Notary Rotary
debt elimination retainer
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Rachel Shurman on 5/9/13 7:27am
Msg #469308

I have been approached several times about doing a debt elimination retainer. Does anyone know if you need to be a paralegal to do this type of signing? The first company that asked me said that I needed to act as a paralegal for them, so I declined.

Can anyone offer insight into this???

Thanks.

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/9/13 7:41am
Msg #469310

'act as a paralegal' pretty much says it all. They're asking you to lie, plain and simple. You don't need any qualifications...the pizza delivery guy could get signatures but they prefer 'borrowing' your credibility--while asking you to lie~~

The laws about debt relief require a face-to-face meeting. You're 'their face'. Really?

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/9/13 8:11am
Msg #469312

I stay away from these job offers n/m

Reply by Art_PA on 5/9/13 8:27am
Msg #469316

I agree that you should not do debt reduction, "save your house", or similar deals. You can never tell which one will result in litigation later. You will then be called as a witness, or may even be sued. Just not worth it. Stick to closings which you know.

Reply by MN on 5/9/13 8:29am
Msg #469318

In some states it's required to be licensed. If you are going to be retained by them I would advise you have some background in contracts as paralegal, Realtor(c), or have a Law background.

*You can work for them as a employee working as a paralegal- depending on your State Laws.

Before you enter a agreement with them I would do some background checking with your state laws and do a background check/search of the debt collections firm who wants to retain your services.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/9/13 9:40am
Msg #469333

I won't touch those. There's no notary work involved,

and no way to know which are scams & which aren't. Too much liability, as far as I'm concerned.

Reply by Matt_VA on 5/9/13 10:05am
Msg #469341

Re: I won't touch those. There's no notary work involved,

I was getting calls that the paperwork say's I'm the debt cos. "Agent". I declined.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 5/9/13 11:13am
Msg #469356

please search here for debt resolution-lots of posts

here is a link to check out: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/05/ncc.shtm
lots to be found on the net about debt resolution and you might also search the company and attorney name who wishes to hire you.
also, please check with you DOJ. for example, Oregon has a list of licensed debt resolution companies. No others are operating here legally.
good luck in your research! you are on the right track asking here and investigating.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 5/9/13 11:42am
Msg #469362

I will not do these because the scenario is not as described when they tried to hire me. I asked the scheduler to confirm that I was NOT representing the contractor, & all he kept saying is "it's 2 attorneys who own this company, & they wouldn't do anything illegal". HA! It was hard not to laugh in his face. Sure there's "legal" but that's not what is moral. The folks who are in a debt-bind are paying more than they would if they just handled it themselves, & I will not be a part of selling those programs to the bottom-dwellers to well-meaning consumers. Oh, and yes, you are representing the contractor & expected to sell the deal. There are community-run debt counselor programs that operate using consumer friendly guidelines.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.