Notary Rotary
fee's
Notary Discussion History

fee's
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by T.K. Gonzalez on 5/24/13 4:32pm
Msg #471175

fee's

How do you know the going rate of travel in your area. I am just now ready to do my first notarization and not sure what to ask when I get my first call. Any help? I live in Kern county, CA
Thanks

Reply by John Tennant on 5/24/13 5:03pm
Msg #471179

You have to determine your own. Mine depends on distance and time of day. Obviously freeway driving, at least in San Diego, during commute times can add substantially to time on the road so I adjust for that probability.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/24/13 8:07pm
Msg #471199

There is no "going rate" for travel. You charge the rates you need to charge in order to cover your expenses and profit margin.

You're in Rosamond, right? Great... welcome to the neighborhood. I'm in CalCity. My travel rates depend on a variety of factors based on my business needs and each individual situation. For example, rather than meet people on base or way out west where people live on dirt roads... for general notary work, I often arrange to meet them at the McDonald's on Rosamond Blvd. The management there is cool with it, and it's a place everyone knows. People also like to meet at Tom's... but my experience is that the staff don't always like it. Inside the Jack in the Box at the Chevron across from the McDonald's is another option... but most people choose the McDonald's. When I do that, I will often reduce or even waive a travel fee, depending on my schedule that day. Since it's right off the freeway, and a place I usually stop for gas anyway, it makes it quite convenient.

My advice... ignore Kern County. Market yourself in Lancaster/Palmdale where you'll get more volume of work. Rosamond is so close to the county line, it's worth it.

I always tell newbies this... do NOT start taking work until you understand what your expenses are and what profit margin you need to make a living. Once you know that, you can start to price your services accordingly. We may be in the same county, but our expenses and profit margin needs are going to be very different. Also, rates for general notary work vs other assignments, such as for loan packages are also VERY different.

Do not copy the rates/fess of other notaries in the area. You need to figure out your own fees.

Don't let companies call you and tell you what "they pay" --- that's great... but you're not their employee. You have a rate that they will pay or they won't. When they quote rates, they quote the lowest rate they can. They will give you stories about it being the highest they can go. They will ask you to do them a favor... they will promise "volume" work in return. Don't fall fo rany of it. You have a rate and you stick to it. You are not a charity. Don't work for free.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/25/13 2:03pm
Msg #471262

When starting out it is difficult. You first have to decide how far out you are willing to go. My max range is about 20 miles one way. That is what I base my flat fee on. Most SS do not like it when you are constantly changing and negotiating prices with them because of distance or time of day. They like it easy and simple. I get the same price if the signing is 1 block away or 20 miles, no difference. I don't like it when they "low ball"me because it is close by, and I am sure they feel the same if out just a bit out of range. You have to work out a professional courtesy with them of give and take. Miriam stated she makes arrangements to meet people closer. You should never do that professionally. Once in an emergency situation perhaps, but NEVER do that like she says to do. You are getting paid to go where they assign you to go. 2nd, as being a former server, I hated squatters at my table costing me money, not eating and taking my tables. Not cool, and costs me money. They live on tips based on sales.
I started looking a profiles of other notaries around your area and go from there. I could tell you Florida prices, but I am sure you get paid more in CA. Last, if that is no help, trial and error, but never go below $100.00, that is for sure, unless it is a specialty doc or a few pages of this or that. All loan packages should start at a minimum, and if exceeds 135 pages or so, you can ask for more, which is fair. I also do not print appraisals. I call the buyer, if they have it great. if not, I let title know I will print, but will cost them extra, and usually they just email to the buyer directly. Anyway, good luck.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.