Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #37089

1 replies
REALLY !!!
By Mike Goodey on 5/15/24 10:51pm

My wife and I decided to go out to dinner tonight. I happened to have 2 gift cards left over from my birthday last year so we decided to go to Outback restaurant. We usually don't go there because of so much fried food they serve.
Anyway we had a very nice server, Taylor, she was pleasant. We ordered our food, my wife asked her about not putting butter on her salmon and broccoli. No problem.

Our food comes out and my wife's broccoli had as much butter as mine did. Her salmon, she said, tasted like it had butter on it also. Taylor apologized and went to get the manager. He comes out and explains that he spoke to the chef and was told no butter was used. He then tells my wife he will have them cook another salmon if she likes. My wife agrees. I'm trying to wait and eat very slowly until my wife tells me to eat before mine gets cold.
Taylor comes out with the new dinner and it looks dry so no butter. Perfect!! After a while Taylor comes with 2 boxes for leftovers and the bill and tells us that the manager comped one of the meals. We told her he didn't need to do that but "Thank you."
I look at the bill and he did comp us a salmon dinner...we were charged for two!! 1 Chicken on the barbi and 2 salmon dinners. "We want to thank the manager for comping us for a dinner my wife didn't eat !!" REALLY???? Maybe that's why we don't go to Outback!

Msg #37080

3 replies
Solar Storm Impact. who knew? not me....
By sigtogo/OR on 5/13/24 12:00pm

very interesting article on solar storm impact on the earth.
We have incurred significant solar storms in our past. Remember Canada's 1989 power grid outage?
The comparison here of the power unleashed by a solar storm to that of the atomic bomb is mind boggling!
Gifted article:
http://wapo.st/4bkxTnF

Msg #37079

1 replies
Sam Rubin
By Mike Goodey on 5/13/24 11:59am

So sad to hear that Sam Rubin, KTLA channel 5 entertainment man passed away a few hours ago from a heart attack. I watched him a few times on local television...only those in Southern California may know of him.
Seemed like a genuinely nice person...may he rest in peace.

Msg #37061

3 replies
Retro tickets
By Mike Goodey on 5/11/24 1:07pm

My sister came across an old envelope with keepsakes in it while cleaning out some items left after my mom died. Mind you this was from 13 years ago. There were birthday cards from my grandmother and aunt from 1964. There was a letter from my grandmother when my mom and I had gone to Chicago to attend my uncle's funeral about the same time.
Lo and behold, there was a booklet of Disneyland tickets: "This coupon may be used for one admission to any A thru E attraction in Disneyland." Ticket numbers R014544.

Gee, I wonder if they are still good? There's no expiration on the tickets. There are 7 tickets. The cost of the booklet was $6.50. Pretty interesting, has a huge key on each ticket and the front of the passport has the Walt Disney story. 'Your Admission & 10 Adventures in DISNEYLAND."

Msg #37059

7 replies
Extreme Geomagnetic Storm (G5)
By  Yoli/CA on 5/11/24 11:18am

I was wondering what the he// was going on last night!! My cell phone (iPhone with T-Mobile) lost connectivity off and on for a few hours. My DirecTV Stream (5G smart TV; internet and streaming through AT&T) also losing connectivity off and on for those same several hours. I didn't try my computer so don't know how that was acting.

It was all a weather event!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/power-warning-issued-as-first-extreme-geomagnetic-storm-hits-in-20-years/ar-BB1mcEAg?ocid=socialshare&cvid=a7e7e5352d624d3d8ea47460dcc8e9b0&ei=14

Today ... everything's back to normal. Smile

Msg #37055

4 replies
"WE HAVE COVID!"
By Bear900/CA on 5/11/24 1:39am

"JUST DIG A HOLE AND BURY US."

Last text message from my sister today before saying she had to back to bed. We've been in touch as she's been sick all week. Then her husband came down ill. They finally tested and are both positive. We're obviously very concerned for both. Covid seemed to be a thing of the past.

Reminder, if you're of the mindset, to get boosted. We got our Spring boosters two weeks ago with no side affects other then a slightly sore arm.

We haven't masked but still watch our distance and still disinfect at home and work everyday. Still wipe things down before bringing them inside.

We had a dozen people over for dinner the same weekend we got boosted so are not hermits. Me nephew, and his wife who just graduated college with honors, will be visiting next weekend and we'll be celebrating that plus our anniversary. So, our social life is wide open.

Can't say how long our streak will last but we will just keep chugging along. Fortunately, neither of us has had so much as a cold since 2019.

Again, just a reminder if you're so inclined.

Msg #37048

4 replies
I'm installing a dimmer
By SC/CA on 5/8/24 7:04pm

switch, which I’ve done before, but it’s been a while and I’m a little baffled. I checked online and haven’t found anything definitive, so thought I’d check to see if anyone’s had experience with this.

The situation is that my dimmer-switch wires and junction-box wires don’t match-up exactly. The dimmer has a black wire, a red wire, and a green ground wire. My junction box has 2 black wires (which were previously hooked-up to a toggle switch). Capped off are two copper ground wires and two capped white wires. I kind of remember that it’s okay to do black to red, black to black (as they’re both hot in a light box?)...and cap off the green ground?..but wanted to make sure first.

