Notary Rotary
Cancellation Charges ??
Notary Discussion History

Cancellation Charges ??
Go Back to December, 2003 Index

Posted by hicat on 12/5/03 4:19pm
Msg #359

Cancellation Charges ??

Does anyone charge (and get paid) when a signing appointment is canceled within 2 hours of the scheduled appointment time? I find, especially with emailed docs, that I am waiting until the last minute for docs, then it gets canceled. Or, I'm ready to go and waiting for the HUD to be faxed, then it gets canceled. Or, the docs never arrive and no one returns my calls until JUST before the appointment time. Or, etc, etc, etc. In the mean time I've turned down other appointments because I'm already booked and I'm ready and waiting to leave for my appointment (not to mention biting my nails to the elbow because of the stress!). A small charge to pay for my wasted time seems only fair to me but the signing companies have threatened to "remove me from their list" if I insist on it. All thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

Reply by Tina_MA on 12/5/03 10:17pm
Msg #363

Cancellation Charges ??
Posted by hicat on 12/5/03 4:19pm

Does anyone charge (and get paid) when a signing appointment is canceled within 2 hours of the scheduled appointment time? I find, especially with emailed docs, that I am waiting until the last minute for docs, then it gets canceled. Or, I'm ready to go and waiting for the HUD to be faxed, then it gets canceled. Or, the docs never arrive and no one returns my calls until JUST before the appointment time. Or, etc, etc, etc. In the mean time I've turned down other appointments because I'm already booked and I'm ready and waiting to leave for my appointment (not to mention biting my nails to the elbow because of the stress!). A small charge to pay for my wasted time seems only fair to me but the signing companies have threatened to "remove me from their list" if I insist on it. All thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some companies do pay a cancellation fee, most do not.

The way around this is to give the company a deadline to get the docs to you. Should you not receive the docs by that time, explain that you will need to cancel the appointment as it will conflict with your other obligations.

I also know of a couple of notaries that give the co sending the docs an incentive to send them early. They tell the co that if they receive the docs by such and such a time that they will give them a discount of say $25.00.

If I've printed e-docs and the appointment is canceled due to vital docs missing and whatnot, I charge the co for printing two sets of docs.

You have to choose to do what's right for you.

Good luck!

Reply by Integra_Sign on 12/6/03 12:28am
Msg #366

Earlier I posted a message about "Written Agreements." The reply, though explained very intelligently, was just that, "intelligent." Though it made a wealth of sense from a practical stand-point, the mortgage industry is not practical. Further, if you have nothing in writing, you have nothing to litigate. Verbal confirmations may hold up in some courts, but not in others. As professionals, one must always contract their services, or risk being construed as an employee, which we are not. So, you're just out!

As for "cancellation charges," companies that contract services with notaries should at least pay something for your time and effort. However, the flip-side is, they're not getting paid on the loan, so the mentality is, "why should you?"

Many Appraisers have gone out of business, because they conducted Real Estate Appraisals for Mortgage Brokers, and the loans failed and never closed. The Appraisers went without pay, which strained the relationship, but nonetheless went without pay. Their only solution was to write and forward the invoices to the Commissioner of Banks, who inturn published a Letter of Admonishment to the Broker, advising them to pay a just debt. Or, risk revocation of the Broker Registrant. But without a written agreement, it may be kind of difficult, as a professional, to enforce.

Reply by Tina_MA on 12/6/03 11:46am
Msg #377

Re: Cancellation Charges ??
Posted by Integra_Sign on 12/6/03 12:28am

Earlier I posted a message about "Written Agreements." The reply, though explained very intelligently, was just that, "intelligent." Though it made a wealth of sense from a practical stand-point, the mortgage industry is not practical. Further, if you have nothing in writing, you have nothing to litigate. Verbal confirmations may hold up in some courts, but not in others. As professionals, one must always contract their services, or risk being construed as an employee, which we are not. So, you're just out!

As for "cancellation charges," companies that contract services with notaries should at least pay something for your time and effort. However, the flip-side is, they're not getting paid on the loan, so the mentality is, "why should you?"

Many Appraisers have gone out of business, because they conducted Real Estate Appraisals for Mortgage Brokers, and the loans failed and never closed. The Appraisers went without pay, which strained the relationship, but nonetheless went without pay. Their only solution was to write and forward the invoices to the Commissioner of Banks, who inturn published a Letter of Admonishment to the Broker, advising them to pay a just debt. Or, risk revocation of the Broker Registrant. But without a written agreement, it may be kind of difficult, as a professional, to enforce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do not complete any signings unless I have written confirmation in my hot little hand. The written conformation assures my legal standing as a written contract for the signing at hand.

Signing broad based contracts DO NOT assure that you will be paid if you have no written confirmation for the job at hand.

99.99999% of the contracts out there are for the benefit of the SS's and do nothing but have notaries sign their rights away.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.