Notary Rotary
WHAT A WILD FRIDAY I HAD!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 5/12/13 11:32am
Msg #469717

It is a holiday weekend. The 101 was a parking lot in both directions. Luckily, I traveled to a bank for a 1:30pm appointment to sign three refinance BofA loans with one borrower and non-borrowing spouse in a trust.

Mr. Borrower is on time...thank you, Lord. for it is Friday, I'm slammed turning down work left and right. He tells me his wife will be along after she gets off work. We commence signing. We are signing the third set of documents when Mrs. Vested shows up.

I ask to see her Drivers License, and she begins to tell me her name is different than on the loan documents. WTF? They got married in August. She did not change her name, it is still in the previous married name. Mr. is 80, she's 45. He owns 36 properties. She has a court hearing on June 19 when her name will be legally changed to match the documents.

Also, she says, OUR trust has been amended, two weeks after we were married, which was also two weeks after they applied for the refinance loans.

I call the loan officer to inform her I must adjourn the signing due to ID issue, and to inform her there is an amended trust which has recorded, but not reflected on the loan documents because the Preliminary Title report was pulled before the Trust was amended and recorded.

Well, until Mrs. gets her name changed, because they have named her in the Amended Trust with her "new name" which isn't legally changed yet.

Don't ya just love a well laid plan!

Shoulda known better, and waited til Mrs. arrived. Just don't understand why the LO doesn't ask more questions when the 1003 is being completed...back to redraw, in about six weeks.

So then I have two Quicken loans at 3pm, borrower changes to 4pm. That's okay, they must be on time because I'm scheduled the rest of the evening and can't be delayed. Rate lock expiring on Monday, so yes, they'll be on time.

I get to the borrowers home. No one answers the door bell. I call the cell phone. "We're at Schwab waiting for you! Where are you?"

I just about lose it but QUICKLY I realize I don't have time to lose it. I jump on the freeway and race toward downtown in heavy traffic, arriving 30 minutes after our appt. Schwab closes up at 5pm on the dot. They wanted to read....REALLY? We get through the documents, I'm now late for 5p and 6p appointments. Thankfully they are also Schwab Quicken loans with people whom I've signed before and know personally, they were very understanding.

It was a three-glass of wine and appetizer evening at the Ojai Valley Inn country club under the stars listening to classical guitar music for several hours with my sister, where we reveled how lucky we are to have work at all.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/12/13 12:47pm
Msg #469718

Glad you were able to wind down at the end of the day!

I do have a question though. It's been a long time since my last marriage. But, back then a name change due to marriage just required showing proof of marriage (ie. marriage certificate) at DMV or SSA, etc. Have things now changed to require a court order?

Reply by 101livescan on 5/12/13 1:04pm
Msg #469719

Re: Glad you were able to wind down at the end of the day!

She did not take his name when they married. The trust, and the loan docs should bear her 'legal name', not just make her name match his for convenience.

Reply by KarenVentura on 5/13/13 9:04am
Msg #469749

If you are ever in need of covering a signing I am not far from you Smile
Karen

Reply by 101livescan on 5/13/13 4:47pm
Msg #469806

Hi! Driving roundtrip to Santa Barbara in bumper to bumper traffic, would you really do that? I wouldn't, I rarely drive south of Carpinteria, especially on a Friday in the afternoon, on a holiday weekend.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.