Notary Rotary
New Sigining Agent Has Question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2004 Index

Posted by ah100993 on 4/19/04 8:21pm
Msg #1556

I am new to the signing agent industry and from what I gather it is most common for the signing agent to conduct the signing at the clients home. I am feeling a bit uneasy about going into a strangers home by myself. I am a petite woman and am worried about my personal safety. I have heard that it is ok to suggest a neutral meeting place to conduct the signing, but doesn't this defeat the purpose of making the signing convienent for the client? Any advice would be helpful.

Reply by Pam Gibson on 4/19/04 9:24pm
Msg #1558

I felt the same way as you did when I first started. Very nervous about my safety.
What I do, is let my husband know when I get to a clients home by calling him upon arriving. I also leave an address of where I will be. If he has not heard from me within an hour, he usually calls me and ask if I am o.k. I know you shouldn't answer the phone, but that is why he waits for about an hour. I am usually almost done. He will ask if I am o.k. If I come back with an off the wall answer, he knows something is up. Thank you God I have never had to answer like that. I keep my cell phone on the table at all times.
If you feel very uncomfortable going into a well known "bad area", take someone with you. This was discussed in the course I took a while back. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck on your new journey!

Reply by Roger/OH on 4/19/04 11:38pm
Msg #1559

Being a successful signing agent, by its very nature, requires that you be a mobile notary. While you should never compromise your personal safety for any signing, you're right that we are there for the borrower's convenience, not ours. When you accept a signing assignment, you are no different than a plumber, painter, or cable tv person who is there to perform a specific service at the customer's request. Most signings take 20-30 minutes after you get the hang of them; the borrowers want you to complete the procedure and then leave. I think it will be difficult for you to succeed if you look at every borrower as having some hidden agenda to do you harm. Some female notaries with similar concerns have established systems wherein they check in with someone before and after a signing, or are accompanied by their spouse, etc. Again, I would never suggest you
go alone to any signing that you feel is questionable, but the larger picture is that that you are running a business and you need to adapt to the nuances of it if you choose to pursue this. Best of luck!

Reply by sue on 4/20/04 8:04am
Msg #1561

I'm with Roger

I'm afraid of heights so I would never apply to be a steeplejack - if you're afraid of animals, don't become a dog groomer.

if this is temporary until you get your feet wet after a few signings, then do take someone with you. Maybe just to sit in the car outside the first few times. but if it is your nature and you're not going to get over your fear of meeting strangers in their homes, then I think this is not the job for you.

I've been doing this a long time and I do approx. 100 loans a month. Petite and me aren't in the same sentence but I have to say that I have never been afraid of borrowers (yes, their creeply homes, kids & animals) but not the people. If I ever got bad vibes, I would be gone immediately. I do carry mace and would never hesitate to use it although it is buried in the bottom of my bag because I've never come close to needing it.

Reply by Carolanne_PA on 4/20/04 5:47am
Msg #1560

I have gone to homes, offices, hospitals, coffee shops, etc. The thing to remember is this is being done for the convenience of the borrowers. If it were not we wouldn't be there. That said, your personal safety is top priority. Try to remember that anyone can be having a bad day. The impression you get from talking to someone on the phone may not be an accurate one. I am under 5'2" and have never been afraid of any of the borrowers or their dogs. Now their kids, well that's another story. I think it is also helpful to know your neighborhoods. You should be fine. Just have some precautions in place.

Reply by Jeremy Blansett on 4/20/04 11:11am
Msg #1567

where are you, maybe you can find another signing agent to go with you or tag along with untill you feel comfortable.

Reply by Brenda Stone on 4/20/04 11:40pm
Msg #1580

Your point is one that concerned me also. I am very aware of the dark side that exists in people.

That initial call to the borrower usually makes me feel like I have a better handle on who I am going to see.

In the evenings, I use the system of calling a buddy when I get there and they will check in with me in a specific amount of time if they do not hear back from me. I like to make sure that I am seen by the borrower(s) talking on the phone, and even better, giving out their address so they can hear it.

I was fearful at first but it has been a very comfortable thing for me. I know that good credit is not exactly an established hallmark of non-violent criminal tendencies in a personality, but I think it does filter out a lot of riff-raff thereby cutting down our chances of meeting with shady characters.

If you think about it, most of the people we serve have a perception that we have some greater standing in the process than we do. I think the sociopathic type would perceive we have a degree of power over them at that moment. Psychologically this does not prepare the criminal mind for being a predator.

The kind of things that we fear (rape / assault/ murder) are not likely to be done where the offender has identified himself by employment, credit history, and home address.

I am always aware and careful to keep my mind on my surroundings and I would not hesitate to walk off from something that made me fear the situation.
My 2 cents...Brenda

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.