Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Client blew me off....should I still get paid?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by kcNot_KS on 12/29/04 6:44pm
Msg #14912

Have a funny story to share. Had a couple of signings today from same lender. Morning signing was delayed - docs were not ready. Reschedule to afternoon. While at signing, client noticed error on HUD-1 with regards to some pay-offs. Waited around for Title Co to fax new HUD to customer's son's house (lives close by), but he was out having lunch with family. To make long story short, signing finally finished 2 1/2 hours later. Rushed back home to complete post-closing and went to drop off package at UPS. Threw me off 10mins for next appointment. Contacted borrower and politely informed her that I was on my way but that I would be 10mins late for our 6:00pm appt, and to confirm driving directions I got off Mapquest. She gave me the directions but suddenly became upset. She said, "From what you're telling me where you are right now, you won't be here till 6:15, I don't have time to wait for you all night. Once you get here, how long will it take?" I told her it may take about 30 mins. if she understood all the documents she was about to sign. I could almost sense steam coming out of her nose when she said "Why the heck would it take that long? I'm really not happy with all of this. This has already been cancelled once. (Lender did not have documents ready on Friday before Christmas so rescheduled the appointment) I'm going to call my loan officer and cancel the whole thing". SLAM!!! (The phone).

Wow!!

So, I called her loan officer and as soon as I introduced myself on the phone he laughed and began to apologize. He said that the borrower left an irate message on his voicemail wanting to cancel the whole thing because I was going to be 10minutes late. He said that she's been difficult to work with from the beginning and refuse to spend anymore time with her. I left my phone number with him and told him that I was turning around to head back home (by then I was only 15mins away from her house). If she changed her mind, I wouldn't mind going back out.

Now, this was originally a $90 assignment. It was originally supposed to be an overnight doc. but it turned out to be e-doc. How much should I bill the Title company? $25 for the e-doc? I declined another assignment for the same time and day and now I'm out of both. Boo Hoo Hoo.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 12/29/04 7:35pm
Msg #14917

Did you contact the hiring title company and tell them what was going on? If the title company that HIRED YOU didn't cancel with you, then you should have gone to the signing. The LO isn't paying your fee. You may not get paid by the title company. That's one problem with working for title companies, you don't get paid unless the loan funds. (Not all title companies are like that though.) But since you took it upon yourself to not follow through, I submit that the title company won't pay you because you didn't hold up your end of the bargain.

Reply by kcNot_KS on 12/29/04 7:59pm
Msg #14920

I did call the title company and they told me they will let me know if it will be rescheduled. I don't quite understand what you meant when you said I "didn't hold up to your end of the bargain". I didn't take it upon myself to turn around and head home, the client said she din't want to proceed and will call her LO to cancel the loan. What should I have done?

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 12/29/04 8:17pm
Msg #14921

You didn't say the title company, who hired you, said it was canceled. Before you headed home, I would have called the title company for instructions on how to proceed. A phone call from the title company and the LO may have saved the closing so you could have done your job. If possible, always call the scheduler or processor assigned to the closing as soon as possible, even from the table.

Reply by kcNot_KS on 12/29/04 9:28pm
Msg #14931

Well, the title co. didn't literally tell me to cancel. I called them and told them that the borrower didn't wanted to cancel (the loan) because I was going to be 10mins. late. At that point, the scheduler said to me that they will let me know once they hear from the LO.

Let's say the borrower decided to cancel the loan and go with another lender. Should I bill the title co. for the e-doc?

P/S wouldn't it be funny if I get called for the same customer with a different lender!!!

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/29/04 8:57pm
Msg #14927

Paul.

By way of background, let me say that I have learned a lot from your various posts and usually I agree with you. This time I don't. Well, in theory I do. But my goodness, it seems to me that the borrower is calling the shots. So what if the title company had said go to the signing. The borrower (more significantly the "home owners") said don't show up.

I believe it is important to stay in touch with the title company as it was the hiring entity, but it seems that the nsa did just that.

Sometimes people get bent out of shape for no reason at all. I had a signing which I postponed from Thursday midday (of last week) to Friday midday (overnight docs - because of the snow storm). No docs by late Friday morning. so I talk to the woman of the couple (she seemed to be the one calling the shots) and try to postpone it to Sunday; she gets all irate and decides to cancel. I mean hello!! It snowed there too!! Sometimes people are for one reason or another beyond reason.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 12/30/04 8:04am
Msg #14965

>>> So what if the title company had said go to the signing. The borrower (more significantly the "home owners") said don't show up. <<<

Ted,

Let me say it this way. I would not have waited to call the hiring title company. I would have stopped right where I was at, and called from my cell phone, rather than delay the call. If I was told to continue to the signing, I would as that is their instruction. If the borrowers didn't show, that's too bad, as I, the signing agent, just did what I was told and expected to do. Granted, the borrowers make the ultimate decision, but I don't take the word of the broker or loan officer. If a borrower tells me they are not going to complete the signing, I immediately call the hiring title company to let them know. They often are not aware of the situation since the borrower is in communication with the broker who often doesn't let the lender know, who in turn neglects to inform the title company.

I don't advocate forcing the signing on the borrowers, only keeping my "boss" informed now rather than later.

