Notary Rotary
Jurat format for Utah docs.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by JeffC/CA on 5/10/13 12:08am
Msg #469531

Hi, I have a loan signing that has an affidavit that starts with the venue which says State: Utah, County: (blank), followed by the body of the aff. blah blah blah, followed by "sworn before me on, etc., title, residing in, official signature, etc.

I know I'll have to stamp or attach my CA jurat, but should I line through the venue at the head of the document? Should I just line through "Utah" and initial and put California and my county? I prefer not to use any of theirs but don't want to butcher the document. I plan on lining through second half of jurat at end of page and inserting my own.

Just the jurat in two pieces I guess that bothers me. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Reply by JeffC/CA on 5/10/13 12:27am
Msg #469538

I want to be more clear, just in case.

The venue is at the top of the document. First thing.
The rest of the jurat is at the bottom of the document.
The affidavit verbiage is the meat in the middle.

Mmm jurat sandwich!

Reply by jnew on 5/10/13 9:06am
Msg #469554

If you are using the heading as your venue, definitely line through and replace with the venue of signing. I will initial the change and have the signers initial as well. I consider it to be a venue for the notarization and the document itself, so I have all parties initial the change.

Reply by JeffC/CA on 5/10/13 12:11pm
Msg #469580

I will use my own stamp with venue, so

I don't know if it still needs to be crossed out or not. It is definitely part of the original jurat, it seems. It has the ss (scilicet) next to it. It just seems wrong to leave it with Utah in it, even though my jurat will have the correct venue in CA.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/10/13 12:53pm
Msg #469586

FWIW ....

I never cross out anything in the loan docs that isn't absolutely, positively necessary, and that definitely includes any reference to any venue. But that's just me.

However, I believe this subject was mega-discussed on NR before, and the general consensus was to leave untouched whatever venue the lender had printed at the top of the doc, but, of course, change the venue in your cert if necessary. I think the reasoning was that the venue on the doc may pertain to where the property is located and has nothing to do with where the signing took place. You could try an orange button search. This was a few years ago, I think. (Regardless, I still don't change anything unless I have to, such as RTC dates).

p.s. I hope this is what you were asking!(?) You'll be attaching or stamping a CA compliant jurat on the doc in any case. To me, that's all you need to do and it's not wrong at all to just leave Utah or whateven the lender had printed alone.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/10/13 1:01pm
Msg #469588

Actually, to clarify ...

If you are talking about the venue printed at the top of the doc, I would leave that alone.

If you are talking about the venue that's part of the jurat. I would draw a single diagonal line through the entire jurat, initial (just you; borrowers don't need to initial) and than stamp your CA jurat.

Reply by JeffC/CA on 5/10/13 1:53pm
Msg #469593

Re: Actually, to clarify ... Thank you!

Thank you GG. (May I call you GG?) That's a great answer. I will do just that--use my own stamp and line out the jurat fragment at the end of the page (no venue). Makes sense.

I think I tried a search. I've searched so much I don't know anymore.

I'm glad you all are here in this forum to help.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/10/13 9:43pm
Msg #469631

^^^^Perfect Advice - Do This ^^^ n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.