Neither the instructions nor the manufacturer is helpful, so I’ll be bringing my dimmer into the hardware store tomorrow along with a picture of the junction box. But, on the off chance that anyone has been in a similar situation, thought I’d just check. You never know! :-)

PS - I'm being safe. Power's off. Things are capped. Already got the light fixture installed (looks good!), just want to do the dimmer now :-)

Msg #37043

0 replies
Sad
By Mike Goodey on 5/7/24 1:29pm

Prayers go out to the families of the two Caltrans workers killed while cleaning the embankment of the northbound 71 expressway. A driver of a box truck accidentally sideswiped a utility truck parked on the side and then careened into the two workers.
One of the workers died at the scene and the other succombed to injuries at the hospital. The driver passed drug and alcohol tests and is helping with the investigation.

Msg #37040

10 replies
Bear: Did DMV issue ever resolve? n/m
By  Yoli/CA on 5/6/24 11:30am

Msg #37039

1 replies
A.I. - Miracle or Menace ?
By Bear900/CA on 5/6/24 3:52am

http://youtu.be/86qKgK0asGo?si=7PQRn73Dzv3BpHDQ

Msg #37035

1 replies
Birthday bash
By Mike Goodey on 5/4/24 10:58pm

Went to a friend's birthday party tonight. She turns 70. She is an appraiser and has been for many years.
Wife and I came over to their house last year to look at their pool that a guy fixed up. That's how we ended up getting our pool remodeled and redone.

Anyway, we went into her home tonight and all the work they have done to it was amazing! They're 1800 sq ft. home is now 2600 sq ft. A huge kitchen and big island with stovetop. It's in the old part of Chino so they have plenty of land, especially the back yard. Two new patio covers, a huge bbq and bar setup with big screen t.v. and lots of cement. Hate to think what this must have cost them but I'm sure they took advantage of the very low interest rates a couple of years ago.
What I like is that they aren't sitting right next to their neighbors so the DJ was able to crank up the music. Wall to wall privacy, a jacuzzi under one patio, the bbq and bar, tv under the other. There was quite a crowd to enjoy this day.

Msg #37029

14 replies
Hey Bear,
By SC/CA on 5/4/24 1:11pm

Here are some relaxation techniques that my husband and I really like. But, before that, Here’s SNL’s take on navigating SoCal’s highways as seen in “The Californians.”

http://youtu.be/Tt-tG6ufH90?si=ZLijByfv-6GLs6eH

As an aside, my family in NYC and Long Island speak in the same exact traffic-speak in navigating their landscape, just different accents ;-)

For simmering down (ok here’s SNL’s simmer-down-now, I can’t resist)...

http://youtu.be/cOjqLNEeAKA?si=Vc8Eb_5UN7GUNHVQ ),

I like relaxation exercises at the end of my workout routine. Most of my workout videos (love twobirds yoga on youtube) have a small mediation at the end. Just 5 minutes makes a big difference for me.

Here are some others that my husband and I’ve enjoyed:

This hamstring/lower back routine has a nice relaxation routine at the end at about 39:31.

http://youtu.be/gDQNqZMv1V0?si=zK6eDe_he3-DvXU2

We really like brain education tv. This one’s a quick-fix for anxiety:

http://youtu.be/-4FnLWq_eOA?si=0zMBnkmeqSj8iojW

This one’s for the vagus nerve. We did the video every day for about one month and there was a noticeable difference in energy. It also improved my husband’s sleep.

http://youtu.be/zUx5kLFyx-M?si=4k3mOMMJiKODn6dV

For me, it's great as a quick everyday thing, Ringo Starr style :-) Happy simmering, with a smile!

Msg #37027

1 replies
Home for sale
By Mike Goodey on 5/2/24 2:06pm

A friend of ours died a few months ago so her grandkids put her home up for sale. The home is in Upland which is a very nice area especially up above 19th street. It's a 3 bedroom, with a new pool. They were asking $990,000 and took the offer of $1.2 mil.

There still isn't enough inventory of homes for sale. I keep getting calls asking if I'm interested in selling my home. I usually ask them "where will I go then?"

Msg #37024

2 replies
A little movement
By Mike Goodey on 5/1/24 4:07pm

Thought I had dance moves but it was just a 4.3 earthquake 6 miles from Corona.

Msg #37022

1 replies
I hate it when this happens
By Bear900/CA on 4/29/24 7:53pm

Nebraska brothers sucked out of their home by a tornado survive to tell the tale

http://www.cnn.com/2024/04/29/weather/elkhorn-nebraska-tornado-brothers-climate

Msg #37020

0 replies
Kaiser hit by data breach
By  Yoli/CA on 4/26/24 2:27pm

Well, it seems those low-lifes have hit just about every large bank and are working their way through the major health providers. UnitedHealth was already recently hit. Now, I read about Kaiser:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/us-health-giant-kaiser-hit-by-data-breach-millions-of-customers-informed-they-could-be-at-risk/ar-AA1nIZWG?ocid=socialshare&cvid=3817c93c4c73467d81a8a5121a312854&ei=21

I guess since they were able to breach the Pentagon, nothing is sacred. Dab nab it all!! ;(

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.