New twist for homes with dogs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 9:32am
Msg #471569

Their dog has fleas Frown

As soon as I got to my car, I poured rubbing alcohol all over my arms/legs, back, hands, chest, feet (thankfully I was wearing a dress and I keep a bottle in my first aid kit in my trunk). When I got home, I came out of my dress as soon as I walked thru the door. Hubby was ready with my bath and I put my dress in the trash Frown

I called the hiring party who felt really bad and agreed to reimburse me for the dress, calamine lotion and rubbing alcohol. I feel so much better now and I'm sure I got rid of the fleas.

So now I feel like saying when they ask if I'm okay with dogs, "I'm okay with dogs but not with fleas". I honestly dont know if they knew it or not. But feel like they had to have known.....

Reply by HSH/WA on 5/29/13 11:12am
Msg #471580

Re: I always request that dogs be put away. Sometimes

the BOs even comply. Mostly it has been OK either way.

Reply by Rita Adu on 5/29/13 11:16am
Msg #471582

Yikes. Never thought about that n/m

Reply by parkerc/ME on 5/29/13 11:22am
Msg #471583

Me neither! I'm dog friendly, but not flea friendly! n/m

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 5/29/13 11:56am
Msg #471589

Really need not worry

Dog & cat fleas don't like people, and won't live on you. MANY years ago, I was a dog groomer and vet asst - all day long I handled infested dogs & cats (poor things), never took any home and actually was rarely bitten (by fleas - dogs, not so rare!). If a house is grossly infested, you might get a bite - usually about 6" up the ankle. It's a taste-test, and you won't pass.

Not to say they're not icky & 'infest' your mind - but you might feel better knowing they don't like you any more than you like them.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 2:38pm
Msg #471620

Thanks for info. That's good to know! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/29/13 5:46pm
Msg #471652

Re: Really need not worry

That must vary with the type of flea... Years ago I used to live in an apartment within a mile or so of the beach and I used to get attacked on my way to the mailbox! (Welts all over my ankles - and that was in the days when I wore a skirt and panty hose to work every day...) I heard they were sand fleas and very hard to get rid of in that area.

Moved to downtown LA from there, and it was actually a big step up. I've heard it said that nothing can live there, but not true. At least there weren't any fleas - until I got talked into adopting a stray cat! Fortunately, that was just before another move - but that's a whole other story... Wink

Reply by Darlin_AL on 5/30/13 10:57am
Msg #471697

Re: Really need not worry

HA! Maybe the fleas don't live on us humans, but they sure as heck jump on & bite in droves when there is an infestation in the yard, house, wherever. It's all about fresh blood. Some pet owners are just still believing the "flea collar" is all that's needed for fido or kitty or anything fur-bearing. Fleas love a yard....you walk by...they jump on you....especially sandy & or shady areas. I hope you sprayed your car interior too.

Reply by RickG/CA on 5/29/13 1:43pm
Msg #471613

I just put a few drops of Frontline between my shoulder blades at the beginning of the each month and I'm good to go!

Now if I could just stop the urge to walk across the room using my arms (let it sink in...)

Reply by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 2:37pm
Msg #471619

Thanks Rick, I needed that laugh :) n/m

Reply by ajd/pa on 5/29/13 5:38pm
Msg #471651

Yes, thank you for the laugh. I also work in a vet's office so sell a lot of Frontline and also joke with my younger daughter (who seems to attract ticks) that I am going to put Frontline on her.
Fleas and ticks are nasty but the fleas don't like us much (wish I could say that about the ticks).

Reply by MW/VA on 5/29/13 3:10pm
Msg #471636

I hope it wasn't one of your favorite dresses, because there

really wasn't any reason to toss it. Fleas don't live in anything that doesn't have blood for them to live on, and as Renee said, that's not human blood.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 3:37pm
Msg #471643

No its wasnt one of my favs, but it just felt 'dirty' n/m

Reply by Luckydog on 5/30/13 10:44am
Msg #471693

Re: No its wasnt one of my favs, but it just felt 'dirty'

Over acting just a bit. I volunteer at a shelter, and fleas have never been a concern. Much rather be worried about head lice from a couch or chair. Only time fleas will bite a person if there is no food source, such as inside a vacant house, and no dogs or cats around, and will see them jump up from the carpet. You sounded like you went a bit "extreme".

Reply by Darlin_AL on 5/30/13 11:02am
Msg #471698

Expert opinions please stop!

So wrong about your statement due to your work in vet office. duuuuh vet keeps office clean & sanitized & de-fleed with products, bathing animals, etc. As I maintain from unfortunate personal experience, if there are enough fleas that haven't had lunch, you are it. So you have several bites & they jump off full. It still itches. Try Listerine for the itch, I think it's the camphor in the original product.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.