Notary Rotary
I hate notaries............
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 10:09am
Msg #468254

that work for peanuts. Because of you, companies keep paying less and less. That's right, as long as some of you notaries keep lowering your fees, companies will keep paying less and less. You are pathetic. You have no idea how to run a business. If this isn't working for you, do yourself, and other notaries, a favor and go do something else. Do you realize that by lowering your fees you allow companies to make more money from your hard work? You are killing this industry. You are hurting yourself and other notaries by doing what you're doing. Pathetic.

Reply by BobbiCT on 5/2/13 10:19am
Msg #468255

It isn't notaries PUBLIC ..

Don't blame Notaries Public who can only charge what their state law allows. In CT that is $5 per notarization and 35 cents per mile MAXIMUM.

It is the signing agent services that are subject to each Independent Contractor deciding what to charge to generate a net profit for his/her business. You have to admire a $50-$65 independent contractor who can print multiple sets of loan documents, travel, spend time with the borrower, etc. and still make a net profit after expenses, business license fees, and taxes.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 10:30am
Msg #468259

Re: It isn't notaries PUBLIC ..

<<<<<<<<<You have to admire a $50-$65 independent contractor who can print multiple sets of loan documents, travel, spend time with the borrower, etc. and still make a net profit after expenses, business license fees, and taxes.>>>>>>>>>

This is exactly what I am talking about when I say that some of you have no idea on how to run a business (profitable). If you're charging $50-$65 for a signing, you are not making any money. You might think you are, but you're not. I assure you of that

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/2/13 11:45am
Msg #468288

1Notary1 - be concerned with your business. n/m

Reply by bagger on 5/2/13 10:44am
Msg #468263

Uh, Bobbi

What your state allows you to charge per notarization, and mileage has absolutely nothing to do with your role as a signing agent.
As a signing agent, you can charge as much as the hiring company is willing to pay.
Using your example, In Illinois ($1.00 per notarization), if I did my neighbors REFI, and there are 5 notarizations, are you saying that I can only charge $5.00?

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 5/2/13 11:14am
Msg #468270

?? admire someone who

confuses cash flow with profits? I don't think so. Surely you were being facitious Smile

Reply by BobbiCT on 5/2/13 11:36am
Msg #468281

LOL ...

The poster complained about notaries public; I assume the complaint is about signing agent services.

LOL Smile Ancient posts: NSAs who use their employer time, equipment and supplies for signings and work "under the radar" (don't report any income on their tax returns) do make a good profit. As long as the IRS and State tax departments don't catch them. This was my competition during the last "boom" in signings when I saw offered fees drop from $125-$200 down to $95 down to $65 because "other signing agents can take the assignment for less." My guess is there are still some operating 1) not reporting on tax returns or 2) don't worry about "tomorrow" (taxes and Social Security).

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 5/2/13 11:38am
Msg #468283

Re: LOL ...

You may be right Bobbi. Hopefully their employers will catch on to the theft. Anyone messing with the IRS is insane so that might explain their overall behaviour Smile

Reply by Luckydog on 5/2/13 10:29am
Msg #468258

Sounds like 1Notary1 needs to find a new line of work. Face it times have changed from 5 years ago. You have to look at yourself and not blame everyone else because you do not make money anymore like th good old days. Every industry has taken a hit, and we are no exception. Live with it.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 10:34am
Msg #468262

You're so wrong Luckydog. When companies approach you and ask you to lower your fees because other notaries, like yourself, keep charging less and less, there isn't much you can do about it. So, I'm not the one to blame, you are and all of you other pathetic notaries.

Reply by sp/MI on 5/2/13 10:51am
Msg #468264

The title companies that are contacting you are being paid $$hundreds, then they offer $75 or less so they can keep the profit. Don't you read the HUD? It shows how much the title company is being paid for your closing. Yes, they have work to do on their end, but they should pay you at least half of what they get paid because without you there is no closing. Wake up.... you are being lowballed!!!

