Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
CSA??? Doesn't experience count for anything?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2003 Index

Posted by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 10/21/03 4:38pm
Msg #146

I've been contemplating posting this message, but after having read Harry's post regarding the NNA, I decided to go ahead and do it! I am registered with many signing companies. When registering, most only wanted to know what experience I have in the industry and some wanted me to additionally take a short test to affirm my knowledge. Some; however, will not post me or use me over a "certified signing agent". So my lead to this post is this... Does a "certified signing agent" make him/her more qualified and experienced than a "hands-on", experienced person who has spent years either taking signings or in the industry as an escrow person? I think not! I personally spent 18 years in the escrow industry and suffered through four low interest rate crazes. I've sacrificed blood, sweat, tears, (literally) and my life to meet the demands of lenders and realtors. Now that I'm performing signings (for the last 2 years), I'm not as qualified as a so-called CSA, who, in some cases, has no where near the knowledge-base that I have? These companies keep saying they want qualified, knowledgeable people and I'm sure that most CSA's are qualified and knowledgeable, but that doesn't make them the ultimate choice in every situation. I have refused to become certified because I feel that if my knowledge and experience doesn't count for something with a company, then I don't want to work for them. Besides, why would I want to spend my hard-earned money to further line the pockets of one of these so-called "get certified" companies, when I've already paid my dues to this industry!!! On a side note.. I have had the pleasure to work with many wonderful companies who do take into consideration experience and not whether or not you're certified. Thanks for letting me vent!

Reply by LA_NOTARY on 10/21/03 6:17pm
Msg #148

Hi Ninna- AMEN!! Where I'm from (Louisiana), there is not one organization that I am aware of that offer CSA training. NNA, FERGETABOUTIT. They don't even recognize the boot!!! In my opinion, NNA is more often erroneous than not as far as being current in the notary laws from state to state. In my state, effective Jan '04, it will be mandatory for us to affix our assigned "notary i.d. numbers on each document AND pay a yearly fee to the Sec of State. I am a member of my local chapter and it gives me more info than NNA has ever gave. So far, a couple of agencies have asked me if I have the certification and when I state that training is not available to me in my area, they say that not having one won't make a difference anyway. They just confirm with me that I have the experience and move on. With the new and existing overhead I have to pay regarding my biz, at this point, I'm not about to pay more $$$ for training I don't need. Keep the faith....

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 10/21/03 10:27pm
Msg #150

Re: Re: CSA??? Doesn't experience count for anything?

Hi, Yolanda! Thanks for replying! I, too, am from Louisiana... in fact, you and I exchanged e-mails not too long ago. I'm curious about what you said about having to list our notary i.d. number on each document we notarize and paying an annual fee to the La. SOS effective 01/04. I haven't heard about this... maybe I need to visit our SOS website for more information. I hope all is going well with you and your business! Take care, Ninna

Reply by LA_NOTARY on 10/21/03 11:03pm
Msg #153

Re: Re: Re: CSA??? Doesn't experience count for anything?

Hi Ninna-As I was responding to your msg I remembered...we are the premier louisiana gals!!! Girl, let me tell ya-LA legislature has really turned things around regarding notaries. When you go to the SOS website, click on notaries and you will get the complete info on all the changes. Considering the changes, I wouldn't be surprised if some of us lobby to get full reciproisity of all parishes of the state!!! Give me a call so we can discuss the new info.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.