Notary Rotary
question for closing tommorow
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Kate/PA on 5/21/13 8:26pm
Msg #470830

doing a double closing tomorrow & once again properties are located out of state.

on the AKA statements and all other notary spots say

Notary public in and for the "State of Georgia"

or I,_________________________ Notary Public for the state of Georgia
so it is different then my one last week wich seemed easier.

So what do do?
Thank you in advance.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/21/13 8:29pm
Msg #470831

single line through GA, initial, print PA

or attach compliant cert

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/21/13 8:52pm
Msg #470832

It might help to keep in mind that it is your responsibility to make sure that all notary certificates you complete meet the requirements of your state law and are accurate. So if there's something in a certificate that falls short or is wrong, you have the choice of fixing it or replacing it with a compliant certificate.

It should be as simple as that. It all starts with knowing your state requirements inside and out. Where the property is located should be irrelevant, unless it's a recordable document for a county somewhere that has very specific requirements. If that's the case, then your client should advise you about that.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/21/13 9:00pm
Msg #470834

Since there was a discussion a few days ago about strike outs, I'd suggest that you attach a clean, compliant certificate following your own state's laws. It doesn't matter where the property is located - THAT county recorder must accept your state's compliant certificate. The TC instructions should inform you of any specific requirements such as ink color, etc.

Reply by Kate/PA on 5/21/13 9:42pm
Msg #470838

thank you. where can I get a compliant certificate?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/21/13 10:07pm
Msg #470839

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/sample_notary_statements/12617

Reply by Kate/PA on 5/21/13 11:49pm
Msg #470848

thank you to all who answered

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/21/13 10:50pm
Msg #470841

From the link that Linda provided, I'd suggest you cut, paste, and save the acknowledgment (& jurat) wording to Word (or whatever word processing program you have). This way, you can customize it in that you can make the lines longer to accommodate full names, etc. Also, as you need them you can replenish your supply. This is what I do with CA acknowledgment/jurats....I've customized them so the lines are longer, I've typed in "My Name, Notary Public", and even have some that I've typed in my county - for those notarization completed in my county. Now, I only have to write in the date and signer's name, and <optional> description of doc at the bottom. Everything else is typed so it looks <very> clean.

Reply by Clem/CA on 5/21/13 11:02pm
Msg #470842

Try Here

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Pa.+Compliant+notary+certificates

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/22/13 7:16am
Msg #470857

The Googles

Yesterday, one of the young 'uns in the office at my j.o.b. laughed at me.

She, a relatively new hire, said, "You are so funny."

Me: Okay...but what did I do this time? I missed my own joke.

She: You get so EXCITED about Google. It's SO funny.

[I had just praised my newest hire for using Google (rather than asking me).]

Me: "No, that's not funny. It is serious that I have to train young people to do an internet search. You are young and have a college degree. Why would you ask your boss who has no college degree for information when you can look it up yourself? You have used up my time and your time.

And...do I look like Google? I didn't think so."

She: Oh...well...uh....snort harrumph...

I seldom get that worked up, but excuse me...don't tell me that I get "excited" about Google. I will bet that we do not have that conversation again.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/22/13 7:53am
Msg #470859

Let's hope not at least. LOL n/m

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/22/13 6:38am
Msg #470856

One of the counties in PA has a web page explaining what they look for in acknowledgements coming in from ANY state. One of their requirements is "Consistency - the named stated in the acknowledgement must be consistent with the grantor / mortgagor and with the signature. The names must match exactly (including any initials or suffixes)"

This differs from advice you might have seen in this forum being given to California notaries, who are sometimes advised to write whatever is on the ID in the acknowledgement certificate, even if it is different from what is stated in the mortgage.

The PA county site is

http://rod.montcopa.org/rod/cwp/fileserver,Path,ROD/PDF/Acknowledgement.pdf,AssetGUID,12685657-9ecb-4b50-9b1256461a393d56,rc,1.pdf

In 2012 the Property Records Industry Association (PRIA) came out with a "NOTARY BEST PRACTICES FOR RECORDABLE DOCUMENTS" in which they recommend that separate notarial documents, such as loose certificates, be the same size as the document. So ideally you would have both letter and legal size loose certificates handy.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/22/13 8:04am
Msg #470861

How did you find this info? Did you use The Googles? (nod to Brenda/TX)

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/22/13 8:52am
Msg #470864

I've been interested in names in general, and what notaries should do about names, for years. I search with Google, Google Scholar, or the databases provided by my local library and the Vermont Online Library. When I find something I might want later, I save it on my computer in a file such as "PA acknowledgement requirement for recording.pdf" Then I create a plain text file with the same name, but the file type ".txt". In that file I put the URL where I found it and the date I downloaded it. That way I can pass it along to others who might be interested.

Ever since DOS 3.0, I've had a habit of having a fairly sophisticated directory (a.k.a folder) structure on my computer, so I could locate files by subject matter. I was the one DOS users would come to, saying "I added a new file to my computer and it doesn't work anymore". The problem was they tried to put more than 99 files in C:\ (or some similar limit in early versions of DOS). I would preach my gospel of having a rational directory structure. (And most of these users were electrical engineers; you'd have thought they'd know better.)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/22/13 7:00pm
Msg #470942

I wonder how many people on this board have never heard of DOS... We sure have come a long way, haven't we?!! Smile

Reply by ikando on 5/22/13 9:26pm
Msg #470958

Janet, I started with CPM, the next step up from an electronic typewriter. Color me gray.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.