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 10:53am
Msg #468267

I don't allow anyone to lowball me and I don't lower my fees.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/2/13 11:48am
Msg #468291

Calm down, 1Notary1. n/m

Reply by Pam/NM on 5/2/13 11:18am
Msg #468272

That's pretty harsh

and uncalled for. How do you know that Luckydog has lowered fees or is accepting lower fees? Pathetic is starting a rant like this.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 5/2/13 11:21am
Msg #468273

Just a person who hides behind a nom de plume,

and is having a hard time competing.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/2/13 11:42am
Msg #468284

Re: Just a person who hides behind a nom de plume,

My thoughts EXACTLY!

This online store owner makes a really GOOD point about competition: http://mywifequitherjob.com/what-to-do-if-a-competing-business-undercuts-you-in-price/

Also, check out that hilarious For Sale photo Smile

I can easily lament: Had I known what kind of "world" I'd be intercepting, I'd easily have pulled the bed covers up over my head and left this idea behind . . . but I fully understand (and not much else) that gas will never be $1 and change per gallon; moms will likely never get to stay home like mine did, etc.

The people who ultimately accept lower fees haven't done their taxes- and are probably the ones who think they still have money in their accounts because they've got checks left! Oh, wait, who writes those anymore (my mom's generation and she balances dutifully), oh bother . . . the REAL world awaits

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 12:20pm
Msg #468301

Nom De Plum. WOW. Impressive. And you're just a notary?
Many NotRot members use a "Nom De Plume". Are they all hiding? Do you even know what it means?
Nom De Plume: A named used by an "author" to write instead of using his real name. What do you find wrong with using a "Nom De Plume?

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/2/13 12:42pm
Msg #468307

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with using alias' (I know some take on many out of fear of getting their heads bashed in). But IMO, inflammatory comments should not be hidden behind cloaks.

Oh, and "Nom De Plum" was a NEW one for me; but all I needed was Nom/name and the rest was easy peasy - even for a notary Smile

Now I know that the OP was, shall we say "in the heat of the moment," but what I was focusing on was the "competition" part. I'm just wondering what it would do for McDonald's "bottom line" if the Golden Arch VP himself tweeted publicly that he HATED Subway or Panera owners just because he was having a bad week?

It's is hard for me to think positive on a empty stomach . . . my goodness, I missed my Lunch!!

Michelle, aka NVLSlady, Northern VA Loan Signing

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/2/13 11:48am
Msg #468290

1Notary1 - stick to your fees. No one is twisting your

arm to accept low fees.
Really, don't blame others. The economy is not as it use to be.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/2/13 12:32pm
Msg #468304

It has little to do with the economy ...

... IMO. Back in the days when the lending industry was smokin' hot and LOs and lenders were making $$ hand over foot, lowball fees were prominent and notary fees were on the decline. I don't remember much anymore but I remember those days!

Then when the economy flattened (like the last few years), they now use that as an excuse. "Oh, we have to tighten our belts cos nobody has any money, whine whine, whine, so we have to cut notary fees, too." BALONEY.

No matter what the economy is, they'll always find a way out of paying us.

All the more reason, "to stick to you fees," as you said, Stephanie!

I think it's exactly as 1Notary1 and Sylvia said, too many NSAs who don't know what they're doing, don't know NR exists. Anything looks better than nothing to them, any call is better than the phone not ringing, and, oh, btw I have access to my employer's internet, paper, printer and car. Wow!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/2/13 1:49pm
Msg #468336

Re: It has little to do with the economy ...

