Notary Rotary
E Docs
Notary Discussion History

E Docs
Go Back to April, 2004 Index

Posted by Tammy on 4/26/04 8:54pm
Msg #1674

E Docs

Hi, I am new to the mobile notary business I need some information on how I go about accepting E Docs, what do I need as far as computer and printer go to be able to accept these types of signings.
Thank you

Reply by Donna McGee on 4/26/04 10:12pm
Msg #1675

Hello Tammy,
Welcome to the field! You should have a late model computer with plenty of space and memory and virus protection. More importantly - a good laser printer. Most of the folks here have a Hewlitt Packard printer. I have a low model (#1012) and I do not have any major problems printing anything - so far. Whenever a signing company assigns e-docs, they will normally direct you to where you can download the print utility. Some of the utilities are quite quirky. The more memory and functions on your printer, the less problems you will have with the various softwares. There was a discussion a while back on some quality laser printers. Try to search it out if you can.

Of course, you will need a supply of legal size paper and binder clips. Always have extra toner and a paper shredder in your office. That should get you going. I'm sure you will get more advice that will be helpful.

Reply by Tammy on 4/26/04 11:19pm
Msg #1676

Thank you so much thats a start and some very helpful hints

Reply by Joan on 4/27/04 7:29am
Msg #1677

Re: E Docs - Best HP Printer Deal

http://www.compu-america.com/prodLG.jsp?fap=bizrate&prodId=f1185497a4.180001

Reply by JulieK on 4/27/04 10:45am
Msg #1682

I just purchased the HP 1012 last week at CompUSA for under $150. You may want to check their website www.compusa.com to see if the sale is still on!

Reply by Joan-OH on 4/27/04 11:19am
Msg #1683

The 1012 has 8mb memory, vs 32 mb for the hp 3300. the HP 3300 also has the HP's PCL language. It doesn't seem that the 1012 has pcl. It might....I just can't find that information. If you are going to print docs and do this for a living, I would get the HP 3300. Some mortgage software programs absolutely require HP PCL.

I can vouch for this printer. I have an HP 3330 and I've purchased 2 HP 3300. There is nothing not new about this refurbed printer & it even comes with a "New" HP warranty.

http://www.compu-america.com/prodLG.jsp?fap=bizrate&prodId=f1185497a4.180001

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 4/27/04 12:30pm
Msg #1685

The HP 1012 printer will **not** work for edocs that require a PCL compliant printer. The 1012 uses a GDI (host based) printing engine instead of a PCL engine. In the HP line, the "bottom of the line" for doing edocs, is the HP LaserJet 1300. (Or, if you can find one, a 1200se.)

Reply by pattijay on 4/27/04 2:34pm
Msg #1686

Yes they will! You save it and print it. I've done several times. Never had a problem with mine except that you have to repace the cartridge every 2 weeks. I went to another that does 6000 copies per cartridge, another cheap brand Brother HL-1440 and it prints one set while the HP does the other. Wheres theres a will theres a way!!

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 4/27/04 4:12pm
Msg #1688

They will IF you can save it. Some files, like eLynx, do not offer you the opportunity to save the file in any other format. SwiftView docs can be converted to PDF and printed that way, but formating may be lost (though not usually). And may take much longer to print. If the file comes down strictly as a PCL file and uses a print utility that directly manages the PCL engine for the printer, you will not be able to print them except to a PCL compliant printer. (This is a problem that faces many Unix/Linux users: the utilities for printing are Windows based.) Many of the these utilities are constructed such that the end user (us) cannot view the files prior to printing. This is for security purposes, which inhibits the ability (for the most part) to modify any of the documents. The only option is to print them.

Reply by pattijay on 4/27/04 2:38pm
Msg #1687

Hi Penny

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.