Notary Rotary
Prefessional Settlement Services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/18/04 5:40pm
Msg #6266

I have run into an issue with this company and was wondering if anyone else had worked with them and if so was it a good experience. I was contacted to do a closing 88 miles one way from my office I was told the docs had been sent overnight to the borrower. I asked three different times if there would be any docs to download and print and was told three different times no. I was also told the borrowers were available any time after 11:00 am to call and schedule a time with them and then call and let PSS know. I did all of the above. I go to the closing and witness the signing of all the documents that had been sent to them. When I get back to the office I have several emails to call PSS saying that it is urgent. I called immediately and was told I had failed to download the documents and have them signed. I explained to the lady exactly what my instructions had been. She sent to me another lady and I explained again. This lady told me that on the confirmation I had been sent it said "there may be documents that will need to be emailed or faxed to you". I told her I had read that but was told by ##### that there was not anything to print. I was then told they were not sure whether I would receive any payment for this signing since I had not completed it. The lady told me "You were blatantly lied to about this closing; however you still did not complete it so I am going to go to the owner and see if they still want to pay you anything. This is the first time this has ever happened to me...please let me know if you have had any similar experiences and give me some business advise on how to handle this. Thanks

Reply by CA_Notary on 8/18/04 6:59pm
Msg #6270

Well first I would give them the chance to get back to you and let you know about payment. You obviously deserve to be paid for this signing.

If they refuse to pay you I would immediately contact the title company and let them know why the signing was not completed correctly, who exactly told you that there were no documents, and that the signing service is refusing to pay you for their screw up. I seriously doubt the title company is going to pay you directly, but they very well may not pay the signing service either and might start shopping around for a less incompetent signing service. And make sure you let the signing service know that you'll be contacting the title company so they know exactly what happened.

I would also get on the phone with the owner and raise hell. Repeatedly if necessary. That usually works in getting all types of problems resolved.

Finally, this signing service has already shown their true nature to you. Don't be foolish enough to accept more work from them. And I hope you charged a hefty fee for an 88 mile one way trip. I wouldn't have done it for less than $200 and would have quoted $220.

Reply by Loretta Reed/MD on 8/18/04 9:49pm
Msg #6284

I have a closing scheduled with them tomorrow night. I don't know what to do now.

Reply by Liz/MD on 8/18/04 10:31pm
Msg #6285

Re: Professional Settlement Services

FYI Loretta I have done several for them with no problems, they pays quick and pay well.

Reply by CA_Notary on 8/18/04 11:18pm
Msg #6287

I would call them and tell them what you read here. Ask them how they can guarantee that you'll be paid for the signing if it's incomplete due to their error. If you get a satisfactory answer, great (I'd try to get something in writing, not just a verbal "oh don't worry, we'll pay you"). It might be a nice wake up call for them to know that their policies are being discussed on this board.

If you're not comfortable with the answer it wouldn't be out of line for you to tell them that they need to find another notary to do the job.

Reply by Fran-874 on 8/19/04 1:32am
Msg #6289

I have worked for them for almost a year. I have never had a problem with them. If the documents are emailed, make sure you have the HUD and junk docs. If your confirmation says you are going to get an email, wait for the email. And...why would anyone drive 88n miles for a closing? I never go more than 25 miles without charging more than the base fee.

Reply by Loretta/MD on 8/19/04 7:24am
Msg #6293

Thank you all for your input.
Where are you at in MD, Liz?

Reply by Liz/MD on 8/21/04 5:12pm
Msg #6447

I live in Bishopville, just outside of Berlin and OC. Where are you?

Reply by Loretta/MD on 8/22/04 10:49am
Msg #6472

Re: Prefessional Settlement Services....HI LIZ

I am in Pocomoke. Glad to see someone in my neck of the woods.

