Notary Rotary
Always be prepared!
Notary Discussion History

Always be prepared!
Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 12/14/04 7:29pm
Msg #13638

Always be prepared!

This morning I got a call for two general notarizations. After discussing the number of documents and notarizations required and price, we set up the rendezvous at a gas/quick stop for when she got off work. We got the particulars of what each of us would be driving.

I arrived about 5 minutes ahead of time and locked myself in my vehicle because I realized it wasn't the safest part of Denver. Subject vehicle pulled up and parked beside me. We each rolled down our windows and discovered we were who we were supposed to be. She invited me to sit inside her vehicle so I took my briefcase and did so after locking my vehicle -- okay, guilty -- I didn't want it stolen right there under my nose.

She already was familiar with the drill. It turns out that she had just refinanced a few weeks before. She handed me her driver's license without me even having to ask for it. While I was filling out my journal she wrote a check. She had asked me ahead of time if a check was okay or if she needed cash. I accepted the check because I have all her information, including driver's license number and where she works -- if it's not any good, I'll take it to the DA.

Entire transaction cut and dry took less than 5 minutes. I won't drop any names, but she works for a large, national phone company, or I guess, telecommunications company as it's described in this century. This company seems to have lost their only notary due to accepting an early retirement package that many of the larger companies are offering today.

My mind was whizzing with what an opportunity this could be and forming my attack in my head when she asked me for several biz cards that she could post on the bulletin board and pass around. I liked this woman -- she thinks like me and can read my thoughts! I gave her a number of cards and we shook hands.

As I exited her vehicle and got back into mine, I noticed this elderly woman with her nose pressed up to her car window and was just staring at us. I'm sure in her mind she knows that she just witnessed a drug deal. If the police show up at my doorstep, I'll know that she wrote down my license number.

At any rate, I'm not going to get rich from doing general notarizations, but to become the "off-site" notary for one large company like this could prove to be worthwhile. You just never know who will ask you for biz cards, so always be prepared.

Reply by Brenda Stone on 12/14/04 8:10pm
Msg #13642

Said CarolynCO: "Subject vehicle pulled up and parked beside me."

Of course, she said more than that, but as I read her post the words sounded like Friday's, and I could hear the "dum dee dum dum" of Dragnet playing in the background.

-------------------

Very insightful post, Carolyn, even with the dramatic sound effects my head's backup band was playing. Thank you for posting it.

B

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/14/04 9:06pm
Msg #13646

Brenda said "even with the dramatic sound effects my head's backup band was playing."

I've come to the conclusion that you, me, Hugh, Cali and probably a few others have missed our true calling.

Reply by Becca/FL on 12/14/04 9:51pm
Msg #13650

Showing my age now.........I hear "dum dum" from Law & Order. I do remeber Joe Friday, though. I'm not that young.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/14/04 10:14pm
Msg #13652

Becca,
you didn't say if it's the original Joe Friday or the newer Joe Friday -- what about Book um Dano?

Reply by Jan/CA on 12/14/04 11:31pm
Msg #13659

Caroyn, I too was an employee of a large telecomunications co in CA, and started doing this after I accepted an early retirement last year. The way I see it, we had so many different locations in the state, that I really can't see you getting that much work from them. I worked in a large building with over 500 employees, and we had no notary, but we did have a bank across the street where people went when they needed a notary. Sorry to burst your bubble but I just don't see it happening.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/15/04 8:21am
Msg #13675

Jan,
That's okay, you aren't bursting my bubble, and I haven't put in my order for a new vehicle. I know that I won't be kept busy doing notary signings for them. However, my thoughts are that people know people. You just never know when someone might need a notary for their personal stuff. It may be after hours when a bank is not open. Even if one person knows one person . . . I'm actually quite surprised, although thrilled, with the number of general notary calls that get from my "paid" online memberships.

People can sit around and wait for signings or think of ways of marketing to get their name out there, even if just for a little pocket change doing general notarizations. JMO.

Reply by Nd_WA on 12/15/04 9:25am
Msg #13682

Very thoughtful suggestion Carolyn,

I been in similar situation many times, better yet, a number of my signings have turned out that the borrower is a L/O who did his/her own financing. You got it right, I was asked to leave more than one business cards before leaving the signing. I think having business card is absolutely essential for NSA.

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 12/15/04 9:38am
Msg #13683

It also goes to say that You are a Notary Public first, signing agent second.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.