Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: thinking it
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 5/14/24 1:46am Msg #37086
I purchased the Goal Zero 1000x Yeti a couple of years ago with its companion Goal Zero Boulder 100 briefcase solar panel.

Use: Camping and short-term home emergencies. I know you like to hike, not sure if you camp.

I also picked up an ICECO 12v portable refrigerator/icebox for camping.

They were among the best available when I purchased but everything gets outdated quickly.

Pros: The Goal Zero has multiple outlets, 120v, 12v and USB. It has multiple inputs, solar panels, 120v from wall outlet, and car 12v charger.

It works. I kept our full-size fridge/freezer running 2 winters ago during a storm. I think it would have kept it running for 24 hours. Longer, if you set your temp a bit higher. I give that a plus.

This year, I used it for some emergency lighting for a few hours. Could have easily used flashlights. If you have extension cords you can run a host of small items. Don't plan on running an electric heater. I have yet to try running my forced air furnace with it but was prepared to do so last winter.

Cons: Its can be heavy. I leave it in a convenient spot during winter. You don't want to move these around too much. When camping, I leave it locked in the back of the truck. The ICECO will drain it in 1 day so need the solar panels.

Solar panels have to be moved facing the sun and will not charge on a cloudy day. I would prefer 300-400 watts of solar panels, but you need a place for them. For home, I just keep the unit charged from house electricity and have it ready. I don't count on solar charging.

The setup is expensive but much less than a full solar powered house if you're not going to use it that much. We don't require A/C so for short outages the solar generator is just fine. And its portable and can be added to.

Would I do it again? Yes. With smart TVs, streaming, cells phones, pads, laptops, printers, modems and routers, and lights, you can stay connected for quite a while without using major appliances.

I'm a bit of a prepper at heart but don't go too crazy so this kind of stuff is up my alley.

If you have or get an RV this setup may be utilized. I'll be adding a dual fuel (gas and propane) generator down the road. I may also configure a cheap diesel heater someday for truck camping. I dream about quick getaways to go fishing without towing an RV.

PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Solar Storm Impact. who knew? not me.... - sigtogo/OR on 5/13/24 12:00pm
 thinking it's about time to invest in solar panels? - sigtogo/OR on 5/13/24 12:06pm
 Re: thinking it -  JanetK_CA on 5/13/24 4:04pm
 Re: thinking it - Bear900/CA on 5/14/24 1:46am
 Thanks Janet and Bear! - sigtogo/OR on 5/17/24 10:52pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.