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/30/04 2:12pm
Msg #15026

Paul,

Ok, Now I understand your perspective better. TX.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 12/30/04 2:34pm
Msg #15030

>>> Ok, Now I understand your perspective better. <<<

Ah, communication and dialog. What a wonderful invention. Smiley

Reply by "The/Your CLIENT... on 12/29/04 8:17pm
Msg #14922

is the person or company that HIRED you (Siging Service, Title/Escrow Company/ Lender). The BORROWER/S are who you are HIRED by your CLIENT to meet with. They are not the same unless the Borrowers HIRED you directly, & then they would be YOUR CLIENT.

Reply by Julie-Mi on 12/29/04 8:51pm
Msg #14926

Well, were you supposed to break down the borrower's door and force your way in?

You called the loan officer to cya, but you were late and title may not pay.

Seems like you do a lot for this client, so sometimes you have to decide if $25 for the edocs (when you were late) is worth haggling over.

Just curious, was it really necessary to waste 10 mins to go to a UPS drop box and do the post closing?

Many times my closings are back to back and I never ever go home for post closing work if I have an appointment to get to. I never use drop boxes for docs either. Since you had the run around for the previous closing, there should have been an understanding that the docs could not get out the same day.

Just food for thought.

Reply by kcNot_KS on 12/29/04 9:44pm
Msg #14932

Yes, you're right. It was probably a bad judgement call to spend the 10mins in post closing previous loan. I thought I would make it on time....but in the back of my mind I didn't think 10 mins. was such a big deal. Learning the hard way! But I also thought I was complying title co instructions to overnight docs same day for daytime closings.

I haven't billed anyone yet, so I'm not haggling with anyone. My question was if it was rightful to ask to be paid the $25.

Reply by BrendaKhan on 12/29/04 11:19pm
Msg #14940

I had a similiar situation happen to me before and upon calling the SS to inform them of a verbal cancellation from the borrower, they instructed me to bill for printing and apologized for wasting my valuable time.
So to answer your question, did you print docs? Then charge for them. BK-FL

Reply by Lee/AR on 12/30/04 1:13am
Msg #14953

In one word: YES! (nm)

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 12/29/04 11:53pm
Msg #14944

Wondering why

If you were running late, especially due to a cause not of your fault and for the same lender, why did you bother getting out the pkg.
If a signing finishes late in the day, and there is a RTC, it is usually ok the send the pkg back on the following day. In this case you had a built in excuse to not send out docs same day due to HUD problems, late docs, etc.
You also should have told second bwr that you were running late because her docs were e-mailed instead of delvd. It seems that she was looking for an excuse to cxl due to probllems long before you became involved
It is usually a good idea to advise the bwr as to possible lateness when you make your confirmation call. Let them know that if an earlier signing takes longer than expected. late docs, traffic, etc. that you might be late, but that you will keep them informed. Find out if they have a need to be finished by a certain time. and try to get them to agree to a "window" such as no earlier than 5pm but no later than 8pm
Also give them your cell #

Reply by kcNot_KS on 12/30/04 12:23am
Msg #14949

Re: Wondering why

Good advise. Thanks. I'll use a "window" appointment next time. I honestly didn't think that 10 minutes was going to be such a big deal. I wouldn't have bothered with post-closing the first assignment. I guess I took it for granted that having to drive to her, 20miles away on a major interstate that she could accept a 10 min. potential delay. Silly me!

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/30/04 12:35am
Msg #14950

Re: Wondering why

Bob,

You truly are a wealth of information.

That "window" idea is the Signing Agent Tip of 2004 in my book.

Thank you for sharing it. (Bob's a Brad Pitt look alike, or is it Walter Mathau Smiley )

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/30/04 12:17am
Msg #14948

From a practical standpoint, I'd call or fax the title company and tell them what happened. Possibly, they already know the bwr was a problem.

I think that the borrower was probably not going to sign anyhow, but that's beside the point. It sounds like she's a hot head and there may have been a little angel flapping around on your shoulder for this one. I'd count my blessing that I did not have to confront that, but that's just the way I see things.

Getting there late is bad, of course, but it happens. If the bwr wanted the loan, she'd have made arrangements to be available for more than 45 minutes after 6 pm, IMHO.

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 12/30/04 10:32am
Msg #14986

I think this borrwer was looking for an easy way out of the loan and used this for an excuse. Being a little late 10 to 15 minutes, should not be a big issue. A lot of things can happen in this small amount of time. Just yesterday afternoon I was 30 minutes late to an assignment because, The Oklahoma highway Patrol & The Cleveland County Sheriffs Office were searching vehicals on US 77 for an escaped prisoner from the Lexington Prison. Now this wont happen to everyone, just me lol, but it goes to show what can happen. Notify the company that hired you? YES. Proceed to the signing anyway after the borrower tells you not to, I dont think so, It is their home, and if they dont want you there, you better not go knocking on the door.

Reply by kcNot_KS on 12/30/04 12:01pm
Msg #15004

My instincts exactly. SAs are typically expected to wait at least 15 mins. before calling it a "no show", a 10min delay (for whatever reason) is not unreasonable, especially that I called (20 mins before the schedule appt.) to say I was running behind. Funny thing is the brw works in a medical office. Since when are appointments at doctor's on time? She should be used to that sorta thing. I did call the hiring company immediately. First time (soon as I got off the freeway to make U-turn) it was voicemail, second time I got to talk to live person. After my 1st call to title co., I called the LO who said that he had already received msg from his "insane" client and he called her back but she didn't answer the phone....very suspicious, isn't it? I hope they stick her with non-refundable fees for all work that's been done on this loan so far. I'm sure title company will get some payment.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.