Notary Rotary
How do you handle this?
Notary Discussion History

How do you handle this?
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Carol Graff on 5/3/13 10:56pm
Msg #468680

How do you handle this?

Lately, I get so many requests from borrowers that they sign first and the wife sign next so one can watch the kids. I have done this so many times but I've realized this just takes so much more time. Today was a NBS and she was sleeping when I came. So I started on the husband's pkg. She came down 1/2 thru and we started signing with both of them. I got home and realized I did not get her signature on the 3 tax returns (which she is listed on the top of). She is an NBS. I am moving tomorrow--the thought of driving 1 hr.R/T for this really upsets me. Does anyone else let the borrowers do this? Do you think I need the wife's signature on the tax return?

Reply by jba/fl on 5/3/13 11:09pm
Msg #468683

Does anyone else let the borrowers do this?
Only if they are interesting people and we have an instant rapport and I have no where else to go right after.

Do you think I need the wife's signature on the tax return?
Was it printed on the form? yes.
Not printed on form: no
Just not sure: call title co. or settlement agent.

Reply by Rita Adu on 5/4/13 4:54am
Msg #468698

Make Them Respect Your Business

It seems to me like you need to "pull it in". I do not start ANY settlement without all the parties being present. No showers, naps, or "I just have to run out really quick". I will tell them that we have to get started by a certain time or they will have to re-schedule. If there are children, they need to turn on a TV or somehow otherwise handle it. I know there will be disruptions with children in the home, but I don't allow it to get out of hand. I don't come to play or socialize. I come to get documents signed so I can leave. I've had a few children who wanted EVERYBODY's attention in the home. If they don't get the hint by being IGNORED, then I will ask them if they can let mommy and daddy take care of some business for a few minutes & they're usually very cooperative.

Finally - Check your work before leaving the home. I always end my signings by saying "Now if I can have 5 minutes just to go back and make sure we didn't miss anything". I never had anyone not cooperate. Sometimes things are going to be missed. I've found missing dates or initials, etc. and I've been so glad that I took out 5 more minutes to be thorough.

Remember, it's your business. In this business -- time is money. Lay down your rules at the very beginning and then stick with it.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/4/13 12:43am
Msg #468689

No easy answers, Carol ...

I'm thinking you could try to slip through the tax returns on the premises that 1. She's a NBS. 2. He signed them. 3. Tax returns are not *that* big of a deal as long as someone put some ink on them somewhere. If lender really really wants her sig, too, they can fax/e-mail them to her later. Or if they throw a fit, tell them whoops, so sorry, you'll go back out .. but at least it will be at a better time for you, not when you're moving.

As far as signing couples separately, that's a case by case deal, IMO. Sometimes one parent needs to take care of kids/screaming babies and the other parent needs to sign and dash back to work, etc. Sometimes one spouse is late and the other spouse has got to sign and go So it's not always a case of "letting the borrowers do this." But other times, they are just being plain rude.

I have always made clear I'm not going to explain docs the second time, but that never works, because a quarter of the way through the docs, the second signer gets that "WTH is this?" look on their face. Besides, I am not a point'n'sign notary; I'm uncomfortable with a borrower who has no clue what they're doing.

In any case, signing separately always messes thing up (as you found out) and takes more time. So alot depends if you have the extra time. I've put the occasional kabosh on it when there was no reason for it other than the borrowers were taking advantage of me, such as: "My wife just got in the shower, but let's you and I get started." Uh, no. Or when Mr. Borrower let's you know Mrs. Borrower won't be at the signing location where you've just arrived and you're going to have to drive across town to sign her after you sign him. Uh, no. Then there were other times when signing separately is the only way the loan is ever going to happen and you just gotta go with it.

Reply by Carol Graff on 5/4/13 9:17am
Msg #468716

Re: No easy answers, Carol ...

Thank you all for your great answers. I know I need to be more assertive with these borrowers--I can just be a sucker sometimes--especially this lady was pregnant. I even said to the husband, when she gets up I'll have her sign them just to be sure. Since it was NBS and less than 1/2 were her signatures, I did not catch it. I ALWAYS go thru pkg again before I leave--but just not did catch it because of the NBS. Not a good excuse, I know. But I think I will go with goldgirl and let it go thru and hopefully they can email to them if they truly need it. I do like the previous answer also to say "I cannot start signing until all the parties are at the table". I am also not a "point & sign" notary and explain all the docs.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/4/13 10:24am
Msg #468727

Re: No easy answers, Carol ...

I take charge of the signing when I walk through the door. If they are not ready to focus together on the signing I tell them maybe I should return at a more convenient time.
I once had a borrower who was having a PTA meeting the same time. She kept going from the dining room to the living room. I finally suggested we all get together in one room in case anybody else had a question about the Loan. Meeting adjourned!
I also like the "pass the baby back and forth" signings. I say, Hey, I didn't get my turn! LOL

Reply by Linda Juenger on 5/4/13 11:06am
Msg #468737

Tax returns aren't notarized. If they absoultely need them

signed, they can fax, email etc to the borrower to have her sign and return. This can be done during the RTC period. I wouldn't worry about it. Suggest that if they call and want you return. Be apologetic and I bet they will find another way other than have you return

As far as having both parties at the table, I have done it both ways depending on the situation. If it looks to me that they are purposely trying to be a pita, then I get stern and either they are BOTH at the table or threaten with rescheduling. If its a legit case of kids or whatever, I am more understanding and do the best we can. Some people I swear, do it on purpose.

Reply by mmk on 5/6/13 9:08pm
Msg #468979

Re: Tax returns aren't notarized. If they absoultely need them

No way for me. I just explain I have another appointment and it will have to be signed simultaneously, also for accuracy. If they are not focused on the signing it will need to be rescheduled.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.