Notary Rotary
Need Your Help Regarding Notary/Mortgage Training
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by PegiT_MN on 5/25/13 3:05pm
Msg #471270

I am participating in a college internship program this summer where a college student will be working with me in exchange for college credits. My intern has her notary commission and has passed her background check. One of my local title companies is participating in the program and my intern will be going with me for these closings.

I would really like to make this a positive experience for her and would like to be able to give her as much notary/mortgage training/informational data as I can. Are there any handouts that you can suggest that I may be able to give her that she can study. Notary 101 information. Mortgage 101 training. She won't be doing any closings, but she will be accompanying me on several closings over the next two months and I would like to be able to give her some written materials. If any of you have went to any classes and received any written information, could you please pm me with the information and if I could get it from you. I would be more than willing to pay you for any of the information/handouts you could send to me. Thank you so much.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/25/13 4:28pm
Msg #471276

There are a ton of books to order online to do our job.

How do you feel about giving her the headstart and then perhaps she will start doing some closings on her own in your territory in her spare time for extra money? She has quite the advantage, personalized training, in with a title company already, pretty nice...What kind of college internship course would this be for? ...Just sort of weird that she could get a college credit for this, when a college degree is not required for our jobs, and not an apprenticeship type of thing for the title company. Just curious. Also...what college give someone credits when not performed by an accredited school or licensed teacher who is accredited with that college? Who are you to issue college credit, when you are not a licensed teacher for the state or school, you just have a commission like everyone else? Just curious.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/25/13 4:36pm
Msg #471278

Huh? Lucky, you don't know much about interns, eh?

I don't know what to say about the competition, that is a potential problem.

But internships mean learning how to do something...and yes, when I have interns, I have input on their grades.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/25/13 4:53pm
Msg #471283

Ditto! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/25/13 4:34pm
Msg #471277

Intern training - teach them to fish!

I handle internships differently. Rather than giving the intern materials, I have an intern create materials. I assume that an intern has basic skills, otherwise, he/she would not be an intern.

I hand them two binders and packages of dividers.

"During your internship with me, you will create a notebook of reference material and a manual of how to do your job. At the end of the semester/year/whatever, you will clean it up and make it readible. That one will be yours; you will make a copy of it for me and I will review it. I will write a letter to your professor (Peg, in your case, the TC, or program director) and I will write a letter of recommendation for you for future employment.

Then, I start "teaching" the intern how to do each task they need to know.

IMHO, you are not helping an intern if you give them too much info. They will not read it. Make them work for it.

Each time you are together, you cover a topic...like ID or using a journal. She needs to write her notes in her own words. Also, she needs to find CREDIBLE source material to use in that part of the binder.

YOU don't need to do the work. INTERNS do the work.

You can give her NR as a source and Google. The rest his up to her to dig in and learn while she is on the job. Treat her as if you expect her to carry her load.

I also have interns complete a project. That is pretty common in most internships. For NSA interns they can set up a invoicing and filing system...or, a database of good companies, or develop a marketing letter for your business and see how well it works. Maybe you need a logo...let them use their talents to do a project that suits them. One 2012 college beauty queen intern built fourteen shelves in cabinets for me!

Finally, NEVER answer a question that they can answer themselves using Google or NR. Teach them to go to Google. I also show respect to them by letting them do the "real" job while I go do the sort of crappy work IF they can show that they can be trusted to handle things.

I think that this is a good way to manage interns. I have handled a dozen interns and student workers in the last eight years. They hate me on occasion for five minute intervals, but the first time they have a light bulb moment and grab their reference manual or realize how valuable the book will be for them (and me), they like what we are doing and they work on their notebook constantly. Two of my interns are working with me....one above me, one is my new employee.

Most of them call me when they are in town to meet them at the local student hangouts by the Unv. after Aggie football. It's a joke now with my 30-yo son...he says, "What is wrong with this picture, my mom has prettier and cooler friends than I do!!!"

