Notary Rotary
social security number for inspections?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Kathleen Kotasz on 5/8/13 4:23pm
Msg #469220

Hi all Smile New here, new to the business and trying to figure it all out.

I'm in the building stages while I wait for my commission and thought I'd start out with some inspections. Two separate companies have contacted me for some contract work:
1. sent me to their website where they ask for all personal info to include my social security number
2. sent me attachments to fill out/return, one contract and 1 w-2

Should I be wary to give out my social security number? I usually am very cautious about giving it out at all, but this is an interesting situation where I may get some work..? Is this normal, should I just fill out paper work and get going?

Reply by Robert522TX on 5/8/13 4:27pm
Msg #469221

go to irs.gov and get a TIN to give out instead of your ss number

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/8/13 4:29pm
Msg #469222

Always use an EIN; NEVER give out your SS# n/m

Reply by Kathleen Kotasz on 5/8/13 4:32pm
Msg #469224

oh thanks! didn't know I could just use that instead, I just put ein in place of ssn?

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/8/13 4:31pm
Msg #469223

Get an EIN and use that number (instead of SSN) on all W-2's:

https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/8/13 4:35pm
Msg #469226

I suspect you meant to say W-9s? Wink

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/8/13 4:37pm
Msg #469227

LOL - Yes sure did. W-9, not W-2! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/8/13 4:34pm
Msg #469225

YES, be wary! In fact, NEVER give out SSN.

Go online to get an Employee Identification Number or EIN. You can do that in a matter of minutes. That's the only number you should give out.

The next thing you should do is get familiar with the orange Search button on the home page of this forum. Nearly every possible question you can think of has been asked and answered here a number of times AND all that info is retained here in the archives via that tool. So always search before asking - and let us know you've done so - and you're be less likely for someone here to eat your lunch! Wink

I also recommend possibly going back to the beginning and trying to read as much here as you possibly can. Some things are dated - and you'll soon figure out that you can skip lots of the personal nonsense that's been posted here from time to time - but you won't find a better learning outlet.

Keep in mind, though, that sometimes even people who don't know much more than you do right now post with authority, so be careful about what advice you take. It won't take too long to figure out who to listen to and who to ignore. If unsure, just proceed with caution and/or do your own research.

Reply by Kathleen Kotasz on 5/8/13 4:41pm
Msg #469229

Re: YES, be wary! In fact, NEVER give out SSN.

Great advice JanetK, thank you!

I am all too familiar with the trial by fire aspect of online forums ..I love them, lol!

I've been searching all over for my notary forum "home" and think this is it; I have gotten so much great info from you all on here and definitely will watch out for the well meaning misguided ones Wink

Sorry if this has been discussed, I couldn't quite find much on it in search..

Reply by MikeIL on 5/8/13 5:12pm
Msg #469233

Re: YES, be wary! In fact, NEVER give out SSN.

Also make sure you are on the official IRS website. There is a website that looks almost like the IRS site, and they will "assist" you in getting your EIN for $200. It is free thru the IRS.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/8/13 5:40pm
Msg #469236

well meaning misguided ones.... >> (hey stop that!) n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.