Notary Rotary
REPOST of single lady perspective on fees
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 4:01pm
Msg #468383

There are a couple of companies that I do signings for $75.00. These are the two that gave me my first signings and because they have taken a hit with the outsourcing etc I choose to continue at this time to do the signings for them. There is no handholding etc. Here is my perspective or shall I say my reality!!!
I was managing my family's local business that had been around for over 65 years! Competition and the economy brought things to a place where I had to finally close the business. I tried lowering prices, and other such methods to try to recapture the success that we once had. The corporate owned big business through some rather unethical tactics won out. So this 60 year old lady - too young for social security and too old to be hired by the companies in my professional field -- has now found herself fulltime in the Notary Signing Agent Business (which I love most of the time).

In my area some of us tried holding out for the higher fees that we were used to receiving but other notaries are happy to do signings for super low fees. I am still refusing to do as low as they do but I do take these $75.00 signings because after having bought paper, ink etc it will at least reimburse me for the cost of some of these items. If I could get a fulltime job that would pay as well as the NSA business does I would consider it but having applied to many places it is a matter of age.

So I have deciced to "suck it up" and try to adjust somewhat to the lower fees. I do not like it but I figure if I do the very best I can and go the extra mile and shut up and be grateful that I have an income stream
that will at least pay my bills for now. Working at Walmart will not. Sure I would love to make alot more than I do now but with so many people entering this field there is now way too much competition; thus, the success the loan/title companies are having in finding notaries who will take the lower fees. Competition has hurt our fees but short of putting them 6 feet under it looks like competition is here to stay.

Either we have to go with the flow or get out of the business and go find another source of income!!!
Please back off of the new notaries with your critical remarks about their questions on here and please back off on the notaries who do take the lower fees. You are NOT in their shoes - so quit judging them.
If you are as bothered by it as the originator of this thread don't blame the notaries blame the companies that are selling out their businesses to the foreigners who do not have a problem lowering their fees and treating us like a herd of cattle. It is the current state of things and let us pray for it to change. So take the time and energy that you are using to complain and be angry and consider getting on your knees before God for He can turn any mess into a blessing. If you do not believe in Him then do not judge me because I do. So take that time and go volunteer at a nursing home, read a good book, --we can never get a doover on the hours that have passed. Thanks for reading this and I do wise you great success!!

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/2/13 4:17pm
Msg #468388

What kind of outsourcing can a SS have as competition? n/m

Reply by lee on 5/2/13 4:22pm
Msg #468391

Thank you ' I agree and I too know the true source of the business that comes my/our way.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/2/13 4:23pm
Msg #468392

Beverly that was a nice letter and truly something I

understand from experience but honestly IMO you could have omitted that last paragraph, you got your point across.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/2/13 4:41pm
Msg #468396

BTW I just accepted a signing for tomorrow

Over-night Docs, one borrower for $120. The SS wanted someone they knew would deliver without messing up,...it is important to be known for doing a great job. Has nothing to do with the economy IMO

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 4:52pm
Msg #468399

Re: BTW I just accepted a signing for tomorrow

Good I think you guys in Ca get paid more than we do in NC. I do get signings for $100 to $150 but for the most part the notaries in this area are all saying that most of title companies are only offering $90.00
Again I say just do my best - go the extra mile and I add that after the companies get tired of using the notaries that work really really cheap and make more mistakes then hopefully they will go back to paying higher fees.

Perhaps this is just an annoying wave that we will have to ride out and hope to not drown in the ride!!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 6:33pm
Msg #468416

Re: BTW I just accepted a signing for tomorrow

"Good I think you guys in Ca get paid more than we do in NC"

No, we don't... but our expenses sure are higher. A lot of these companies want to pay universal fees, no matter where the notary is located.

That's another reason I prefer working with local companies... they know the area and the general expenses involved in getting any particular job done.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/2/13 4:47pm
Msg #468397

Well it sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and you have done a lot of "soul searching" so to speak. You have decided what is the right thing for you. That is a wonderful thing. No one should ever challenge that. Posting this here appears to a means of catharsis for you. That iis also a good thing. As long as this is in the first person this is fine.

As some said the problem lies in the last paragraph. You went from I to WE. Perhaps it is not right be telling other people what they should be doing.... Not fair. Each person has the right to find what works for themself. Would you agree with that?

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 5:02pm
Msg #468400

Hi Barb -- I was responding to a post from earlier today by another notary "that work for peanuts. Because of you, companies keep paying less and less. That's right, as long as some of you notaries keep lowering your fees, companies will keep paying less and less. You are pathetic. You have no idea how to run a business. If this isn't working for you, do yourself, and other notaries, a favor and go do something else. Do you realize that by lowering your fees you allow companies to make more money from your hard work? You are killing this industry. You are hurting yourself and other notaries by doing what you're doing. Pathetic."

