Notary Rotary
Help help
Notary Discussion History

Help help
Go Back to August, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/22/04 12:05am
Msg #6458

Help help

Hi everybody, I did a signing today and after I got home, while reviewing the papers for the last time I noticed that one of the darn acknowledgements had the wrong state and the wrong venue. I already notarized it.
Do I need to go back the the borrower's house correct it and have them initial it, or can I attached a separate acknowdgement and send it back to the ss company, that way. I don't mind going back the borrower does not live that far from me.

Thanks in advance

Reply by Jon on 8/22/04 1:44am
Msg #6463

You will have to check your state's law. In CA we can simply line through the incorrect venue(state and county), initial it and write in the correct venue. My understanding is that in FL, you must do this with the signers present, as the certificate cannot be altered after you sign and stamp. I don't think that the borrower would have to initial anything as it is your part of the document, not the signer's. Check your state laws or list your state to get specific info.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/22/04 10:37am
Msg #6468

Jon
You are correct. Florida law is that once the document has been notarized. But the wording is that once you complete the notarization and return it to the document signer (or in this case the title company or lender) you cannot change anything. You would have to go back out and do the notarization again.

I read that as the key words are "return it to the document signer"
In this case the document has not been returned to anyone. So, I don't see a problem with correcting the venue and initialing it before it is returned.

So, I think anonymous can just go ahead and make the correction on the certificate and initial it.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/22/04 10:30am
Msg #6467

You don't say what state you are in.

You could just line through the incorrect venue and correct and initial it.
Borrowers do not initial corrections on a notary certificate, so they do not have to initial it.
No need for a separare acknowledgent, just correct the one on the document.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/22/04 12:42pm
Msg #6479

Thank you all, I'm New York State

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.