I remember "back in the days" Smile
The going rate for SS was $50 (bear in mind docs were overnighted to the signing agent then) and of course $100 - $125 for Title companies. And for the $50 you didn't go more than 40 miles round trip.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 12:40pm
Msg #468306

Re: 1Notary1 - stick to your fees. No one is twisting your

The economy has nothing to do with it, Stephanie. Obviously, you, and some others, haven't the slightest idea on how this industry works (referring to being a signing agent). These companies (Title, Signing Agencies, Etc.) are worst than sharks. They'll suck your blood and leave you dry if you'll allow them to. They will sell their soul to the devil for $10. Yes, I admit that I am not as busy as I used to be. But the economy has nothing to do with it. It's because of the signing agents that keep lowering their fees. I rather refuse a signing than lower my fees. Show me a professional that does that (Lawyer, Doctor, Etc.). Just remember one thing though, I might not be as busy as I used to be, but some of you signing agents will need to have 3 closings to net the same amount I do with 1.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 5/2/13 12:51pm
Msg #468312

I'm beginning to understand why you're getting less calls.

I don't believe it's the OTHER notaries' fault. Your negativity is the problem, IMO.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 12:58pm
Msg #468314

Re: I'm beginning to understand why you're getting less calls.

OK, Donna. Please explain to me where my negativity is, and why, you believe, I'm getting less calls because of it.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 5/2/13 1:14pm
Msg #468321

I see it in your comments.

'You're so wrong Luckydog. When companies approach you and ask you to lower your fees because other notaries, like yourself, keep charging less and less, there isn't much you can do about it. So, I'm not the one to blame, you are and all of you other pathetic notaries. '

'Nom De Plum. WOW. Impressive. And you're just a notary?'

'The economy has nothing to do with it, Stephanie. Obviously, you, and some others, haven't the slightest idea on how this industry works (referring to being a signing agent).'

I hope this is not the attitude you have if a hiring party says something you don't want to hear. Maybe it is just a bad day for you.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 1:22pm
Msg #468331

Re: I see it in your comments.

<<<<<<<<<<<I hope this is not the attitude you have if a hiring party says something you don't want to hear>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posting and responding to message boards are not the same as responding to a hiring party. I always conduct myself in a professional manner even when I'm offered less for a job.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/2/13 3:56pm
Msg #468379

Donna - I have a successful Signing business since 2000.

Donna,
I have a number of Title Companies and Signing Services that I have worked with for years; they value my work and meet my fee.
Others can charge what the chose to charge. I would never "slam" them for their reasoning.
I am all about friendly Customer service - completing signings with nothing but an above average attitude.
If I by chance receive a call from a Signing Service, I state my fee and here is very little talk of anything else.
They either assign signing to me or not. There is no quibbling over pay.
Donna, have a fantastic day.
Stephanie Santiago

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 5/2/13 5:52pm
Msg #468404

Re: Donna - I have a successful Signing business since 2000.

Stephanie, I was quoting the OP in my post. I consider you a professional and share a lot of your views. I hope you didn't think I was slamming you.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/2/13 11:57am
Msg #468293

1Notarty1: You assume a lot on what I and other'scharge. It's none of your business, but in the past 8 years have not raised nor lowered my prices. I am in the market for my area, and I do not get "lowballed" by my companies. It would be nice to get a "cost of living" increase, but I am not stupid as to price myself out of the market either. I think for what I do and what I get paid is compensation enough to make a fair living.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/2/13 11:46am
Msg #468289

I'm with you on this one, Luckydog. n/m

Reply by desktopfull on 5/2/13 11:42am
Msg #468285

How quickly memory fades......

Quit blaming the notary for the low fees being offered! It was that famous fee schedule proffered by that wonderful xyz association that's claims they are looking out for the notaries best interests. When in actuality all they do is devise schemes to fill their coffers from the hard work of notaries.

They are the ones that marketed that infamous "recommended fee schedule" to companies, along with convincing them that we needed certification and background checks, that of course only they could provide. Which in turn was to force notaries into becoming members of 2 of their sections and purchasing the certification and background. They increased our costs and at the same time provided their recommended fee schedule to these companies which lower our fees. SS's & TC's bought into their recommendations and we are now dealing with the mess this organization created.

They also continue to crank out NSA's by the droves with their "get rich quick" marketing plan, which I'm sure (no proof) they give recommended fees (the infamous fee schedule) for the new NSA to offer and accept.

