Notary Rotary
Coast to Coast
Notary Discussion History

Coast to Coast
Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by anonymous on 12/14/04 11:40am
Msg #13570

Coast to Coast

I'm ticked off, so I have to spout. I went to a signing and the borrower refused to sign, due to loan docs being incorrect. Received 3-4 pages of new docs via fax, but the borrower did not have any copies in the package.

I went to The Mail Center to make copies (their doc feed didn't work) so I hand fed 102 pages of docs, took one hour, cost $10.00.

Coast to Coast will only pay, $25.00 for the first trip (even though I was there 45 min.), $50.00 for the 2nd trip and 10.00 for 2nd set of docs. I expressed my unhappiness, so I probably will not get anymore work.

Okay I feel better. Feel free to tell me if I'm greedy or if you feel I have a legitimate grip (not that this group needs encouragement to give an opinion...lol).

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/14/04 12:24pm
Msg #13584

Not sure if I totally follow - so were the first set of docs overnighted? Or were they e-docs that you also had to print out?

Reply by anonymous on 12/14/04 1:03pm
Msg #13590

A set of docs were overnighted with no borrower's copy. The first set was good, except for 3 or 4 docs, which were corrected and sent via e-fax. I then took all the pages and copied them, this amounted to over 100 pages in total.

Sorry I was seeing red and therefore was not clear on my first msg.

Reply by PEOPLE! on 12/14/04 4:48pm
Msg #13626

It is NOT what "THEY PAY", it is WHAT YOU CHARGE! We are Independent Contractors, not EMPLOYEES! Set YOUR OWN FEES! Tell these Companies what you CHARGE for your Services! If your policy is FULL FEE for No Signs/No Shows/No Funds, then TELL THEM! If your fee is $25 to make Borrowers Copies, TELL THEM. Let them know BEFORE you do the job, not AFTER. If they do not agree in writing, tell them to find someone else! Always get your fees confirmed in writing. Don't accept it verbally! JMHO

Reply by calipat/ca on 12/14/04 6:12pm
Msg #13634

It has happenned to me twice. Docs overnighted no borrower's copies....NOT MY PROBLEM!! I called SS and I told them I was not making copies for the borrower's unless I got paid for making them they said, "Don't worry just take originals".
I feel if there are not copies then you have two choices:

1. Don't bother making copies
2. Call whomever sent them and tell them if they want copies for borrower's it is extra $$, make sure you get a confirmation.

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/14/04 7:49pm
Msg #13639

No problem. Thanks for the clarification. I trust that I wasn't the only one who was a little bit unclear as to the actual scenario.

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/14/04 4:54pm
Msg #13627

Why on earth would you accept a $25 signing? You don't have a legitimate gripe, you were a fool to accept this signing in the first place. You REALLY need to get a crash course in acceptable fees before you do your next signing. There are plenty of fee posts on this board, I'd suggest you use the search function and start hunting.

And it is not our responsibility to make copies for the borrower (unless it's edocs). Let the borrower contact their loan agent to get copies if they don't include them in the overnight package.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 12/14/04 6:19pm
Msg #13635

This company is a piece of work. I quoted $75 for my fees and haven't heard a peep from them. I also did as Calinotary suggested and provided a fee schedule for my cities. This is firm and so far, I have only dealt with companies who aren't acting dumb about my pricing.

Reply by AngieCA on 12/15/04 1:23am
Msg #13668

CaliNotary

I did not accept a $25.00 signing fee, since the borrower refused to sign initially, Coast to Coast said they'd only pay me $50.00 for the signing and $25.00 for the return trip. I may have acted foolishly, CaliNotary, but I am not a fool. I'm going to teach you to be tactful if it kills me (or you do). Anyhow I do appreciate your advice.

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/15/04 2:13am
Msg #13669

Re: CaliNotary

Well that definitely does make a little difference. However, you reversed the prices in your original post. You said:

"Coast to Coast will only pay, $25.00 for the first trip (even though I was there 45 min.)"

I still stand by my statement that anybody who accepts a $25 signing is a fool. But I'm definitely glad to know that you're not one.

And there is a reason I have such tactless moments. It's not just to be a jerk, it's to provide emphasis for something that I consider to be a huge mistake or a huge problem. If somebody is accepting $25 for a signing, like I thought you were doing, they need to be told in no uncertain terms that they're doing something VERY wrong. If somebody is accepting signings without knowing how to complete an acknowledement, they need to be told in no uncertain terms that they're doing something VERY wrong. If somebody asks how to set their fee schedule I suggest that they use $1.25/mile and search the board for the previous threads that have discussed this. See the difference?

I don't know that too many people have noticed the distinction (although BrendaTX has, bless her Aggie heart) but when you see me being that "tactless" it's because I think it's a vital point that must be made. People may think I'm a jerk when I post that kind of stuff, but the point definitely stands out. And it's obviously standing out based on the number of replies I get from people who are annoyed or appalled by the way I say it. Shock tactics are a proven attention getter.

I must admit, I'm reading and rereading your inital post and I still can't quite figure out the chain of events - how many trips you made, when you made the trips, when you received the faxed docs, etc.

Either way, if the loan docs were wrong and a second trip was required, I wouldn't do it for any less than my full fee. Why should you have to make a second trip at half price for something that was their fault? This company sounds awful and obviously doesn't value the work that their notaries do at all (10 bucks for a second loan???). You'll be lucky if they don't call you again, but on the off chance that they do your only response to them should be "hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha". There are plenty of good companies out there, don't waste your time with these cheap bastards.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.