Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Is it OCD or is it 'Paying it forward'? You judge...
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 11/1/18 5:49pm Msg #30654
Just a thought while taking a break...

We have one of those mail box clusters in the corner of our neighborhood where about 100 of us neighbors pick up our mail. The mail boxes are on a 150 ft piece of sidewalk in front of a fenced off holding pond. No houses.

About two years ago one of the neighbors spent several days after work tidying up around the boxes, weeding and then painting each stand of boxes.

I complimented him and he sort of grumbled that no one else would do it. I had recently moved in to the hood and offered to lend a hand next time the weeds sprouted up. Actually, my old neighbors would tell him to move aside... yup, that bad.

So after all the rain last winter we had a forest of weeds and grass around the mailboxes, and the 150 feet of fence, curb, and every crack in-between. I got my gear on and sprayed the entire area then waited for it to die so I could come back and scrape it off with a shovel. Two days before my first knee replacement I scraped all the weeds and grass away and hoped to return to pick up the mess but we had Santa Ana winds that blew the grass down the road overnight. Oh well...

I could go to the hospital with my list of chores done. That was in April.

Last week, the entire area was starting to sprout so out came the weed killer and I just had to get 'er done before I left to San Diego. It would be out of hand if I waited another week.

The weeds died nicely and the wind returned blowing bits of garbage around the boxes. For some reason, that part doesn't interest me as there is no fighting the wind.

BUT...when I drove by today, I noticed a nice lady wearing a straw hat, with a bucket in one hand and a grabber in her other hand going at it around the mail boxes picking up trash.

Had to smile. Smile Poor thing has OCD...or is it a sense of community?
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Is it OCD or is it 'Paying it forward'? You judge... - Bear900/CA on 11/1/18 5:49pm
 Re: Is it OCD or is it - Yoli/CA on 11/3/18 9:10am
 Re: Is it OCD or is it - Luckydog on 11/3/18 11:07am
 I think it's called doing the right thing..... - notarydi/CA on 11/4/18 2:54pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.