Notary Rotary
Newbie getting started
Notary Discussion History

Newbie getting started
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by chrish/oh on 5/18/13 8:47pm
Msg #470455

Newbie getting started

I just got my Notary in OH. I am a Realtor so I am familiar with loan docs and closings. And I have an online certification course I am almost done with. I had a call from a company the other day I couldn't do it was that afternoon and I already had an appointment. I was hoping I could have a company go over what I need to do with the docs first time. Cert course is just going over the docs required which I already know from real estate. But this guy sounded like he wouldn't help even if I could have done it. Any advice to get my feet wet?

Reply by jba/fl on 5/18/13 9:07pm
Msg #470458

Take off your shoes and jump into the deep end of the pool.

Reply by Blueink_TN on 5/18/13 9:32pm
Msg #470460

Martha, your profile screams non-confident. Change it, only state positive comments. With your background in RE, you probably know more than most of the new SA's starting out. Learn your notary procedures and you'll do just fine!

Reply by chrish/oh on 5/18/13 9:42pm
Msg #470461

Thanks Blueink. I thought hitting my non experience head on would work to my advantage. And yes the notary side of the closing docs is where I will need help in beginning. Maybe I will change to stress the dozens of closings I have attended as Realtor.

Reply by KLPsandiego on 5/18/13 9:54pm
Msg #470462

Martha, I sent you a private message. You have to go back "my account" and look for it.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/18/13 9:54pm
Msg #470463

Chris
Your negative profile will only get you calls from the low ball signing services who will feel they can take advantage of you.
You more than likely know the loan documents inside out. The notary side is just making sure you know your state's notary laws and notarizing the documents according to Ohio law.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/18/13 10:32pm
Msg #470466

<<<I just got my Notary in OH.>>>

You did not receive your "Notary"......you received your "commission". Also, fix the grammar mistakes in your profile. Poor grammar says "unprofessional".

Reply by Doris_CO on 5/18/13 10:54pm
Msg #470468

Learn to use the orange search button whenever you have a question about a loan document or procedure. You'll see the orange search button when you are on the main forum page. Also, go to Msg #33325, and read everything. There is a wealth of information in that message. Some is outdated, but even the outdated comments will give you a great education on this business. Be sure to set you fees based on you making a profit. Some companies will try to convince you to take a lower fee in order to get experience. The only experience you'll get is less money in your pocket and more in theirs and they'll always expect you to take the lower fee no matter how many years you work for them. And, most important, as you start accepting assignments, go to Signing Central and look up that company's rating. Don't work for any company who has less then 3 stars. Even some of those with 3 stars can become headaches if they don't pay you. You can always give the assignment back if you find out the company has a bad reputation for payment.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/18/13 11:06pm
Msg #470470

TIPS FROM A VETERAN.

Only work for the best. 4 and 5 star companies, forget the rest. Develop your own clientele aside from SC.

Don't agree to 45 BIZ days for payment. When a company calls you and asks if you're available, say yes if are, depending on their rating in SC, and if they can meet your fee. Don't allow any one to take advantage of you.

Ask lots of ??? if you have them.

Competence, reliability, integrity, knowledge, important skills and traits to possess if you want to be successful.

TREAD CAREFULLY, it's a jungle out there full of snakes, spiders, carnivores, villains, scam artists, criminals and hood winkers.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/19/13 1:34am
Msg #470472

Great advice!

As Cheryl well knows, it seems that the better companies understand when I have lots of questions if they're calling me for the first time. The ones who get indignant or don't have patience or try to make me sound like what I'm asking is out of the ordinary, I will assume are that way because they're trying to hide something. And the more they protest or try to wheedle on fees, the less likely I am to want to give them a chance. I'm generally very happy to let those go and have often later find out that I dodged a bullet.

Reply by SharonMN on 5/20/13 9:32am
Msg #470566

I think there is a difference between having questions and wanting a hiring party to go over everything with you. That's kind of like asking a homeowner to walk the plumber through the steps of replacing a toilet. They hire you to get a job done and expect you to know how.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/20/13 6:44pm
Msg #470652

Thanks for clarifying. I read this thread over a period a time with multiple interruptions and forgot about the original poster's comments (which I just reread). Wink Yes, I did mean questions about the company and their business practices, not about how to do the work. That's one of the reasons I've often commented here about new people not trying to work for title companies right out of the starting blocks. They don't have the time or patience to answer "how-to" questions. Some signing services might be more willing to deal with that.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/19/13 9:54am
Msg #470486

TY for providing proof that NSA Certifications are worthless

Welcome and Good Luck.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.