Notary Rotary
Just got my a** chewed out on the phone from an attorney
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 5/15/13 9:38am
Msg #470034

that I did a purchase for last week at a bank. He asked me if the buyer's were given the keys to the property. I stated that the Realtor was at the closing and what they did after I left, I have no idea. He was sternly talking to me like a child and kept saying that the keys should not have been given out till it funded. He was the rudest, most sarcastic SOB on the phone to me. I simply stated to him that it was NOT my responsiblity to make sure keys were not given out. I didn't even see the keys, much less pay any attention at all to what they were going to do after they signed. Not my job. I pretty much just said, sorry sir, we are done here and hung up. WTH ??

I have such a low tolerance for attorney's, that any confrontation with them my blood pressure goes up and this brought my tolerance a bit lower. We're almost at the bottom now.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/15/13 10:34am
Msg #470036

Sorry you had to go through that Linda. Frown

Kind of sounds like he just got his a$$ chewed out and was looking to flex his Napoleon-little-man-little-muscle. He should know keys are the Realtor's domain, not the notary's.

Reply by Frances Kany on 5/15/13 10:37am
Msg #470038

My thought exactly Yoli. Besides that a Purchase funds right away as soon as Title has the paperwork, correct? I deal with attorneys all the time. Believe it or not, some are super nice but most as a general rule can get ugly for no reason. Brush it off. It was certainly NOT your fault. Have a drink and get ready for month end.

Reply by SharonMN on 5/15/13 10:48am
Msg #470042

When I sold and bought a house on the same day, I had to wait around for several hours for the wire to come though from the sale so title could mark the purchase as paid and send me on my way. (I was using proceeds from the sale of my old place as a down payment on the new property). My Realtor (who was also a friend) bought me lunch while we were waiting.

>>>Besides that a Purchase funds right away as soon as Title has the paperwork, correct?

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/15/13 11:15am
Msg #470049

Linda, sorry about that experience but this technique will work if it happens again. Just be real quiet and listen. When they pause, say nothing. Then, when he says "are you there?" Just respond, "were you talking to me?"

You'll feel much better.....after you hang-up!

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/15/13 11:17am
Msg #470051

Love it, Notarysigner--LOL n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/15/13 4:50pm
Msg #470120

I like that response, too, James

He wouldn't have spoken to me like that. I would have interrupted him and very quickly and said, "When you can speak to me with decency and respect, I'll listen, but until then....<CLICK!!!>

Reply by Luckydog on 5/15/13 12:33pm
Msg #470069

If he knew you were a "mobile closer" he would also know we do not handle keys, that is the realtors position. We merely tell them that until the "realtor" hears from title when it funds she cannot release any keys, and are usually in the key box or from listing agent. if she does, her problem. What a jerk. Surprising they graduate from law school and get paid.

Reply by Buddy Young on 5/15/13 11:14am
Msg #470048

99% of attorneys make the others look bad.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 5/15/13 11:45am
Msg #470054

He tipped his hand just by calling you

Obviously, he's unaware of who does what and when they do it. To compensate for a lack of any real clue, he just turned up his volume.

Reply by Les_CO on 5/15/13 12:39pm
Msg #470073

We now have among other things a coyote (the canine kind, not the soon-to-be-Colorado-voters ‘guide’ kind) problem here in Colorado. They are smart and shifty, and hard to get rid of especially in suburban areas. You can’t shoot’um (all guns are bad), can’t poision’um (EPA), can’t trap’um (PETA) and the ONLY thing they WON’T eat, or go near is Lawyers. Now my problem is how do I find the money to hire a lawyer to sit in my yard all night? Maybe a Government grant of some kind? I probably could get a ‘green energy’ grant for a few million, if I could get the lawyer to sit under a shiny metal umbrella holding a glass of Kool-Aid….. but at night? Could this be lunar-energy? Under the new “Lunacy Czar”

Reply by HSH/WA on 5/15/13 1:49pm
Msg #470085

Re: Wrong for him to chew on the notary for a keys issue. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.