Notary Rotary
READ THIS PLEASE
Notary Discussion History

READ THIS PLEASE
Go Back to August, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/20/04 12:10pm
Msg #6379

READ THIS PLEASE

I just emailed this to Sign on the X - I'll let everyone know how they respond.

Dear Brie - I was just on the website American Notary Network & notaryrotary.com, and oh boy was there a lot of nasty things said about Sign on the X. You are on the “Notary Beware” list.

I have the docs for the Park signing. Please overnight my payment for this & the MacDougall signing in the amount of $170, to: XXXXXXXXXXXX

As soon as I receive my check I will release these docs.

If you want to work with me it will have to be on a C.O.D basis. This means you will have to pay me immediately upon completion of every signing by overnighting a check to me before I release the docs. If I make any mistakes (which are rare) you can adjust my payment for the next signing.

Sorry to do this, but your bad credit rating warrants this.

Reply by Julie-MI on 8/20/04 12:21pm
Msg #6381

Take this as an opportunity

Regardless of the payment history, you could probably get in huge trouble for holding the docs.

When opportunity knocks on your door, take it.

I would call the title company and tell them you have had problems with the signing company in the past. Be polite and business like, they could use you directly in the future. I would also call the lender, they hired the title company and tell them the situation. You may get zero results, but reporting signing companies to the BBB doesn't work, nor is it the proper channel. We need to report these "bad" signing companies immediately to title and lender. They have enough to do without the aggravation of dealing with notaries complaining about signing companies.

Suggest to the title company that they pay you directly. Again, it may not work, but holding the docs is not the solution either.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/20/04 1:15pm
Msg #6386

Re: Take this as an opportunity

This sort of matter should >>never<< be handled with a phone call. Always, always, always it should be done by letter, for many reasons: You say exactly what you want to say and no more, no less in a letter; a letter can get passed to several people, hopefully reaching the right one in the process; it can be sent to the SS for comment, etc. JUST BE SURE THAT THE LETTER IS PROFESSIONAL AND GRAMMATICAL, NOT LIKE THE STUFF POSTED HERE. Anything less will go in the trash basket. Have someone who knows how to write correctly help, if necessary.

Reply by Roger/OH on 8/20/04 1:05pm
Msg #6384

You are flirting with SERIOUS trouble!!

You CANNOT hold the docs hostage for your payment. The borrowers have NOTHING to do with your arrangement with SOX. If something happens to their loan (rate lock expiration, missed funding date, etc) because of a delay in returning the docs that YOU caused, the borrowers can take legal action against YOU. There are other ways to collect payment; reading the boards and not doing business with deadbeat companies like SOX will help minimize collection issues for you. Release the docs and deal with SOX yourself.

Reply by Loretta/Maryland on 8/20/04 2:00pm
Msg #6391

Re: You are flirting with SERIOUS trouble!!

I agree with you Roger, I have been doing this along with abstracting for 7 years and you should never hold the docs, the borrower can along with the title company/lender, sue you.
Once the loan lock-in date expires, the borrower's rate goes up and the loan is void. This happens within a matter of days and the loan is legally mandated to fund after the 3 day right to cancel is signed. The docs have to be to the lender on the next business day.

Can anyone recommend a good collection agency so that I can collect payment for the closings I have done and not been paid for?
Thanks.
Loretta

Reply by Ann Marie ~ NC on 8/20/04 10:46pm
Msg #6422

Re: Collection Info previously discussed...

Here is info that I had saved from a previous discussion on one of these forums...

Becky Bergman currently does some collection for notaries. You may reach her at [e-mail address] - FLR Services. They are nationwide and pay me 70%. My contact person is Allen Windrim and you can reach his at 877-399-2999 or via e-mail at [e-mail address]. I hope this helps.

Reply by Maureen/nh on 8/20/04 8:59pm
Msg #6417

I just had a couple tell me they lost $2000 dollar because the notary sent the docs in late. As far as I know ths was carelessness and not a deliberate hold up attempt. Do you want to be responsible for some thing like this?
You should have checked the SS out first before you you felt you had to attempt blackmail.
As has been pointed out, you are an official of your state and if you do not take your duty to the citizens of your state fist and formost, perhaps you ought to think about resigning your commission.

Reply by Loretta/Maryland on 8/21/04 6:20am
Msg #6432

To make the decision a little easier, I have gone to several notary websites and typed a list of companies that have bad reputations of not paying on time or not paying at all. I am going to take this list with me every where I go so I will know what to say when the signing company calls.
Loretta

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/21/04 7:48pm
Msg #6452

Can you spell I-D-I-O-T? No one forced you to accept the signings, especially since it appears that you are well versed on their payment history. Furthermore, I hope you have sufficient E&O insurance, because holding the borrowers hostage is no way to go about getting paid and is apt to get a lawsuit slapped on you. If you felt so strongly about posting your e-mail, why are you hiding behind your Anonymous signature?

Reply by HisHughness on 8/21/04 9:33pm
Msg #6453

Carolyn...

Cut her some slack. She posted this in #6389, which you apparently did not see:

***Ok I'll release the docs. But here is their response I just received.

Hi Cathy -

We pay our notaries every month if a notary does not invoice us than they do not get paid, or if a notary invoices us late they get paid late. Unfortunantley

Some notaries go to the boards and complain about every signing company. I assure you that if you invoice us properly you will get paid on time. The way our system is set up is that the month you complete the signings the following month is when payment goes out to the notary. Please send the docs for the signing that was completed.

They are waiting to fund the loan.

Thank you

Stacy Marks

Sign On The X, Inc.***

She also posted a subsequent message in which she noted that she had released the dox. This is a learning experience for all of us. Before paddling somebody, maybe we should try being instructive.

Unless, of course, they are asking the 1,214th repetition of the same question. In which case >>I<< get to paddle them.

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/22/04 12:15pm
Msg #6478

...Cut her some slack. She posted this in #6389, which you apparently did not see:

I've been on two weeks vacation, so posted before reading threads for the entire two weeks.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.