Notary Rotary
What would you charge.
Notary Discussion History

What would you charge.
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by biglee/Ca on 5/31/13 2:58pm
Msg #471856

What would you charge.

I'm a new Notary and was call to do an affidavit. Preferred method of funding one stamp 35 miles each way through los Angeles traffic on Friday. I'm being asked how much my fee would be, can you help me.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/31/13 3:03pm
Msg #471857

Who called you? The signer or a company?

I wouldn't drive 70 miles rt in rush hour for one paper, especially one that usually doesn't need to be notarized.

If contracted by the signer I'd refer them to a UPS store or local pack n ship. If a company calling? $100 - or they can e-mail it to the signer to take to the UPS store or a local pack n ship.

Reply by bagger on 5/31/13 3:03pm
Msg #471858

How long is it going to take you to drive there and back?
What are your expenses?
(Gas, paper, toner, Advertising, Licensing, taxes, office space, etc.)
How much do you want to make per hour?

Now, do some simple math.

Reply by John Tennant on 5/31/13 3:07pm
Msg #471860

Having had the displeasure of driving in LA rush hour traffic on a Friday I would charge at least $250.00. For those of you that never have to contend with this type of traffic, that is a cheap price.

Reply by Don Courtney on 5/31/13 3:09pm
Msg #471862

I am also in LA and would charge $150 mid day or $200 rush hour. I would also guide the client
That they could get it done for about 40-50 by using a notary closer to the signing location.

I have learned to never give away LA driving cheap. This could easily be 2-3 hours drive time depending
On the time of day and whether you are going with or against traffic.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/31/13 3:12pm
Msg #471863

Why would they not find a closer notary? 35 miles one way does not make sense unless they are a company who doesn't pay and you are a newbie and their only resource they can get suckered into doing it.

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/31/13 3:40pm
Msg #471867

I wouldn't charge them anything since I would not accept the

assignment. They are too cheap to pay for UPS or FedEx, they probably cant afford me. JMHO

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/31/13 4:17pm
Msg #471868

Are they ambulatory? Unable to drive? What's up?

L.A. Has everything but UPS Store sounds best.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 5/31/13 4:59pm
Msg #471869

I would not take that job. However, I would also

not point anyone to UPS.

If it is general notary work I steer the signer to Notary Rotary. They can contact someone closer to them and a fellow NR member can benefit instead of UPS.

I have a friend here in town that makes $30+ for single signatures meeting people 1/2 mile from her home at a coffee shop. Quick one signature and she's back home. She said total time is usually 15 -17 minutes from her door back to her door.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/31/13 8:24pm
Msg #471889

If this assignment were from a company, I'd go. If it's for an individual, I'd refer them to the UPS Store if they can drive there. If they require mobile notary service, I'd refer them to this website (provided they're in an area my network doesn't cover).

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/1/13 12:25am
Msg #471908

35 miles in LA??? I'd refer it out...

35 miles one way in Los Angeles.... are you NUTS???

If you drove from Woodland Hills, on the west end of the San Fernando Valley all the way south to LAX... that's only 28 miles. ON a Friday afternoon, that will take you... oh... a freaking ETERNITY! If the 101 and the 405 are wide open, that trip would take you about 45 minutes to an hour... but anyone who knows LA traffic is laughing at that idea. ON a Friday afternoon? Uh.... no.

With as many notaries as there are in LA, I wouldn't drive in LA proper that far just for one GNW assignment. I'd refer them to one or two notaries that were closer that I trusted.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.