Notary Rotary
newbie advice
Notary Discussion History

newbie advice
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Tamara Dark on 5/30/13 3:46pm
Msg #471724

newbie advice

I just became a notary in Iowa. Before I ever go on my first assignment, I wondered what advice you might have for me. Everything from paperwork to apparel, do's and don'ts, protocol and practical. Feel free to thrown in an anecdote so I'll be able to laugh at my own mistakes one day Smile

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/30/13 3:53pm
Msg #471726

Read the previous posts and then read again. Confirm the appt with the borrowers. Make sure that everyone on title will be at the signing. Dress nicely, be on time, be prepared, check and double check your work, then triple check. Make sure to make the FedEx/UPS cutoff if possible. Then go home and read the previous posts again.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/30/13 6:26pm
Msg #471749

Under the heading of "never assume anything", to clarify "Dress nicely", think of whatever passes as business casual in your area. What that means will vary from place to place, but typically that means no jeans, shorts, tank tops (or worse), no flip-flops or perhaps even open toed shoes, etc. It also probably doesn't mean you dress like you would for church or date night. Whether you're in an urban area vs. rural will also likely be a factor. Use the fact that you're only there to conduct business as your guide.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/30/13 3:58pm
Msg #471727

The Granddaddy of all notary teaching threads

Msg #33325

Read til your eyes bleed. Rinse and repeat..

And please, please please - believe the words of those who have gone before you. Bad reports on companies aren't posted here for giggles. They're posted to help people avoid non-pay situations.

Good luck.

Reply by Tamara Dark on 5/30/13 4:34pm
Msg #471730

Re: The Granddaddy of all notary teaching threads

okay! now . . . how do I resign? Just kidding. Now get specific. Other than getting paid or not, what makes a "good" company and a "bad" one?

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/30/13 4:59pm
Msg #471734

Good vs. bad

Since you asked, here's a general breakdown:

A "good" company treats you politely and professionally during phone calls (and generally speaks English, always a good sign), gets the job confo to you promptly, gets docs to you on time (as much as possible), pays you a fair fee without having you continually chase down your $$, doesn't babysit and micro-manage you before, during and after the signing, sticks up for you with the signing is headed south over ID or other issues, is available most of the time to answer your questions and tell you what you need to do if you're in a jam and never lies to you (at least intentionally).

A "bad" company won't pay or has low-pay and expects the moon for little $$, is unavailable to answer any questions you have when you need guidance or clarification or never knows the answers anyway, hangs up on you when you want to kinow where your $$ is, never backs you up over anything, books you then shops around for a cheaper notary and never bothers to tell you they found one while you turn down other jobs waiting for docs, blames everything on you when it's not your fault, shorts you on your check, lies to you that "the check is in the mail" (that is, if you can ever get anybody to actually respond to your inquiries as to where your check is), calls you incessently before, during and after the signing to check up on you (this is your first clue you're dealing with a lo-brow company that hires only the most brainless, i.e. cheap, NSAs who have no idea what they're doing and is a good indicator you're working for a lousy outfit.)

You'll be able to tell the good from the bad pretty soon. Beware any call that starts out "We have a signing in your area. Can you help us out?"

Learn how to negotiate. (Lots of good tips from veteran notaries on this board!) If it's a no-negotiate company, it's likely a lo-baller, and lo-ballers have lots of other problems you don't want to be part of.

But basically, it comes down to this: Do they pay or not?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/30/13 5:06pm
Msg #471737

"Good" or "Bad" company. That's a discretionary description. In my opinion, one a one word description is - RESPECT or lack thereof. But, that's something each one of us decides as a business.

For me, if a company offers me a signing: package is 200 pages, full pkg fax-backs, travel to signing location 1 way is 99 miles, POA is involved, signing is scheduled for 9 pm, they (maybe) pay 45-60 business days out and they're offering $50 -- that, to me, is lack of respect for my professionalism and time. In my estimation, that is a "bad" company.

Almost same scenario except this company pays within 2 weeks, has a proven track record on NotRot SC and agrees to a notary fee of $350. This, to me, is a "good" company.

Again, this is just my opinion.

There are some notaries out there that will accept scenario #1 several times daily, every day of the week and say they're getting volume and they believe they're making a living and a profit.

What do you think? After you pay for your equipment, supplies, auto, fuel, taxes, insurance, babysitter, etc., how much of that $50 will you actually see?

Reply by Doris_CO on 5/30/13 10:42pm
Msg #471771

Tamara, to find out who the "good" or "bad" companies are, go to Signing Central and review the list. Most companies have a rating of one to five stars, five stars being the best. You can also start your marketing with this list. Work for the four and five stars and maybe the three stars. But, anything lower and you'll be taking a chance of not getting paid. When a company calls you for a job, be sure to check them out on the list. Even though you've already said yes to the job, if you find out they're a non-paying company, call them back and decline the job. This will save you a lot of headaches and collection efforts.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 5/30/13 4:38pm
Msg #471731

Laughing, Linda. Cute. n/m

Reply by ToniK on 5/30/13 5:42pm
Msg #471742

This post should be updated since a few things changed. Can you get a membership for $39.95? Also SR is gone right? I still got the original manual!!! Lol

Reply by 101livescan on 5/30/13 5:50pm
Msg #471745

You have a major learning curve ahead. Hope you're ready...those of us who've been doing this for 12 or more years have major layers of experience with the ups and downs of the housing and lending market.

If I could ltell people one thing about how to survive: Know who you're working for, what information you might be providing that could result in your own ID theft and forgery of your own personal information, and make sure the companies have at least 4 and 5 star ratings in SC.

Work only for the best companies!

Good luck. You're in for a ride!

Reply by CJ on 5/30/13 5:56pm
Msg #471747

Read this forum every day.

You will learn a lot.

Reply by Blueink_TN on 5/30/13 8:55pm
Msg #471759

If in doubt, always ask

Your confirmation should list a number to call if you have questions or issues at the table. Take the time to call - never assume or guess if you're not sure. Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great since you've taken the initiative to post Wink

Reply by 101livescan on 5/31/13 7:36am
Msg #471787

if a company offers to pay you in 45 BUSINESS DAYS, run. They are holding onto your money for too long. GOOD, REPUTABLE COMPANIES have reasonable payment policies within two weeks, or 40 days. Working for title and escrow directly gets you paid at closing. BINGO.

Leave the rest. Only work for the best.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/31/13 8:37am
Msg #471795

Meant 30 days! Not 40, sorry! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.