Notary Rotary
Notary Rotary Journal
Notary Discussion History

Notary Rotary Journal
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by KarenVentura on 5/7/13 12:19pm
Msg #469030

Notary Rotary Journal

I want to switch over the Notary Rotary Journal. My other journal is not full yet. Can I do this mid way through, or do I have to wait until the current journal is full?
thanks

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/7/13 12:40pm
Msg #469032

You can start a new journal whenever. However, you can not 'go back' to the unused one once you've begun a new journal.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/7/13 12:42pm
Msg #469033

Quick advice, Lee, but I'm not sure CA allows that. I think

it's been discussed before. Try a search.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/7/13 12:48pm
Msg #469034

See msgs. 464028 & 457707. Search "notary journal"

for more discussions, especially for CA requirements.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/7/13 2:00pm
Msg #469038

IF your other journal is not full... that's FINE. Just close it out and start a new one. Just know that you can't go back. Closing out a journal can be as simple as taking a big black marker and voiding out a few of the remaining blank spaces and writing somethign like this: "END OF JOURNAL - April 30, 2012" and then signing or intialing. Done. Even that, though, isn't really necesarry.

In fact, the CA Sec of State specifically stated on page 17 of their 2013 Workbook (http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary-education-sample-workbook-2013.pdf), "If a notary public surrenders the official journal, or if the notary public’s official journal is stolen, lost, misplaced, destroyed, damaged, or otherwise rendered unusable, the notary public must obtain a new journal. If the old journal is returned or found, entries must not be made in the old journal. The notary public must continue to use the new journal. (California Government Code section 8206(d).)"

The same thing goes if you need or want to start a new journal... just start a new one. It's that simple.

On page 28 of that same document (the workbook) they tell us, "Any journal that includes space for recording all the required details is acceptable." In other words... ANY format of journal, is FINE as long as the required information is recorded and the information is kept sequential.

Now, if you want to know if "bunching" multiple documents on a single line is okay? Well... that's a highly debated issue here. If you read ALL of Msg #457707 (and the replies to it) you'll pick up on that.

I personally believe that the NotRot journal is good... BUT that using it as designed is not appropriate for CA notaries because of the one act per line requirement. YOu can still use it... you just don't use it for multiple documents.

Reply by leeinla on 5/7/13 3:17pm
Msg #469047

Do Title Co's still give out journals?

It use to be you can pick one up from the big title companies. Is it still true?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.