Notary Rotary
Printing problem solved; thanks to many of you; please read
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Saul Leibowitz on 5/28/13 4:46pm
Msg #471476

I have a Brother HL5370DW and long ago installed a second tray. I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 8. I was not able to print PDF's in differing sizes, everything would be all one tray or another. I received considerable assistance form BrotherOwner and from Marian_in_Ca, Stoli, and RickG/Ca. Many thanks to all.
Here is the solution; I called Brother [again] in Tennessee, got someone knowledgeable, was sent a link, removed my printer from my computer, downloaded the new software exactly following the script in the email that had the link, then installed the computer when the link asked me to, went into properties, set it for two trays, designating which one had what size paper and was good to go.
The key, even though some of this had been done before, was to delete the printer, then download the software, install the printer, setup for two trays in the printer properties choice, accessories tab, and go.
Open to any questions. PM me, write to the email in my profile or call.
Again, thanks to all and I hope I can help the three of you that awaited my solution.

Reply by sueharke on 5/28/13 5:35pm
Msg #471481

It is not at all uncommon to have to completely uninstall a printer and the related software to solve a problem. I just had to do it with a HP printer.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/28/13 10:35pm
Msg #471529

It's been a while since I had to install my last HP printer, but this post reminded me that it was important to do the few simple steps in the right order for everything to work right. I hope I remember that the next time I try to install a new printer (which will probably be another HP)! Wink

Reply by sueharke on 5/28/13 11:24pm
Msg #471539

If you have a problem with a HP printer with Smart Start, try turning off "smart start" in the menu in "service" on the HP menu. Disconnect the USB cable (if that is how you plan on connecting the computer). Then starting the installation process from the CD_ROM. This is how I solved the problem after finding the solution on the net.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 5/28/13 10:54pm
Msg #471533

Glad it is resolved, and that it was so easy to resolve. Sometimes we go so far afield trying to teach the little creature inside our computers NEW tricks, it's not surprising to find out that they already KNEW the tricks, we were just " failing to communicate!". Thanks for posting back Saul, I'm sure it will help others in the future as they tackle Win8.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.