Reply by Liz/MD on 8/22/04 2:36pm
Msg #6484

Re: Prefessional Settlement Services....HI LIZ

Hi Loretta:
I get calls now and then for Pocomoke- if I cant' do them I will give them your name. I don't think there are too many of us on the Eastern Shore...which is great for us.
Take care...
Liz

Reply by Anonymous on 8/19/04 7:30am
Msg #6295

Welcome to rural Arkansas. There are only 3 Mobile Notaries within a 150 mile radius. That is why we drive so far to do closings. There are no Interstates in this area it is all narrow two lane highways. Therefore the demand to travel longer distances is extremely high.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/19/04 7:36am
Msg #6297

Can someone who has worked for this company tell me if they have you schedule your own appointment times or if they schedule them and then have you call and confirm. I was told by another lady there in the office that they never have the closing agent schedule these appointments. I have been doing this for a long time and very rarely have to schedule one myself, however this was a new client and from speaking with the lady that initially contacted me was told that was what I was supposed to do. Only to be told by someone else in the office, after the closing was complete, that was incorrect procedure. I am really at a loss because I have never had a problem like this before. Only good feedback from other companies. However I am worried this will reflect badly on me as a closing agent.

Reply by Fran-Wi on 8/19/04 7:47am
Msg #6298

I tend to forget not everyone lives in a city...i apologize. Though I am in Milwaukee..its only about 30 miles before you start to smell the cows. Smiley

Very often I have had to make the appointment with the borrowers. It really depends on the lender/title and if the documents are date sensitive. They may give you the day and you set up the time. Or...they send you the package and once you receive it you make an appt within 48 hours. It all depends. All you can do is read your confirmation carefully and roll with the punches.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/19/04 8:04am
Msg #6299

Not a problem about the mileage...wish I lived in a metropolis. We smell the cows when we walk out our back door!!!!

Reply by Anonymous on 8/19/04 9:13am
Msg #6300

Just an update I received an email from a lady at PSS stating although I was lied to and given incorrect instructions she did not think I would be getting paid for this closing. She stated to me "I will plead your case to the owner". I am sure that others have had great experiences with this company and I am very hesitant in saying that they are all bad, however I am definately questioning whether this is an isolated case. I took this closing as a favor to them due to the fact they could not find anyone else. Not only that, like I have already stated the closing was 88 miles one way and I only charged them a $70.00 flat fee!! What was I thinking that kindness and good deeds pay off. Boy was I wrong!

Reply by CA_Notary on 8/19/04 11:48am
Msg #6309

$70 for 176 miles?????? Yikes. If they couldn't find anybody else to do the closing, why on earth would you take such an obscenely low fee? You squandered an excellent negotiating opportunity. Kindness and good deeds have their place in life, but business is business and should be treated as such.

Reply by Loretta/Maryland on 8/19/04 1:23pm
Msg #6318

My starting fee is $100 within 30 miles but I will always negotiate with a company.
I only travel up to 45 minutes one way and email docs would run the closing $125 total.
I am a licensed title producer in Maryland which requires me to take continuing education classes and be licensed by the Maryland Insurance Administration. You cannot be just a notary anymore. I guess that's good for me but I paid $550 just to get licensed and bonded.
I have been doing it for 6 years now and won't walk out my front door for less than $75.

Take care all.
Loretta

Reply by CA_Notary on 8/19/04 3:52pm
Msg #6338

Loretta, what did you decide to do about your signing tonight?

Reply by Michelle_VA on 8/23/04 10:59am
Msg #6523

I have had pretty good experience with them. The first one I did got a little messed up. They were e-docs. When I did the printed the docs they were marked original and copy. I called to ask if I should have both sets signed and returned and I was told no, just the ones that say original, leave the set marked copy with the borrower. A few days later I get a call saying half of the package is missing. Boy was I mad!! However I explained what happened and why and we got it all straigtened out. They even paid me a second printing fee to re-do the remainder of the signing since I was given incorrect information. At the last minute the lender said never mind but since I had already printed the docs I still got the additional print fee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.