Notary Rotary
Written Agreements with Signing Agencies
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2003 Index

Posted by david mitchell, sr. on 11/29/03 8:27am
Msg #324

Does it matter or not whether there is a written signing agreement between Signing Agency and the Mobile Notary? Just skeptical about doing business without a floor up under me. Should I allow this to be a real concern in light of all the unscrupulous behavior going on?

Reply by Tina_MA on 11/29/03 3:50pm
Msg #325

Posted by david mitchell, sr. on 11/29/03 8:27am

Does it matter or not whether there is a written signing agreement between Signing Agency and the Mobile Notary? Just skeptical about doing business without a floor up under me. Should I allow this to be a real concern in light of all the unscrupulous behavior going on?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I prefer NOT to have a contract with anyone. That way, whatever I bill is what should be paid.

I do not like working with companies who deal with 1/2 fee for no show, no sign, or if the loan rescinds. I was there, I did my job, my job is NOT to sell the loan.

I do notice that a couple of companies I've dealt with have fine print on the confirmation stating that if the loan doesn't sign or if it rescinds I will only be paid 1/2 of the agreed upon fee.

I always call those companies back and let them know that if they do not send me a corrected confirmation that I will not be able to complete their assignment.

If a carpenter built an addition on your home and the day after he finished the house burnt to the ground, does that mean you don't have to pay him? -- or pay the lumber yard? -- or what about the electrician?

Or what if a mechanic put a new engine in your car and as you drove off the lot your car was totaled? -- do you get a refund?

In either case, NO, you must pay for the work that was completed. It is not their fault that the house burnt down or that the car was totaled.

Why is it that when we do our jobs we are expected to take a reduced fee or not be paid at all? How come they don't go after the appraisers for a refund when the loan doesn't fund or if the borrowers never show up?

If you do your job you should be paid. Contracts do not get you paid. 99.9% of them have clauses in them that state you will accept reduced fees.

Reply by Barbs_Mo on 11/30/03 10:42am
Msg #326

Amen! Tina! You said what I have been saying. Their contract holds us to their rules. We need contracts that obligate them to pay! Maybe we need to target title companies more ourselves. The title companies may not pay if it doesn't sign, but at least you make more money, and cut out the middle guy who can decide that you don't get paid for whatever reason!

Reply by Howy on 11/30/03 9:18pm
Msg #327

Thats a double amen from yours truely..
They have you by the proverbial short hairs and will go on to the next person on their list who is more 'pliable' if we doth protest too much.
What we really need is a Signers Union, but in this day and age, I hardly think thats feasible. So I can only hope the companies see the light and pay us for our effort. Yes I know - I'm dreaming, but hope springs eternal...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.