Notary Rotary
Arkansas Journal
Notary Discussion History

Arkansas Journal
Go Back to August, 2004 Index

Posted by nah_ar on 8/23/04 1:56pm
Msg #6533

Arkansas Journal

I have read the guidelines for Arkansas Notarizing however I am unable to find anything on fingerprinting. We are required to keep a journal in this state and there is a column for the signers thumbprint. If you have any knowledge of whether this is a requirement or not please let me know. If it is please let me know what I need to do to begin thumbprinting. Thank ya'll.

Reply by TD/CALIF. on 8/24/04 1:28am
Msg #6582

You may want to check with your state's requirements by way of a website, or with the National Notary Association 1800-US-Notary, or the American Society of Notaries. Becoming a member to either one or both of these organizations has helped me greatly during the course of my notary career.

Reply by Gracie Miller/PA on 8/24/04 10:58am
Msg #6599

The Arkansas Notary Public Handbook on the SOS website (http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/corp_ucc/corp_forms/forms_03/Notaryhandbook.pdf) says:

The law does not require a notary to keep any record of
his/her official acts, but it is recommended to do so.
A register will offer an excellent way of recalling past
notarial acts. If a notary is called upon to testify in court, a
register may help establish what actually took place.

Suggested Format:
1. Date of Notarial Act.
2. Type of act performed.
3. Type of document involved.
4. Name and address of each person whose signature
was notarized.
5. Signature of each person whose signature
was notarized.
6. A “notes” section of personal annotations.

Nothing about thumbprints. It appears that any of the journals offered by USNA, Notary Rotary or other suppliers will work for you - just skip the thumbprint column. In fact, you don't even *have to* keep a journal if you don't want to.

But I highly recommend it, *especially* if your SOS recommends it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.