Notary Rotary
Deposition by Written Questions / Arkansas
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2004 Index

Posted by nahobbs on 8/20/04 9:20pm
Msg #6419

I have been contacted by a company to notarize deposition by written questions. I have not responded as to whether I would take this because I am unsure what this is (I have searched and cannot find a straight answer). This signing will also be 45 miles from my office (that is not a problem) however I am also unsure what a fair fee would be.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 8/20/04 11:06pm
Msg #6426

First, a question: Can Arkansas notaries take depositions?

If not, then it may simply be a statement by the person completing the questionnaire that all the statements are true and accurate, so it is more or less an affidavit which may have a jurat attached. (You would need to administer the oath.)

In Florida, we have a special certificate that we can use to "authenticate" that the deponent (the one making the deposition) was put under oath before the deposition was given. Typically, depositions are oral communications between the deponent and attorneys, then transcribed. The notary would then prepare and affix this special certificate to the transcription. In this particular case though, it doesn't sound like a deposition as much as it does an affidavit.

Reply by nah_ar on 8/21/04 12:41pm
Msg #6440

Here is the second email I received from the attorneys office as to exactly what the Notary responsibility is. What would a typical fee be for this?

This signing would be for a deposition by written questions. Our company sends subpoenas to obtain records to prove up in court.
I.E. medical records, employment records, insurance records, reports.

In this case the subpoena was sent to a wrecker service. For their records on a certain person.

If you were to go to the location you would not have to bring anything with you but your stamp. The custodian of the records is responsible for getting the information to us. You also wouldn't have to take anything with you when you were done.

It may sound different, and it is but it isn't hard at all. They will have a set of questions that they will need to be fill out and they will sign the witness line and you are really only notarizing their signature.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 8/21/04 1:16pm
Msg #6442

Sounds like a simple notarization, probably a jurat, so for fees you can only charge your state allowed fee for notarization plus travel and convenience, if allowed by your state.

For example, here in FL, we can charge up to $10 per notarized document plus "reasonable and customary" fees for the additional services, such as travel. So for me to do this in my immediate area would be $20; $10 notarization fee + $10 travel & convenience fee.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/22/04 7:34pm
Msg #6501

I do the medical ones often.
You can only charge your state allowable notary fees, plus a reasonable travel fee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.