Notary Rotary
Interspousal Grant Deed Signing GONE WRONG :(
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Jessica/FL on 5/8/13 1:15pm
Msg #469173

Recieved a call for an Interspousal Grant Deed Signing. (The husband was going to sign off on the property.) I get there and the wife opens the door and greets me. She told me to have a seat. I noticed that the door did not have a handle. She had a deadbolt and locked the top and took out the key. At this point I was creeped out. I asked for her husband and she said, "OH, they didn't tell you?" "I can sign for him?" I told her that she is unable to sign for him especially to grant the property to herself. She had me call the officer that she was dealing with. He explained that she had some doctors note. I could see the daggers in her eyes. I continued to explain that I could not complete this signing and I would be finacially liable for her husbands portion. I really felt trapped in the house. I started collecting my belongings. She just sat there. I didn't know what to do. She kept saying, "what if I sign his name and then put my name next to it." At this point I just wanted to get out. I said ok, but I don't think that title (or anyone) would accept that. She signed, and then got up, got the key and let me out. I called the hiring party and told them that unfortuantely I was unable to complete this signing. Document is shredded. Please let me know what you would have done.

Reply by sueharke on 5/8/13 1:57pm
Msg #469180

The same. Sometimes it is okay to lie to stay alive. If you get a signing at the same address next time, meet in a public place and not the signers residence.

Reply by Resilient/MD on 5/8/13 2:00pm
Msg #469182

Wow! I believe I would have done the same exact thing.....GREAT QUICK THINKING TO GET OUT OF THEIR.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/8/13 1:59pm
Msg #469181

You know what...that was pretty smart of you to let her sign then leave and destroy the Docs after explaining to hiring party. Very intelligent damage control, specially if you were afraid. I might have to do that myself if I ever need to avoid an argument. They sign they way they insist, you leave with Docs, then destroy. Brilliant!

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/8/13 2:14pm
Msg #469188

Take up martial arts?

Thank goodness you're safe! That was a smart move.

You may even have the option to make a police report. You were locked in against your will?

maybe there should be a R.A.D. program for notaries?

http://www.rad-systems.com/rad_programs.html

can think of many worse outcomes...

Reply by snowflake/PA on 5/8/13 2:15pm
Msg #469189

Quick thinking on your part. Quite clever to let her sign, get out of there, call hiring party and then destroy the doc. I will keep your tactic in mind should I encounter this. I always get creeped out when BOs lock door when I am there for the signing.

Safety first.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/8/13 2:31pm
Msg #469192

I agree with everyone on this one: you were very smart!

Good thinking. If I ever find myself in that situation, I will remember how you handled this, doing much the same. Glad it worked and you are ok.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/8/13 2:37pm
Msg #469193

Ditto. I don't think I would have thought of that. I might

have called the police, though. It sounds like she was holding you hostage.

Reply by Rita Adu on 5/8/13 3:15pm
Msg #469206

Brilliant n/m

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/8/13 3:17pm
Msg #469208

Thank you all for your support.

It was really bothering me. I hope it is a situation that I (we) never have to encounter again. I have never been to a house where there was no door hande on the other side and just a deadbolt with a key. Frown This is a perfect example of why I should always tell someone where I am at all times while out at a signing. I know that this could have turned out really ugly.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/8/13 4:02pm
Msg #469218

Re: Ditto. I don't think I would have thought of that. I might

As everyone has stated, YOU HANDLED IT BRILLIANTLY! Gotta remember that. I thank God you're ok. Definitely report to police.

Reply by SharonMN on 5/8/13 4:39pm
Msg #469228

OK, aside from the uncomfortable situtation you were in, how did this "officer" decide she could sign for him? Did she have a POA? Since, as the notary, we are not charged with determining whether a POA is in effect or valid, I probably would have had her sign as AIF for her hubby and then return the docs with a note that she didn't appear to actually have a valid POA and that they should definitely get one before relying on or filing the deed. I'm assuming this wasn't GNW and there was a hiring party other than her.

>> I asked for her husband and she said, "OH, they didn't tell you?" "I can sign for him?" I told her that she is unable to sign for him especially to grant the property to herself. She had me call the officer that she was dealing with. He explained that she had some doctors note.

Reply by sueharke on 5/8/13 4:59pm
Msg #469230

Is it possible that the wife and LO are working together to defraud the husband?

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/8/13 7:58pm
Msg #469258

It is possible... I think its more that they EO wanted

his deal to close. I honestly don't know.

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/8/13 7:57pm
Msg #469256

The EO played stupid. When I called he said that she had a doctors note. I told him that that work work for school and work, but not to sign property. He said that he didn’t realize that it would be an issue. I wanted her to sign ____ by ___ as his attorney in fact, but she clearly said that she did not have POA. After the signing I check with one of my TO friends and he told me that even if she did have POA, she would be unable to transfer property from principle to POA since it would be self serving.

The lady is shady... the EO is shady. I have no problem with the fact that this EO will never call me again! Smile

Reply by ikando on 5/8/13 8:10pm
Msg #469260

Jessica, you may want to also contact the Florida state authorities to give them a heads up on a potential fraud activity.

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/8/13 8:14pm
Msg #469262

I am in California now. I would contact someone

but I wouldn't know where to start? The SOS, Title, DOJ?

Reply by Robert522TX on 5/8/13 8:36pm
Msg #469264

Crazy!! Curious....how many have CHL permit and carry

a gun to signings...??

Reply by JJNotary/CA on 5/8/13 11:33pm
Msg #469291

Here's what the CA SOS website says in regards to reporting

possible fraud:

Fraud or other criminal acts, such as forgery, embezzlement, or elder abuse, etc., that may have been committed, are matters for local law enforcement authorities or the district attorney's office in the county where the alleged fraudulent or unlawful acts occurred.

Agreed, worth reporting - glad you are safe!!

Reply by IDANotary on 5/9/13 2:11pm
Msg #469422

Re: Crazy!! Curious....how many have CHL permit and carry

Don't carry a gun, but I do carry Pepper Spray, especially when i worked in SoCal!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.