Notary Rotary
Tools for Change
Notary Discussion History

Tools for Change
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 5/6/13 8:39am
Msg #468873

Tools for Change

I recently had a call from a "distant" relative who asked me to help bail a car out of impound. Hadn't heard from this "near and dear" person in a couple of years. Thought for a nanosecond, and turned down the opportunity to be a good soul. Wasn't difficult at all. We still have an outstanding debt of $300 from a couple of years ago. Unpaid, no contact, no relationship.

Then I began thinking, why was the car impounded, really? I subscribed to INSTANT CHECKMATE and discovered why this person's car was impounded, and it was not for the reason I was given.

Recently, there was a murder not too far from my home, came back home to discover five sheriff's cars and a forensic wagon in the middle of the road. WOW! Scary stuff. Next thing I know the house is locked up tighter than a drum, no activity, no lights, nothing. Been that way for six weeks. Just found out about that too. The owners don't want it out that some guy got his brains blown out all over their walls and carpeting! Not good for resale.

Amazing what you can find out about people, people you've never met, know nothing about, you just go on what they tell you. But these days you need to do your own research and due diligence.

That goes for new companies that come on to the horizon and ask you to accept signings. Check them out.

A couple of years ago, the gardener for my dad's house in Florida wanted to move into my house and fix it up in exchange for rent, then maybe buy it from me. So I thought, well, I'll google his current address, see what I can learn about the condition of that house. I discovered that he was a registered sex offender. I almost lost it. Imagine how my dad's neighbors of 60 years would have felt had I moved this guy in. So then I did a search for sex offenders in my own area and discovered there is one living in my own neighborhood!

Wow! Folks, we can no longer accept things on face value. Do your own due diligence, if you're hiring a gardener, electrician, plumber, handyman, you never know...makes me wonder what kind of background check does Angieslist.com do on their subscribers?

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/6/13 10:46am
Msg #468890

My 82 year old mother is on there!

I always felt she was on the lam. I wonder if she was caught jay-walking, or maybe it was for shaking her booty a couple of years ago when dancing her feet off until midnight at my cousin’s wedding in San Francisco. It was a total sibling competition with her older sister that should have been illegal.

I’m wondering now if she is on the terrorist list.

Needless to say I didn’t subscribe to find out.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/6/13 12:57pm
Msg #468915

Good reminder to be aware, to do your "due diligence"! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.