Notary Rotary
Take a look at this notarization
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Jodith/WA on 5/30/13 10:10pm
Msg #471766

My husband reads a bunch of legal boards and he's been following this one story very closely. As part of the storage, this affidavit was linked. He thought it looked hinky, so he showed it to me. I'd like to get your opinions. It looks to me like the name on the notarial certificate may have been altered after the fact. What do you think. You'll need to scroll down to the end for the notarial certificate.

http://ia701200.us.archive.org/19/items/gov.uscourts.azd.732217/gov.uscourts.azd.732217.59.4.pdf

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/30/13 10:55pm
Msg #471774

Don't know what to make of this...

Apparently, the aff was written and signed by John Steele. However, the name of the affiant is written in the most bizarre manner in the notarial section. "John" is clear, and maybe "Lawrence"(?), and BTW, where did "Lawrence" come from? And the writing that follows "Lawrence" is complete jibberish. So, if John Steele expected this jurat to sail through, he should think again if it ever was put under the spotlight.

Basically, this makes no sense to me: Irma, the notary signed her name and dated in a readable manner but botched everything when filling in the affiant's name. But why? Or did she? Maybe a call to Irma would straighten things out.

Reply by Blueink_TN on 5/30/13 11:05pm
Msg #471778

Re: Don't know what to make of this...

Maybe a POA signing?

Reply by BrotherOwner on 5/31/13 1:46am
Msg #471783

Re: Ha, just rooting around

the internet, it appears there are at least 3 John Steeles of some reknown in the legal profession.
1 a judge in FL., 2 in Palo Alto, who deals with legal ethics, and 3 of IL. and elseware, mentioned above. Bet #1 and #2 would like to " do lunch" with #3. IMHO, I would like to compare signatures for ID purposes, and wonder if there is any connection or if this is just GNW. There must be a public signature someplace.

Which case is this AFF. attached to?

There sure seems to be a lot of discussion about THIS JS around the internet.

Note: I am not an Attorney, and do not or may not give legal advice.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/31/13 11:54am
Msg #471826

here's the case

http://www.plainsite.org/flashlight/case.html?id=2331799

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/31/13 4:35am
Msg #471784

Well, might be a notary who puts the name as shown on ID...that might explain the Lawrence. As to the rest of the scribbling...whatever it says doesn't look like Steele. So, yeah, hinky is a good description.

Reply by CJ on 5/31/13 12:57pm
Msg #471831

My 2 cents.

The signature does look like Steele to me, but she notarized "John Lawrence". Also, since I am scrutinizing the "Steel" part, it appears to be dashed off, but the "S" was actually written in three separate strokes.
1. The top of the "S" was written last, as it crosses the "t" and starts at the top of the "t".
2. Then the middle part of the "S" starts at where the "t" is crossed. You can see the starting point.
3. The end of the "S" is obvious: right below the signature line, the pen is obviously picked up and put down again, with a weak ending, as if it were drawn in carefully.

Why would someone who signs "Steel" all the time not be able to dash off an "S"?

He also forgot to put the "e" on the end of Steele.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/31/13 1:37pm
Msg #471842

I thought....

the OP was asking about the name in the jurat, not the guy's signature ....?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/31/13 2:09pm
Msg #471852

It's also a faulty FL cert too...shame on Irma n/m

Reply by BrotherOwner on 5/31/13 3:21pm
Msg #471865

Re: I thought....

If you looked at any of the signer's history, a prudent person would also scrutinize all information very carefully. GG, chec you PM.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/31/13 7:02pm
Msg #471882

Re: My 2 cents.

Since there is no "n" on John, the "e" on Steele was not an issue for me.

The certificate is not Florida compliant. As for the name in the cert, can't figure out where that came from.

There is not enough information to draw further conclusions. There is much that is in doubt, for me.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 5/31/13 8:19pm
Msg #471888

CJ - nothing at all wrong with John Steele's signature

To me, it is very legible and easy to read.

Each person's signature is unique. And if Mr. Steele's signature creates his "S" in three different strokes, so what? Who are you to say that he should "dash off his S?"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.