Notary Rotary
"Tracing Machines"
Notary Discussion History

"Tracing Machines"
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Rita Adu on 5/18/13 11:49am
Msg #470424

"Tracing Machines"

I did a refinance last night & the wife was previously employed by a Title Company. She told me that the "tracing machines" were a life saver whenever the needed extra documents signed. I've never heard of this before. She told me that the machine will reflect the borrower's signature onto another form & they were able to "trace" the signature onto the form that they needed signing. I told her that it sounds like forgery to me and was probably illegal. Has anyone else heard of this machine?

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/18/13 12:07pm
Msg #470425

Yikes! Never heard of such a thing. However, there's "forgery" that isn't a crime and that nobody cares about and then there's *forgery* with intent to defraud or otherwise negatively impact the legal obligations and rights of somebody else.

However, I was always under the impression that TCs/lenders could under certain circumstances "sign for" a borrower. (What are the Ltd POA docs in most loan pkgs for if not that?) If so, why don't they just sign for the borrower without going to all the trouble to decieve by replicating a signature?

Makes no sense to me...

Reply by notarydi/CA on 5/18/13 1:19pm
Msg #470427

in the good ol' days....

we didn't have "tracing machines".....we called it going to the "mortgagee window".....put the document with the signature up against a sunlit window...put the document to be signed over that....trace the signature......caught a number of loan officers doing that in my time.....makes me miss auditing and underwriting sometimes......

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/18/13 3:53pm
Msg #470434

Re: in the good ol' days....

It's the notary's fault! LOL

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.