Notary Rotary
Question
Notary Discussion History

Question
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 5/6/13 2:29pm
Msg #468928

Question

Do you arrange the documents in the order that is most accommodating for the borrower or do you leave them in the order received?
I received documents today and all the junk docs are on top

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/6/13 2:41pm
Msg #468930

I usually leave them in order received since more and more companies want them back that way.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 5/7/13 5:59am
Msg #468996

If you pull the HUD it has all information on it, go over it first to ensure the package is correct.
Don't pull anything else out of order.

Reply by Amber TRIPLE A SERVICES LLC on 5/6/13 2:43pm
Msg #468931

I leave them in the order as I receive them as it makes it easier for the funder to review the docs.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/6/13 2:48pm
Msg #468932

I leave the signing copy in the order received.

(As far as accommodating the borrower: For their copy, I put the net sheet, first payment letter and note on top. Then, at the signing, I flip through those docs, pointing to the main figures: how much they owe/or are getting out, loan amount, interest rate, first payment due date and their new monthly payment ...)

Reply by Rita Adu on 5/6/13 3:17pm
Msg #468934

I place the HUD on top followed by the monthly payment statement. This is so that the borrower can see their cost and payments. It's usually easier to get them to sign if they know their "money aint funny". When I was "green", I didn't do this & the borrower refused to sign anything else after seeing the HUD b/c he wanted money back for renovations. The HUD was almost on the bottom of the stack. I never made that mistake again.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/6/13 3:23pm
Msg #468935

While this has been discussed before, I will tell you that I

ALWAYS put the docs in a signing order--HUD, Payment letter, Note, DOT, Riders, TIL, RTC's, etc. and ALWAYS put title docs in the back after the lender docs. I've found that this makes for a very smooth signing, and have never had ONE complaint about doing it. IMO, what co's. don't want is everything just thrown together hap-hazardly.
I learned this lesson the hard way a few years ago. The payment letter was about 3/4 through the pkg. & wasn't what they agreed to. It ended up being a no-sign. After that, I make sure all the nos. are upfront in the first pages.
It takes a little more time to put them in order when printing, but saves a lot of time in the long-run. I've never been a "grab them from the printer & go" notary.
I've also heard comments from borrowers about previous signings where the notary was shuffling papers.

Reply by SharonMN on 5/6/13 3:28pm
Msg #468940

Re: While this has been discussed before, I will tell you that I

Rearrange. Do the criticals first (HUD, TIL, Note, Mortgage) so if the loan blows up it does so right away and not after you've spent 45 minutes with the borrower already. Also, if you have them start filling out title affidavits and info forms right off the bat, you'll never get done. I always put those at the end.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/6/13 3:56pm
Msg #468949

Totally agree with MW and Sharon

And I never see instructions to keep them in the same order, except when I used to work with NVS, which I don't any more.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 5/6/13 6:12pm
Msg #468966

Totally agree and do the same thing. Never had a problem because I return them in that same order and no complaints.

Reply by RIcloser on 5/6/13 9:09pm
Msg #468980

Whether acting as a title company closing officer or a as Notary Signing Agent, that's how I set up up all packages with the I.D. confirmation doc(s) first. If they are who they should be and they agree with the numbers and loan terms and know they have the right to cancel, signing the superfluous disclosures, affidavits, notices, etc is a piece of cake. Actually, it baffles me why lenders don't send us their packages in this order (except for the TC' s Settlement Statement).

Reply by John E. Rogers on 5/7/13 4:55pm
Msg #469060

I am not convinced that the people who scan the docs into the system for sending have any idea which docs should be on top and which can be done later. I follow similar procedures as already suggested: while doing the ID docs, the b/o's review the HUD and first payment letter; if time perrmits when printing, I also place the TIL and Escrow docs following the payment letter; as has been suggested, borrowers can look through these and if satisfied, the rest is fairly smooth. No complaints yet. jer/oh

Reply by Tim Cameron on 5/6/13 4:29pm
Msg #468954

I always do escrow docs on top which includes the HUD, once I am past the HUD, a deal never blows up. Escrow docs on top, Loan docs on bottom

Reply by jba/fl on 5/6/13 5:54pm
Msg #468963

Same here

Hud, Title docs, loan docs. I want all the time wasters up front - by then they will sign anything.

Reply by Clem/CA on 5/6/13 4:57pm
Msg #468959

Any ID doc that needs ID info is first so I can fill out my Journal and The Id papers at the same time, Hud next... Statement of information moves to the back of the pile so I can double check the docs while they fill that form. Time savers..

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 5/6/13 8:50pm
Msg #468977

Id forms is first, followed by HUD, Note, Payment letter, Til, Mtg..After that its in whatever order they were sent in. If there is a survey they have to fill out..I make sure that is the last document they see..this way they can fill that out while Im doing my QC..

Reply by RIcloser on 5/6/13 9:15pm
Msg #468981

Oh, yes. Statement of information, customer service survey, if any, at very end while I double check package.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/7/13 6:46am
Msg #468999

I put the HUD always on top, as most important to review first. If that's wrong, no sense continuing on. If I have a choice on printing the 10+ PDF attachments, I usually do the HUD, then the title docs, the misc. then the lender package last. That's just my own preference for printing, saving the largest last.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/7/13 8:04am
Msg #469007

I don't rearrange the package other than putting

the HUD on top - I flag the other docs I want to review first - Note and Payment Letter - those 3, IMO, are where the deal's going to fall apart (I, personally, have never had the TIL be a dealbreaker so I review that when I get to it). I also just remind them they have 3 business days to cancel the deal - I don't review that form in advance. Package stays in order.

JMO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.