Notary Rotary
Well this is frustrating...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by kdd on 5/22/13 2:37pm
Msg #470916

I sometimes pick up last minute closings. Last Friday I got a call for a rush closing, Lock was expiring that day, previous notary (same day) had to stop the closing because docs were wrong.
I told them my fee. Was told they would have to get approval.
I never received a call back so I went grocery shopping. My Iphone pinged and not only was the confirmation for my fee in my inbox but the documents as well. I was about 30 minutes from home so I called the borrower to let them know what was going on. In that 30 minutes I got aggressive phone calls. The closing took place at 9:00pm and was finished at 10:00pm. (I was interrupting their party).
After the closing my phone rang off the hook until 11:30 without anyone leaving me a message. I had confirmed to one person the closing was complete. I felt completely harassed through the whole process.

Reply by Rita Adu on 5/22/13 2:44pm
Msg #470918

We've all had bad experiences & this is how we learn to mold our businesses. No one came here knowing what to do in all situations. Now the question is "what would you do differently next time?".

Reply by kdd on 5/22/13 4:21pm
Msg #470924

This is where I could use some advice. What would you do?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/22/13 4:23pm
Msg #470925

Care to name the company? n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/22/13 4:49pm
Msg #470927

Get paid and put 'em on Do Not Answer list

Nobody needs that kind of harassment. Who was this? At least put this info in Signing Central.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/22/13 6:59pm
Msg #470941

Okay. Here's the thing. We want the

business. Last minute or otherwise. Are we doing them a favor.. Yes.. But hopefully we will get a new and good customer. At the very least a grateful and respectful one. They should be prepared to meet the fee or at least Call Back right away. And you/we should insist on call back right away. (You/we have plans otherwise....respect)

The fee at that time should have almost been a non-issue unless it was ridiculous. You should have been calling the shots not them. BTW, we (most of us anyhow) have been there so don't beat yourself up. Get the script ready for next time or get ready to hang up. Remember he who wants it least has the power.

Hope at least this J/A pays you and quickly.

Just so you know, I dropped $5.00 on a signing call. I have no idea why (I was on another call, it was close by..really Babs). Anyhow. The package although large was a piece of cake. The title docs were a PIA... Never again. I should have raised it$10. Go figure. LOL I won't do that again...And there I was negotiating a great deal with Verizon... LOL

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/22/13 8:34pm
Msg #470954

<<<This is where I could use some advice. What would you do?>>>

I would have given the schedular a deadline: "OK, you will have to get my fee approved? I will need a response by 6:00pm (or whatever time you choose) to book this signing. Otherwise, I'm won't be available for this signing.

That's what I would do...this way, I'm in control of the appt. It was very bold on their part to email you the docs before you even confirmed you'd do the signing. Just because they approved your fee doesn't mean you were willing to take the appt. You could have planned some other event.

Reply by ToniK on 5/22/13 7:03pm
Msg #470943

Well what I do is preface my response that I have already spoke to (insert name) at (Insert time) and now you are the (insert how many calls you have received). Usually I get an apology and they say it wasnt put into the system as complete or whatever. If they continue to call I just ignore the call and if they dont leave a VM, then Im not too concerned with it.

Reply by Lorraine Payne on 5/22/13 7:09pm
Msg #470945

Oh, I know this story to well......last minute signing, they need to get it approved..because I am charging a fee for my last minute service after hours fee is what I call it.....no reply for approval...so I assume it was not approved....make other plans then the borrower is calling me to ask me what happened, I was upose to be there an hour ago.....

Reply by SharonMN on 5/23/13 10:03am
Msg #470994

...call for a rush closing, Lock was expiring that day, previous notary (same day) had to stop the closing because docs were wrong.

If I were the borrower, I'd tell the lender to get their act together. It's not the borrower's fault they waited until the last minute and then did the docs wrong. They can extend the lock rather than interrupting the borrower's Friday night plans and making them sign at 9 pm. (Then again, perhaps the borrowers had bad credit or a weird situation that limited their choice of lenders and didn't want to rock the boat.)

Reply by CJ on 5/23/13 12:42pm
Msg #471017

What I would have done,

. . . of course, with 20/20 hindsight.

When people call and it is some sort of emergency, but I don't know if I am going to get the job, I say to them on the phone, "I am at the grocery store right now, 30 minutes from my house. So if you DO give me the job, PLEASE call me back - don't just send me the confirmation and the docs, otherwise, I won't know and I will keep shopping."

Then, when they call back, I say, "please give me the borrower's phone number now so that I can call them right now."

Then, when I call the borrowers, I am totally honest with them: "I JUST got the job, I am at the grocery store, I will be home in 30 minutes, it will take me 15 minutes to print the docs, then 30 minutes to your house, so I will be there in about 1 1/2 hours."

I have learned that when a job goes wrong, it just keeps going wrong; sort of like it's jinxed. So they have a rate lock, first set wrong, previous notary not being able to go back, and then it's in your lap, with all the bad luck attached until it's all over.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.