So now we are plagued with incompetent notaries that really don't have a clue, we get 30+ pages of instructions and samples included with the docs we receive for closings (which increases our printing costs) due to their incompetency, and these low paying companies stay in business. The xyz association will continue to provide an endless supply of "newbies" for the low paying companies, and quite frankly there isn't a thing anyone can do about this situation.

I find it ironic that these same companies are willing to pay me to go back and get just one document re-signed for what they paid an inexperienced notary for doing the entire closing. I figure one day the TC's that use these companies will go elsewhere for their closings as the costs continue to pile up for fixing things.

IMHO, the low ball companies and notaries accepting cheap fees fall solely at the feet of the xyz association and daily complaints on this board isn't going to change anything.

Reply by Tudi/CA on 5/3/13 1:43am
Msg #468514

Re: How quickly memory fades......

I was on the XYZ site yesterday and noticed a statement that they have removed the recommended fee schedule and are now encouraging notaries to use their own judgement in determining their own fee schedule.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/3/13 1:46am
Msg #468515

LOL! n/m

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/2/13 11:44am
Msg #468286

1Notary1 - Do not accept low fees. Set your fee schedule &

stick to it.
Do not blame others.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/2/13 12:02pm
Msg #468295

And I hate notaries

like 1Notary1 who come on a professional forum and rant and rave about notaries working for peanuts etc and calling them pathetic.
Believe it or not there are notaries who will get a call from a signing service and be asked if they will take documents to a borrower, get them signed and notarized and they will pay them $50 (or whatever the lowball fee is) The notary may be unaware of the signing agent industry and the $50 sounds good to them - especially if they are in a state that can only charge $2 per notarization.

Not all notaries are on Notary Rotary and I am pretty certain that those on this forum won't accept the low ball fees. And as desktopfull pointed out, that well known organization set a recommended fee schedule which lowered signing agent fees.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 12:08pm
Msg #468298

Re: And I hate notaries

You're proving my point Sylvia that some notaries have no idea how to run a profitable business. They just didn't do their homework.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/2/13 12:35pm
Msg #468305

And you don't seem to understand that when reality hits these notaries they either leave the profession or adjust their fees and business model. I have a suggestion for you, simply enter the low ball or troublesome companies phone numbers into your phone and block them , then you don't have to deal with them at all in the future. You know who they are, they are complained about daily on this forum.

Also consider this, someone making even $10.00 profit on a closing could be the difference in paying their mtg payment or providing food in today's economy. At least, they are making an effort to take care of their needs instead of relying on a government handout.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 12:48pm
Msg #468309

I understand perfectly. My point is, if no notary would lower their fees, then companies would be forced to pay what we ask. That's all. Juts keep that in mind and hopefully you all will take it under consideration.

Reply by Resilient/MD on 5/2/13 1:12pm
Msg #468320

Re: WOW

WOW! Just reading the forum and I normally do not respond to stuff like this....BUT DAMN! Vent or no Vent who are you to judge on how another person chose to run their own business. I joined this site to be apart of a working group and to learn from one another and share some of my thoughts and experiences......I didnt expect for so many people on here to cut throat on how somebody else handles their own business and set whatever fee they want. I am so frickin disappointed in some of you on how you respond to others.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 1:16pm
Msg #468324

It's called freedom of speech, Resilient, and it's part of our constitution. You didn't have to read it or respond to it if it bothered you that much.

Reply by Resilient/MD on 5/2/13 1:21pm
Msg #468330

Yes, their is such thing called freedom of speech but sometimes freedom of speech do come with a price. Do you BOO! and stop knocking how other notaries set their price.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 12:48pm
Msg #468310

I understand perfectly desktopfull. My point is, if no notary would lower their fees, then companies would be forced to pay what we ask. That's all. Juts keep that in mind and hopefully you all will take it under consideration.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 5/2/13 12:50pm
Msg #468311

P.S.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I just needed to vent out my frustration.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/2/13 1:07pm
Msg #468319

Re: P.S.

