Notary Rotary
Situation of signatures not matching. I had a call the
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by MW/VA on 5/19/13 10:31am
Msg #470492

other day for GNW. A man called me to go to their home for a POA for his wife. Now, I usually go over the criteria for POA's--valid ID & fully aware, etc. For some reason I was busy & must have forgotten that. Anyway, I arrive and the wife has Alzheimer's. Of course, it's too late for a POA. They have a Reverse Mortgage. Part of that requirement is that they are send a form every year to complete that it is their primary residence. The Co. wasn't accepting the form, because the wife's signature didn't match previous docs. They were insisting he get a POA. It was a pathetic situation. Without the signed form, and co. could begin foreclosure proceedings.
I asked that we call the co., and with his permission they spoke with me. I explained the situation, they agreed to make the necessary notations in the file, and instructed him to send in the form with only his signature. There was no notary work done, but it was a good outcome. I hope all of you remember that it isn't always about the money, and there are greater rewards in helping people when we can. :-)

Reply by Robert522TX on 5/19/13 10:38am
Msg #470494

Re: Situation- How nice of you! Good job! :) n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/19/13 11:51am
Msg #470500

You are the bomb!!!!!!!1 Yeah somebody else helping people.

Reply by sueharke on 5/19/13 12:26pm
Msg #470506

I did not have the same situation, but similar. A daughter had a father with alzheimers and needed to place him on a weekend day. She needed a new health care directive completed and signed that day. Since I could not help her complete the form, her neighbor an attorney came over and helped complete the form. The attorney explained the form to the father who signed it in front of two witnesses. The attorney said the father was competent to sign the form. I also notarized the documents, even if it may not have been needed. The gentleman was in his 90's and had just lost his wife of 70 years a few months ago. He was a veteran with little income. I did not charge for my notarization or time so as to pay tribute to this gentleman's contribution to our safety. It also made his daughter's stressful issue easier. BTW, he lived less than 1 mile from me. Sometimes giving back feels good.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/19/13 4:24pm
Msg #470527

Thanks for posting. Important reminder & perspective. :>) n/m

Reply by Kathleen Bagley on 5/20/13 1:34pm
Msg #470596

Re: Thanks for posting. Important reminder & perspective. :>)

Yes - thanks for the reminders- never can be too many!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.