That's not because I am such an awesome old gal, it's because I was one of the first adutls who treated them like an equal and I taught them something they don't learn in college classes.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 5/25/13 6:35pm
Msg #471290

Re: Intern training - teach them to fish!

Thank you so very much for this most valuable information Brenda. I want this to be a good experience for her and the fact that you have done this and could pass on your knowledge to me is very much appreciated. Thank you again. I've got the binders and tabs all ready for her.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/25/13 6:54pm
Msg #471292

Re: Intern training - teach them to fish!

Peg, I realize now you only have two months...must be what we call "mini mester."

If you want me to help you with some ideas, pm me. If you think you've got it, great!

This is an interesting situation. I hope it is a good experience for you.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/25/13 5:01pm
Msg #471286

I'm glad to see someone else found this puzzling..

A local title company - local to you - is asking you to train your potential competition? And I'm also curious - what kind of college course requires this type of information? Real Estate Broker/Mortgage Broker possibly?

Also - you said the intern is already a notary - so Notary 101 should not be in the picture. What kind of information can you provide regarding Mortgage 101. I know you used to be in the field, but still....

The competition angle really would have me wondering and if it were me I would not be okay with it. Let the title company provide the internship.

JMO

Reply by Luckydog on 5/25/13 5:42pm
Msg #471287

Re: I'm glad to see someone else found this puzzling..

Agree with Linda

Reply by PegiT_MN on 5/25/13 6:49pm
Msg #471291

You've got it all wrong Linda.......that is not what an internship is. A local title company is not asking me to train my potential competition. She is not taking college courses for real estate broker/mortgage broker......people don't go to college for that. An internship is where a college student works for a company (typically it is a non-paid position) to gain college credits. She is a Human Resources major/Business minor and will be working in the field of Human Resources when she graduates. She had an opportunity to work for a construction company or working for the title company and she chose the title company because they are going to let her do a broader variety of work for them including some human resources. She is not being trained to do my job and become my competition. She is gaining experience working for a company during her summer break, gaining college credits, and she will be able to put the experience on her resume for future employment in her field.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/25/13 9:31pm
Msg #471304

WOW! I could really use an extra pair of hands. I think I'll look into finding someone for the summer to assist me. What a great idea, Peg.

Reply by Lisa Thornton on 5/25/13 7:09pm
Msg #471295

The "Competition" monster

I don't understand all of this *fright and paranoia* about competition. None of us can be everywhere at the same time. We may be unavailable to accept notary work for other reasons. Therefore, if a caller can be referred to another experienced notary who shares the same work ethic, is professional, polished and available - by all means, I will pass along business to my notary friends. And they do the same for me. It's a win-win for all of us.

The alternative is to apologize to the caller and tell them I'm unavailable, have a nice day - and leave them to search for another notary. That's not how I choose to operate.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/25/13 10:19pm
Msg #471309

Re: The "Competition" monster

Lisa, this just makes so much Sense to me Smile I have a Business. Someone (another business owner) called me for gnw at her workplace and I wasn't available. I contacted an experienced fellow notary/"business owner" and explained the scenario and offered her the opportunity. Potential client got another good reference; I look like a (sh)hero. Business people talk amongst themselves. Word spreads ("Hey, did you know there are some great mobile notaries right under our noses?!!) We all win. My business model is to offer a Solution to a problem. And as you said, I can NOT be everywhere all the time!

PegiT: The major TC companies usually have all the homebuyer101 literature readily available. I have seen first rate materials (and Free!) in these offices - and saved much of it when I was a licensed R.E. agent. I'd just have your intern download your notary handbook, bind at kinkos and ask the TC for their homeownership marketing guides. Fannie and Freddie also have GREAT stuff she can order for free Smile

(I honestly thought I might be in the "wrong" place for a moment when I read your post). Good job!! Community outreach is sure to help someone else AND get YOUR business noticed.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.