Notary Rotary
Laptops
Notary Discussion History

Laptops
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Mike Goodey on 5/11/13 5:30pm
Msg #469680

Laptops

Anyone have a preference towards laptops used for work? I have had a dell inspiron for about 5 years and need a new one. I've heard HP makes good printers but what about laptops? What about toshiba? Forget an apple...too much. Acer? Sony? Just wondering...most of the time it will be used for work and occasionally for play.
Thanks for any input!

Reply by hodgy on 5/11/13 5:55pm
Msg #469682

I have had pretty good luck with HP Laptops. I bought my wife a Toshiba and she doesn't even use it that much and I have already had to replace the keyboard and the screen. Thumbs down on Toshiba.

Reply by ajd/pa on 5/11/13 6:14pm
Msg #469683

I have an HP and really like it. It has been back to get fixed twice in the year that I have had it, but both times it was under warranty, so HP paid for it. It has been a good machine for me to do all of my work. Since this is my first laptop, I can't give you any opinions on other brands.

Reply by Robert522TX on 5/11/13 6:57pm
Msg #469685

I have a friend who had a really bad experience with Toshiba's.
A few years back, I bought an Acer laptop at Walmart, and it is still going strong; however at Christmas time, my wife bought us both a new HP laptop. We were really excited about it, but within 2 weeks, they were so screwed up that the online help desk couldn't do anything with them and we sent them back. A few week's ago, we bought new Dell's, and they are fantastic.

Reply by Frank/NC on 5/11/13 7:17pm
Msg #469686

I have been partial to HP laptops and just bought an HP XPS 13" laptop with Windows 7. I'e tried the Windows 8 and ended up bringing it back. By the way, I also but them at Costco in that they have a liberal return policy. You can bring them back within 90 days for any reason and realistically, they will even take them back after that. Also, their prices are excellent. I don't know what others here think of Windows 8 but I tried it and think it's terrible and that is why I wanted Windows 7 in the laptop I bought.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/11/13 7:38pm
Msg #469687

Have an HP no complaints.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/11/13 8:15pm
Msg #469689

I have two Dells, one HP...Dell wins!

Reply by John Tennant on 5/11/13 9:16pm
Msg #469692

I have a Toshiba Satellite, my second one. Both the first one, and the newest one outperform the HP that I used to have.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/11/13 9:32pm
Msg #469693

I've never had an HP to compare to, but I'm also on my 2nd Toshiba - and very happy with it. I bought a better quality one this time and can tell the difference in keyboard, etc., but my old one is still working, too. I had to replace the fan on that one a couple of times, but that was because I had a long-hair kitty at that time who liked to hang around near me - and my laptop. PC fans and lots of cat hair don't mix too well...

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 5/11/13 10:44pm
Msg #469702

In what way, John?

Thanks for the information, Janet. I have three cats that like to sit on anything with my scent on it.

Reply by dawn/IL on 5/11/13 11:23pm
Msg #469706

I have a Toshiba Satellite, had a Dell, Had a HP, I LOVE my Toshiba Satellite!!!

Reply by Luckydog on 5/13/13 5:41am
Msg #469739

Had 2 HP desktops and one laptops, disliked all. They did not last more than 2 years each. I would go with Dell.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/13/13 6:40am
Msg #469742

That's weird, I had a dell and it never worked more than 3 months at a stretch without having to be repaired, after nine months I replaced it, it also ate batteries like crazy.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/12/13 3:29am
Msg #469711

HP - my computer guru said they have the least amount of problems. So far, great. Windows7 is the bomb.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 5/12/13 5:45am
Msg #469713

I've had Dells and HP. I prefer the HP, easy to use and reliable.

Reply by ToniK on 5/12/13 7:37am
Msg #469714

I used to be a Dell & HP user but they turned out to be crappy computers. I love my Toshiba. Had it for almost 2 yrs now. Looking to upgrade mine soon to another Toshiba with i7. I currently have a Toshiba with i3.

Reply by RickG/CA on 5/12/13 2:59pm
Msg #469721

It'll all come down to what you prefer in a machine. The brands you've listed all have quality products. Some things to look for

Operating Software: Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Chrome
Screen size: too small you'll find yourself straining your eyes too big may be a distraction
Weight: will you be hefting this around all day, what is your fatigue limit
Keyboard: is it comfortable to type on; do you need a 10-key
Touch/Non Touch Screen: W8 infinitely better with touch; is it necessary for you.
Form factor: ultrabook, notebook or tablet what is your preference and future wants.
Type: home base model; business class

A trip to your local office supply store/best buy/Costco etc where a variety of machines are available to try is definitely suggested. Try typing a page or two, re-typing an article or page out of a book is a good way to know if the keyboard flows with your typing style. Enter data to a spreadsheet. Identify the top 5 things you'll spend most of your time doing and get intimate with the prospective machines. What you need done should direct the purchase you make.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/13/13 5:43am
Msg #469740

RickG/CA Operating Software: Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Chrome

Chrome is your browser, not operating system. Just saying

Reply by RickG/CA on 5/13/13 3:04pm
Msg #469787

Google Chrome is indeed a web browser, however I was referring to the Linux based Google Chrome OS. I believe Samsung makes a Chromebook that runs Chrome OS.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/13/13 2:05pm
Msg #469778

It's going to be tough to find any not loaded with Win8. I

recently upgraded my desktop (Dell) from Win XP to Win 7. My tech guy said I'd have lot of problems with Win8. It's been primarily designed for tablets & touch-screens (which, of course) is where things are headed, IMO.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/13/13 4:25pm
Msg #469800

I'm speculating here, but it seems to me that at least one of the the biggest differences in laptops might be variances in quality from one model to the next, within a particular brand. I've owned two Toshiba Satellite pcs. With the first one, over time, the letters on the keyboard began to actually wear off. (Good thing I'm a reasonably decent touch typist. Wink) That was a pretty inexpensive model and I spent a good bit more for the newer one. Just by way of example, the difference in the keyboard is significant. The newer one I can tell is much better quality. (I got the back-lit one - and I LOVE it!)

One of the key things you need to do is make sure you have enough additional processing power and memory, as newer versions of software and whatever OS you go with will nearly always require more. For example, some young techie at one store told me that the i3 processor should be more than enough for me (judging from my age, I guess, 'cause that was before he asked anything about how I would use it). I got the i5 processor and I'm really glad I didn't go any less. (This one works fine for me, but I doubt the i3 would have.) Also, RAM is relatively cheap these days, so make sure you don't skimp there.

Beyond that, when I was looking, I asked what you're asking of lots of different people and seemed to get a different answer from everyone. Didn't help me much. You might try the various online tech reviews to see if you can find any useful trends. Good luck!

Reply by MikeC/KY on 5/14/13 12:01am
Msg #469824

MacBook Pro for me

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.