Notary Rotary
Signing question
Notary Discussion History

Signing question
Go Back to August, 2004 Index

Posted by Pat on 8/18/04 7:23am
Msg #6234

Signing question

Actualy two. On the bottom of the secondary mortgage loan, there are spaces for the buyers to sign, by each space it says (seal). Is that the notary seal? Why would I notarize by each name?

There is also a completion certificate and ackknowledgement of right to cancel. In the bottom sectoin of this form there is the Seller's certificate where the Sellers name is listed at the bottom and right underneath there is a By_____________. Who signs in this space?

Thank you so much. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/18/04 8:24am
Msg #6236

Ignore that "seal" by the buyers name. It is archaic!

Fax me over that other one - 321-234-9266 and I will take a look at it.

(Is this a purchase?)

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 8/18/04 8:47am
Msg #6239

Question 1. I once attended a closing in a large bank (not as a notary) were the borrower had no fingers and he used a stamp with his signature. ????

Question 2. I was told this is for the settlement agent, so I always leave it blank, and I have never heard back from any of my clients for leaving it blank. (maybe they just fill MY name in and go on.) ??

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 8/18/04 10:45am
Msg #6247

Q1: At least in FL, if you have a medical condition which prevents you from physically signing your name, a facsimile stamp of your signature is acceptable.

Q2: We are not the Settlement Officer. The title/lender/settlement company should not put our names there, only the person actually performing the settlement.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 8/18/04 10:45am
Msg #6248

Q1: At least in FL, if you have a medical condition which prevents you from physically signing your name, a facsimile stamp of your signature is acceptable.

Q2: We are not the Settlement Officer. The title/lender/settlement company should not put our names there, only the person actually performing the settlement.

Reply by Gracie on 8/20/04 10:43am
Msg #6377

Q1. Sylvia's right, the (seal) is archaic, but here's why: in the "old days," people had personal seals that they applied next to their names whenever they signed legal documents. You'll see the (seal) notation most often next to witness lines on forms that haven't been modernized.

Regarding signing with a signature stamp, it's not acceptable in PA and a great many other states.

Q2. Sorry, can't help you.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/20/04 1:24pm
Msg #6387

Gracie said:

***Q1. Sylvia's right, the (seal) is archaic, but here's why: in the "old days," people had personal seals that they applied next to their names whenever they signed legal documents. You'll see the (seal) notation most often next to witness lines on forms that haven't been modernized.***

This is not necessarily correct. The "l/s" after a name may be archaic in form, but not in application. As pointed out in this forum several weeks ago, it rachets up the legal significance of the signature. I'm sorry, I can't recall the precise ramification, but it is not simply excess verbiage: It has a purpose. Someone, perhaps the all-knowing, ever-helpful, never-cranky Sylvia/FL, noted that it may extend the time available for a party to take legal action, and I suspect that is correct. It is analagous to a sworn vs. unsworn statement: That oath means something, and it is something that has legal significance.

When this subject came up before, I tried to ferret out the significance of the personal seal from the remnants of my law library, but my contracts material is long gone. Sorry I can't be more precise.

Reply by Gracie on 8/20/04 3:12pm
Msg #6396

What are you talking about, Hughness, with the "I/s" in your response to my post? I'm talking about the word seal in parenthesis after a signature line. Are we talking about the same thing?

(And why does this sound like marriage counseling?!)

Reply by HisHughness on 8/20/04 3:24pm
Msg #6398

Gracie wisely inquired:

What are you talking about, Hughness, with the "I/s" in your response to my post? I'm talking about the word seal in parenthesis after a signature line. Are we talking about the same thing?

(And why does this sound like marriage counseling?!)***

We're talking about the same thing. L/s is the abbreviation for locus sigili, which is Latin for the place of the seal. So, "(seal)" or "l/s" mean the same thing. And I still don't know the exact import.

This is nothing like marriage counseling. You haven't said a word about my drinking, and I've been totally silent about you flirting with your boss.

And let me tell you something else, Missy: I'll leave the lid up any danged time I choose.

Reply by Gracie on 8/20/04 3:29pm
Msg #6400

I'm just getting started, Sir Hughness, your drinking is 25th on this long list I'm reading from. And I have invented a device that will slam that lid down at the most inopportune time for you.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/20/04 4:34pm
Msg #6406

Been there, done that

Gracie threatened:

***I have invented a device that will slam that lid down at the most inopportune time for you.***

That brings back painful memories. When I was about four, our toilet seat had lost the rubber bumpers on the bottom. Most of the time, I was a blissfully unaware child who was off somewhere in Lalaland, not too different from today, 63 years later. I would go to the bathroom, and using the enamel bowl to provide a prop, would serenely empty my small bladder; this was one of the earlier manifestations of the hands-free devices so common today. Unfortunately, one day something brought the seat crashing down. Mother had to scrape me back into my underwear with a spatula. The incident had ramifications even into my young manhood. And I think I'll stop there.

Reply by Gracie on 8/20/04 3:32pm
Msg #6401

I do appreciate your knowledge, Sir Hugh. Thanks for sharing it, no matter what Anon says. And your humor as well.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.