Not offended, I was just giving you a bit of perspective on the problem and how it originated.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/2/13 1:44pm
Msg #468335

Why don't you go to a gym then. n/m

Reply by desktopfull on 5/2/13 1:06pm
Msg #468318

Only way for that to happen would be to shut down the xyz churn of false promises to would be notaries, while influencing companies to pay cheap rates. Read my first message in this thread.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/2/13 1:57pm
Msg #468338

The way I see it, if you are an "experienced Signing agent" and have your client base of your regular SS, and they call you regularly, you do not need to be affected by the newbies and lowballers. Anyone who has been in this business does not lower their base price. It has been my experience the lowballers will not pay you anyway, or you will have to wait 45+ days for that check after chasing it down. There is a reason they are cheap. This community of Notary Signing Agents throughout the USA is too large to all agree on one set price...there will always be undercutting, especially when starting out to break into the field and get work. In Florida we are averaging $100.00 or a little more if lucky per closing with edocs within 15 miles...in NY or CA I am sure this is way too low because of just parking your car. It will never be standardized.
Everyone has a right to ask what they want or accept what they want. Just as you will not work for a lower amount, I am sure the SS do not want an inexperienced closer either, so there maybe compromise in the beginning. If you are as good as seem to think you are, you should not be ranting. The newbies are NOT stealing your business. There are many factors of being slow.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/2/13 2:51pm
Msg #468353

5 Star summation!! n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/2/13 1:15pm
Msg #468322

In my state there are close to 200 vendors training

notaries (go to Ca SOS Website to see them) some only charge $15 to $25 to teach someone to become another. I'm sure they don't fit economics in their class. Just a side thought.

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 3:59pm
Msg #468382

60 year old single lady perspective on fees

There are a couple of companies that I do signings for $75.00. These are the two that gave me my first signings and because they have taken a hit with the outsourcing etc I choose to continue at this time to do the signings for them. There is no handholding etc. Here is my perspective or shall I say my reality!!!
I was managing my family's local business that had been around for over 65 years! Competition and the economy brought things to a place where I had to finally close the business. I tried lowering prices, and other such methods to try to recapture the success that we once had. The corporate owned big business through some rather unethical tactics won out. So this 60 year old lady - too young for social security and too old to be hired by the companies in my professional field -- has now found herself fulltime in the Notary Signing Agent Business (which I love most of the time).

In my area some of us tried holding out for the higher fees that we were used to receiving but other notaries are happy to do signings for super low fees. I am still refusing to do as low as they do but I do take these $75.00 signings because after having bought paper, ink etc it will at least reimburse me for the cost of some of these items. If I could get a fulltime job that would pay as well as the NSA business does I would consider it but having applied to many places it is a matter of age.

So I have deciced to "suck it up" and try to adjust somewhat to the lower fees. I do not like it but I figure if I do the very best I can and go the extra mile and shut up and be grateful that I have an income stream
that will at least pay my bills for now. Working at Walmart will not. Sure I would love to make alot more than I do now but with so many people entering this field there is now way too much competition; thus, the success the loan/title companies are having in finding notaries who will take the lower fees. Competition has hurt our fees but short of putting them 6 feet under it looks like competition is here to stay.

Either we have to go with the flow or get out of the business and go find another source of income!!!
Please back off of the new notaries with your critical remarks about their questions on here and please back off on the notaries who do take the lower fees. You are NOT in their shoes - so quit judging them.
If you are as bothered by it as the originator of this thread don't blame the notaries blame the companies that are selling out their businesses to the foreigners who do not have a problem lowering their fees and treating us like a herd of cattle. It is the current state of things and let us pray for it to change. So take the time and energy that you are using to complain and be angry and consider getting on your knees before God for He can turn any mess into a blessing. If you do not believe in Him then do not judge me because I do. So take that time and go volunteer at a nursing home, read a good book, --we can never get a doover on the hours that have passed. Thanks for reading this and I do wise you great success!!

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/2/13 3:58pm
Msg #468381

1Notary1: I hope you end up with a successful business. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.