Notary Rotary
name with III
Notary Discussion History

name with III
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by KathyW/CO on 5/20/13 8:10pm
Msg #470655

name with III

I have a signing the the signature name John D. Doe III (the 3rd). Does the III need to be included in the signature?

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 5/20/13 8:14pm
Msg #470656

Is it on the docs? If yes, than Yes.

Reply by Kathy Watkins on 5/20/13 8:16pm
Msg #470657

It is on the docs. Thank you for your response.

Reply by Jack/AL on 5/20/13 9:20pm
Msg #470660

Hope that the III is on the identification. n/m

Reply by Jim/AL on 5/20/13 9:40pm
Msg #470663

Re: Hope that the III is on the identification.

Even if it is not he should be identifiable by matching social to 1003,W9,4506T etc...

If it is on the docs, he signs that way.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/21/13 8:53am
Msg #470684

Re: Hope that the III is on the identification.

It's hard to know whether III is considered part of the name, or a description. I've come across a Texas court case that says it's a description, and the West legal encyclopedia says its a description. But there could be some states where it's part of the name. If it's a description, you would use the same common sense methods of deciding if it's correct as assessing the gender, height and weight on a driver's license. So if John Smith III (on the deed) shows me a 6 month old driver's license that says John Smith Jr. and a 1 year old death certificate for John Smith Jr., and I knew of the situation ahead of time and looked up John Smith Jr's obituary in the newspaper archive, I'd be satisfied. Likewise, if I knew of the death of J. S. Jr. but J. S. III decided to keep his suffix the same, that would be OK with me too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.