Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: I
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 5/9/24 12:03am Msg #37050
Why I started with this question.

It's not uncommon for people to try adding a dimmer to an LED fixture and discover they have a flickering problem. If you changed out to an LED fixture, here's just a random video that will cover some basics for LED dimmers.

http://youtu.be/jEetxFYTs6w?si=zDh-xIzXh-pkbElC

SAFETY

I am not an electrician. Neither is the hardware person. I recommend a licensed electrician.

If you wish to continue, pick up a simple continuity checker while at the hardware store.

If your old switch is connected, turn on the light. Go to the panel box and flip the breaker that will turn off that light fixture while the switch is on and the lamp is lit. Alternately, you can shut off the main breaker. Put your continuity checker to each wire attached to the switch. I like a simple checker with a light. Light should not come on.

I recall you added solar. I don't know how that is wired to your panel. Another reason for an electrician.

Third reason for an electrician is you are not grounded. The green wire on your dimmer should be added to the other two wires that are capped. Otherwise, you become the ground if there is a short.

Yes, the red and black would typically go to the black and black that are currently in use.

The two capped white wires are closing part of the circuit leaving your switch to close the rest of the circuit via the existing black wires. Pretty basic.

Reconnect everything to the wall before closing the breaker switch. If the switch operates backwards, shut off the breaker, verify no continuity, and reverse the wires.

While this sounds like basic electrical, having an ungrounded switch is as close as you can get to an electrical hazard.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 I'm installing a dimmer - SC/CA on 5/8/24 7:04pm
 Re: I - Bear900/CA on 5/8/24 9:16pm
 Re: I - Bear900/CA on 5/9/24 12:03am
 Grounding a light switch - Bear900/CA on 5/9/24 12:19am
 Re: Grounding a light switch - SC/CA on 5/9/24 4:58pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.