Notary Rotary
Serving As A Witness
Notary Discussion History

Serving As A Witness
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by JerryhFL on 5/1/13 2:49pm
Msg #468113

Serving As A Witness

I know in the state of Florida I cannot notarize a document for my wife, sons, daughters, mother or father.

However, if I use one of the above as a witness to a person signing a document that he/she needs to have notarized, am I notarizing just the signature of the person signing the document or am I notarizing the witness's as well?

Your input would be helpful.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 2:51pm
Msg #468117

Think about this and answer your own question.

In Florida the notary may be a witness as well as notarize. Can you notarize your own signature?

Reply by Pam/NM on 5/1/13 2:55pm
Msg #468120

I'm not positive what you are asking--is in in relation to a deed of trust or conveyance? It's my understanding that there is one witness required unless it's a deed of conveyance, in which case it's two. I may be wrong on this...Linda H, help me out! Notary can be one witness, too. I referred to Msg #77089. I miss PAW....sigh.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/1/13 4:11pm
Msg #468134

Jerry, the only way you'll know how to answer your

question is to see the document. If the document requires that the witnesses' signatures be notarized, then no, you won't be able to use your wife, son, daughter, mother or father as a witness. Signers are going to have to provide their own.

If this is an issue you have now and are not sure how to handle it, proceed on the side of caution and let the signer provide a witness unrelated to you in the above manner. Then you can notarize with no problem.

Reply by FGX/NJ on 5/1/13 4:12pm
Msg #468136

In NJ you are just notarizing the signer, except for a self-proving Will in which case you are notarizing the signature of the 2 witnesses not the signer

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/1/13 4:26pm
Msg #468138

In FL, the self-proving affidavits also include the

testator's signature - so yes, he's be notarizing all the signatures.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/1/13 4:39pm
Msg #468139

Same in VA n/m

Reply by FGX/NJ on 5/1/13 4:48pm
Msg #468140

Re: In FL, the self-proving affidavits also include the

Also in NJ notarizing for family members is not prohibited as long as the Notary has no interest in transaction.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.