Notary Rotary
Re: daughter to signing - BINGO! Bear900 u hit the nail
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Mung/CA on 5/9/13 12:40am
Msg #469294

on the head!!!! Actually, most of you suspected there was more to the story than I posted. Kudos to you. I gotta say however that some of you are waaaaaaaaaaaay too uptight. U (and u know who u are) really need to lighten up. That's the reason some peolpe are afraid to post or post under a fake name, etc. Here's the full story:

I get an order for a signing (NOT a closing - a signing!) 4 houses down the street from me. Full disclosure: only paid $85 with e-docs (size of packet was 22 pages before u crucify me) and no fax-backs. My 10 year-old daughter is my lil helper when it comes to preparing for a signing. I am grateful that she still wants be at my side and follow me wherever I go even tho, as she puts it, she's a big girl now - not daddy's lil girl! (she actually calls me papi). So anyway, here we are prepping and she happens to look at the name of the borrower. Turns out it's her bestest friend from school's dad. I know the dad very well. We visit each others house often and our girls play together outside almost every day. They are in the same class as well. I call the dad and tell him that I've been giving the order to meet up with him. Tells me to bring my daughter because his is very excited to see her. So I do. I took my daughter to a signing (the audience gasps! right about now you could probably hear a pin drop in the room!). I know, cardinal sin. I've only been doing this for 8 years you would think I would know better. Oh my lord! Anyway, we get there, my partner and I, and borrower and his 10 year-old daughter are waiting for us in the garage and on the counter a coldie for me! The whole time during our 12-minute signing the sound of laughing and giggling little girls, music to one's ears, filled the air. Finished so quick that my beer was still cold! Salud!!!!!

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/9/13 1:38am
Msg #469297

Next time maybe, post BEFORE the beer? Salud!! n/m

Reply by Cherylann on 5/9/13 3:49am
Msg #469300

Under the circumstances, I am not going to beat you up for fee or taking your assistant along, LOL. It's rare that I receive an assignment for someone I know, but it's happened a couple of times over the past 10 years. The only recommendation I would offer to you is: when you get that confirmation and you have some sort of personal relationship with the borrowers, call them ASAP and ask if they have any reservations about you handling/receiving documents containing their personal/private financial info. If they have any uncomfortable feelings about it, call the title/ss back and decline the job. It's only happened a couple of times to me, but it's a courtesy to your friend/acquaintance that you make sure you have their permission to receive/access their financials.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/9/13 7:21am
Msg #469306

I haven't had nearly as many signings as Cherylann, and I've only been doing this for about a year. So far I've had one couple and one single person I know well. (I just sent some email for the club the couple belongs to, and now I have to do an on-call schedule for the disaster team the single person belonged to).

Reply by Cherylann on 5/9/13 11:48am
Msg #469364

Not something requiring tons of experience, just common sense/courtesy. Would YOU want your private info (SSN, income, credit bureau info, bank account info, etc.) being received/read by your neighbor, fellow scout leader, part-time bartender, pick any friend or casual acquaintance? Even though you're there in a 'professional' capacity, I just don't feel it's a 'good business' practice unless they feel comfortable with the situation.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/9/13 2:23pm
Msg #469425

An excellent idea!... The personal "stuff" involved... and their feelings.... I'e never had it happen.. But if could be sticky.

Reply by Rita Adu on 5/9/13 6:38am
Msg #469304

Please accept my apologies for "jumping too soon". I never want to be a source of the negativity here, and that was not my intention.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/9/13 8:14am
Msg #469313

So refreshing, Rita :) "Crime" Solved. Cold Case no more. n/m

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/9/13 8:15am
Msg #469314

Kudos to Mung/CA. You are so right when you say that people do not want to post here. I have found that some can be very judgmental and some have obviously forgotten what it is to be new in the business. I have had to have my son drive me to a signing on one occassion. He did wait in the car and it was not a problem. My car broke down right before I was ready to leave. So there are certain circumstances that arise and we do what we have to do to make things work.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/9/13 2:28pm
Msg #469427

Funny funny..... I can't remember ... Did anyone ask why yesterday? I know a few people said there must have been a reason why... LOL

Reply by Barb25 on 5/9/13 2:31pm
Msg #469429

Kudos Rita Smile

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/9/13 8:20am
Msg #469315

OK, You GOT us Mr. Mung. So . . . any thoughts on the Case of the Canine Apprentice?!!!

We're still waiting on Crime Solvers on this one Frown

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/9/13 9:34am
Msg #469326

It was a Dead Giveaway......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqDvVhyeSc

these are actual words-...remixed of course...

Just seems to fit this morning.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/9/13 9:40am
Msg #469332

Mung, can I ask a question?

Why did you string everyone here along with your very obtuse post? I know you've been around a whihle, so you had to know it was going to draw criticism -

Why?

Reply by MW/VA on 5/9/13 9:44am
Msg #469334

My thoughts, too, Linda. It's almost like the original post

was bait. I'd think Mung would have more respect for us than that.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/9/13 10:12am
Msg #469343

Re: Mung, can I ask a question?

My thought was, I'm sure he knows hiring parties read these post. I don't know.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 5/9/13 11:25am
Msg #469358

My thoughts too, Linda n/m

Reply by Darlin_AL on 5/9/13 12:08pm
Msg #469367

Uuuuuh, privacy issues? If you lil pardner can read the name, you are really really violating a bunch of federal stuff, like the GLB act, etc. That should have been your cue to do your own paperwork. Taking the kid to play is an entirely different deal.
Kids comment on stuff they think they know in all the worst places. Your pal you had the beer with will be real unhappy when/if he/she EVER hears any reference to the personal & private transaction, count on it, from any source.
Also, in disagreement with the "practices" training put out by a signing agency, never leave a voice mail that states the nature of the "transaction" or, who you represent, as that also gives away the nature of a pending transaction because persons not involved in the transaction may take the message. Got a call yesterday from the son because Dad (signer) was having surgery & probably would not be available scheduled time & date. Did not disclose to son nature of transaction; took his contact info & contacted my hiring party with it immediately. They got back to me to go ahead as planned. Privacy violations can get you in big big trouble from a lot of different sources.
Yes, the mtg. does become a recorded record, but the average citizen does not check the books on a regular basis to see what's going on in the neighborhood.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/9/13 2:41pm
Msg #469430

GLB ?? Really? That's a stretch.

You cover a lot of interesting points. I find the following particularly useful. I am going to keep in mind for the future. "Kids comment on stuff they think they know in all the worst places. Your pal you had the beer with will be real unhappy when/if he/she EVER hears any reference to the personal & private transaction, count on it, from any source."

Reply by Ali/IL on 5/9/13 11:10pm
Msg #469518

Even if I knew the person I would still keep it business like . No children and dressed accordingly.
When I get a call to do a signing for someone I know I call and ask if it is ok for me to do the signing or have the company have someone else come over.
Maybe they wouldn't want you knowing their personal information.
You never know what can come back at you in the future.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.