Notary Rotary
newly certified signing agent
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2003 Index

Posted by Joseph Miller on 12/23/03 2:05pm
Msg #475

I recently passed the notary signing certification and was looking for information on finding companies I can contact for signing assignments.

I am going to try doing this on a full time basis after March 1 once my current employment ends. Currently I work a full tinme job for a manufacturing company that is centralizing out of state. I am looking to do signings after hours and Saturdays until March. I reside in the Charlotte NC area.

Does anyone have any guidance where i need to begin this new venture?

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 12/23/03 7:14pm
Msg #480

Joseph... unless you are completely confident in your abilities and have a good background in this industry, I wouldn't count on this as a full-time income, unless you have another source of income outside of this. I do this full-time as well, but I also have 18 years in the escrow and title industry and over the course of the 18 years I've performed 1000's of loan document signings. Companies are going to be more apt to use you if you have experience behind your certification. In fact, every company I work for wanted to know initially my experience before they hired me... they didn't even ask whether or not I was certified. On the other-hand, if your area is not saturated with signing agents, you may get lucky. Just my opinion... but I would suggest you try it on a part-time basis first before considering it full-time. Good luck to you.

Reply by Barbs_MO on 12/27/03 5:10pm
Msg #490

I would get signed up with as many signing agencies as you can. Join the Signing Registry. They have a list of the signing companies, and other agents have graded them, so you will know (just like with Notary Rotary) who doesn't pay. They also have a great message board, to chat with other more experienced notaries and other newbies like yourself. Check it out. A few good signing notary friends that I have met on the Signing Registry swear by 123notary. I am listed there as well. So far I haven't gotten any jobs from them that I know of. Best of luck. December was my first full month, and I have done 16 signings so far!

Reply by joejm on 12/28/03 10:14pm
Msg #500

Thanks for some positve information. I was beginning to think that I couldnt get much from being a signing agent but with more notaries out there with positive messages it gives us that are new to this a more positive outlook.

I have signed with a few signing agents some want experience and others want references which I have none. Some want to charge you a fee which Im not ready to shell out money until I start making it.

Do you know if it is customary to give these signing agencies your Social security number, I don;t really feel comfortable doing that.

Thanks for listening (reading)

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 12/30/03 4:13pm
Msg #519

All companies will need you to complete a W-9 for tax purposes. There would be no other purpose for them having it... so unless you are providing your SSN on a W-9, don't provide it. You also might consider obtaining an EIN as opposed to using your SSN... I know many notaries do this in order to avoid giving out their SSN. I hear now that you can get an EIN immediately and on-line through www.irs.gov

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.