Barb I did not mean to offend anyone by suggesting what they should "do" but it was intended to be just that "a suggestion" and to make a point. Perhaps posting was a" catharsis" of sorts for me but my conscious intent was to hopefully provide some degree of truth that might help someone else.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/2/13 5:16pm
Msg #468402

Well not that I am the final word on anything but that calling someone pathetic is a personal attack... That is unacceptable. Showing disapproval is something else and I think you addressed this here. Whether anyone agrees. Another story. You said what you had to say. A"catharsis" as it were. Good. That is the best you can hope for.

You certainly did not offend me. And you will not sway anyone is not of like thinking to you. So let it go. That was what my last paragraph was about.... You will have to agree to disagree with some people. And if they could do the same this forum would run much more smoothly... (Hope my a$$ won't get chewed on that one). As for bringing down the industry. If you have that much clout, get out of this industry and get into something you can capitalize on that power.

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 6:07pm
Msg #468407

Oops I should have made sure that there was no misunderstanding that I wrote the "that work for peanuts .......Pathetic". That was authored by 101notary I was responding to her comments .

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 6:07pm
Msg #468408

correction 1notary1 was the author n/m

Reply by Barb25 on 5/2/13 6:35pm
Msg #468418

Well okay but if the words are YOU ARE PATHETIC

it is a personal attack. I don't care what it about. If she thought it was pathetic you were working for peanuts that is another story.... People need to think about what they say and also filter.

Nothing to do with this, but I heard on Good Morning America today when Amanda Knox was being interviewed... They asked her if she knew that when she was was Googled that over 7,000,000 people HATED her. When asked how she felt She thought it sad and she was sad that people who had never met her, didn't even know her could feel this way about her. But she had to get over that. People really need to filter their thoughts and feelings....

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 6:16pm
Msg #468409

I'm not one to individually berate anyone...

...and I won't do that here. Everyone makes their own diecsions, and I'm fine with that. Thought I always strive to make sure people are educated and aware.

The one thing in that that stood out to me is this:

" I am still refusing to do as low as they do but I do take these $75.00 signings because after having bought paper, ink etc it will at least reimburse me for the cost of some of these items."

And this is an honest question... if only "some" of your costs are covered by taking these fees, that measn that you're not even meeting your expenses. So, how is it possible that you're paying bills or making any money if you can't even cover your costs?

If you aren't covering your expenses you don't *have* an income stream. You're operating at a loss.

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 6:37pm
Msg #468419

Re: I'm not one to individually berate anyone...

I think I indicated that there are only 2 companies that I will do $75.00 for. All the other companies pay higher fees than that. The 75.00 ones may only be 3 to 7 a month. The remainder signings are more and are profitable. If I were operating at a loss I would be in bankruptcy by now. For this is my only source of income and it has, so far, paid my monthly bills which include 2 mortgages etc etc

Anyway I am glad you asked.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/2/13 7:48pm
Msg #468428

You made a decision why do you keep defending yourself? Done n/m

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 5/2/13 7:15pm
Msg #468424

Re: the parable of the talents does come to mind here

The frightened servant buried the talents and missed out on making a good profit for the master. The master took away everything from him, left him penniless for his lack of business grit, and gave it all to the servant that was more diligent in business. Fear drove that first servant. Fear drives the notaries that think they constantly have to lower fees to keep lock step with their competition. As long as one is making a profit, and not just cash flow, then it is up to them to determine the level of profit that is acceptable to them. If their level of expertise is such that minimum wage, or slightly above, is acceptable, then so be it. Just wait until they have to replace the vehicle they have worn out in travel. Then they will most certainly know that they have not operated at a profit when they don't have the cash on hand to buy that car.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/2/13 7:45pm
Msg #468427

The parable certainly has an interesting twist here n/m

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 5/2/13 8:03pm
Msg #468433

Re: The parable certainly has an interesting twist here

I believe in the dignity and morality of running a profitable business that enables one bless the poor, the weak, and the defenseless as commanded by the One who gives us the power to gain wealth. He is the Master referenced in the parable Smile

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 5/2/13 10:03pm
Msg #468453

Yes He does give us the power to gain wealth as He so states in His word. I think if I were in error doing a few $75 jobs a month to be a blessing back to those people who were so kind to take a risk on me as a newbie back a few years ago then I truly believe that He (God) would give me that "red flag" feeling of no.
But since I am in a what some would call a poor, weak and defenseless status at this time -- you are certainly more than welcome to be a "blessing" to me.
Sorry I could not resist!!!! Glad God has a sense of humor. I have had several PM from notaries who have thanked me for my post in that it ministered to me and they are glad to know someone understands the situation. In my area, Wilmington, there is almost no notary getting paid more than $100 for a local signing. Sad but true!! Thank God paper, ink etc is cheaper to purchase here than on the West Coast and up North.

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 5/3/13 2:21pm
Msg #468585

Beverly, you said you are covering all your expenses and making a profit in this industry. That is a great accomplishment so I wouldn't think of you as poor, weak and needy at all! Look at all those gray haired women in power positions these days. Remember that 60 is the new 40. All the best Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.