Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Compiling a list of neanderthal companies
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/8/04 9:32pm
Msg #13066

Greetings my Fellow Notaries:

Some of you are not able to appreciate the input I give and the work I do. For those of you who are not able to, then please ignore this and don't take part. For those of you who do appreciate a human existence, then read on...

I am willing to take on a project if you guys are willing to provide me with some information... I will begin to compile a list of companies with their client/vendor relations habits. I cannot promise that this is going to be a quickly generated list, for I plan to conduct statistical analysis on the data and attempt to give notaries a general consensus for the average pay times for various signing agencies...

If you guys are interested in this, let me know, either by E-mail or by posting... If I get enough interest generated, I will develop a self-report survey which I can distribute. What I will need for you all to do is provide the requested information and return it to me via E-mail or fax... If you would, please let me know what type of information you would like to see compiled so that I can create an instrument for measuring this data. Please E-mail if you like, to [e-mail address].

Reply by Becca/FL on 12/8/04 10:19pm
Msg #13073

Why reinvent the wheel???

NotRot has a rating list for SS's, Rhonda posts her "NoNo List" on a regular basis and NotaryBeware is a web site dedicated to bashing bad SS's. If you read through all the posts on this site you should have enough info. to get started.

My point is, the information is already available. However, if you have the time on your hands to undertake such a task, go for it. I just don't see the point of yet another "NoNo" or "beware" list when they are already available to anyone who is willing to do the research.

Myself, I choose to make my own decisions and draw my own conclusions in regards to who I will work for.

Reply by Becca/FL on 12/8/04 11:46pm
Msg #13081

Or, re-invent the wheel???

Hugh, please correct me in the future. I need all the help I can get.

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/9/04 8:21am
Msg #13096

Re: Why reinvent the wheel???

Becca,

I find the notarybeware site to be a little more balanced. There are positive comments about companies when warranted.

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/9/04 10:40am
Msg #13102

and for those of you with positive experiences, we could toss that in the report as well... I am asking for your input as to what I should include besides the obvious... Hey, if you just want to be ungrateful, that is fine with me as well. I just thought since I already have access to SAS analysis software, and I am going to have a break around Christmas, that I might do something for my fellow notaries. If this is the response that I get, then I will just keep my very good information to myself.

Reply by Kari on 12/9/04 1:02pm
Msg #13110

I'd be grateful if someone composed that list.

We can all think for ourselves and make our own judgments but if someone is willing to help out other notaries by compling a list I think that would be great. I'm sure there are many notaries that would appreciate it. Put me on your Christmas list. I'll be sending you my email address.

Thanks for your time & effort Ken!

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/9/04 10:39am
Msg #13101

I agree that one should make their own decisions... However; just like in psychological research, the more data you have available, the more information and inference you can make. All these boards and such are available, but on many different sites and one must read and spend a horrible amount of time to get an opinion of a company. I want to compile actual statistical data, i.e. the original invoice date, amount due, etc... and conduct statistical analysis such that you can see the mean and standard deviation across all the agencies and then look at each agencies mean and determine if you are willing to accept their record of behavior. I am sorry that you feel that this approach is difficult and reinventive... Maybe it is just me, but I prefer not to have to join 50 boards and pay all the fees involved with each one and then have to spend my free time reading information that may or may not give me a statistically significant basis for an opinion.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/9/04 11:29am
Msg #13107

I agree with Becca in that we should use our own judgment in deciding what signings to take. One person's no no list is another person's yes list.

As for you compiling invoice dates, amounts, etc. -- there is no set-in-stone signing rate -- that would be construed as price fixing. Additionally, SS's pay differently -- some ask what your rate is, others quote a price and you counter and they accept it or move on to the next SA. Depending on what fee someone will accept, it's not that uncommon for the same SS to pay different rates to different SA's for the same or similar signings. There are already many references to No Pay and Slow Pay SS's. However, you will rarely read favorable SS's posts, probably for selfish reasons. My own way of judging a SS is to do a siging and see for myself how long it takes to get paid and don't do another signing until the outstanding signing is first paid.

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/9/04 3:23pm
Msg #13132

I do not intend to use prices in this report, unless you guys want me to note the total amount each company is reported to be past due... I am well aware of anti-trust regulations, but that would not be an issue. You can look at statistical means as a way in which to set your rates... That is not price fixing... I am not going to give an opinion on the company, only present the statistical data and let the readers decide.

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/9/04 5:57pm
Msg #13146

How can you compile accurate statistical data about prices and/or past due amounts when you don't have access to their entire billing records? Statistics based only on information that is voluntarily given to you is completely worthless.

Reply by Nd_WA on 12/9/04 9:00pm
Msg #13171

It would be worthwhile if we can think of ways to stop the "low-fee" trending.

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/9/04 9:15pm
Msg #13175

I just simply refuse to work for those low fees. The funny thing is that those very companies usually call me within days of that closing asking me to go correct the errors of their low fee notaries. They learn their lesson. In the end, it all comes out in the wash.

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/9/04 9:14pm
Msg #13173

Actually, you are wrong... Think about it, most psychological research is conducted based upon self-reported information. When someone takes the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory), it is entirely self-report. There is a scale built into the instrument, the "L" scale. It tests for lying, comparing answers to answers. It is obvious that you guys are not quite up to the level you need to be... So NEVER MIND!

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/10/04 11:37am
Msg #13241

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? You didn't offer to conduct psychological research, you offered to create payment and fee statistics. You wouldn't get accurate results unless you were able to access their entire pay history.

Since you're not quite up to the level you need to be, let me break it down for you to where you can understand it. On your list is Sesame Street Signing Service. During the collection of your data you have 3 notaries email you who are still waiting for payment after 45 days. You have zero notaries email you to say that they have already received payment. By these statistics your results would show that Sesame Street never pays its notaries.

However, in this scenario there are also 300 other notaries in here who HAVE received timely payment from Sesame Street for their services. These 300 notaries also found you to be an arrogant jerk and didn't want anything to do with your little ego masturbating project, so they never emailed this information to you. So your "statistics" are completely wrong and worthless.

Now that THAT'S cleared up, and now that you've made a huge spectale out of grandly announcing that you've retracted your offer, why don't you just go away? I'm sure there's some MENSA wannabe board somewhere on the internet where your grandiose, overinflated, self important, pseudo intellectual ramblings will be welcomed and you'll get the butt licking you obviously need to validate yourself as a person. Because in here you're just coming across as a huge blowhard, the Cliff Claven of notaries.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/10/04 11:44am
Msg #13245

CaliNotary said:

***your grandiose, overinflated, self important, pseudo intellectual ramblings will be welcomed and you'll get the butt licking you obviously need to validate yourself as a person. Because in here you're just coming across as a huge blowhard, the Cliff Claven of notaries.***

Geez, Cal, I'd sure hate to see it when you >>really<< don't like someone.

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/11/04 12:20am
Msg #13323

"Geez, Cal, I'd sure hate to see it when you >>really<< don't like someone."

That's when I stop being nice and stop censoring myself Smiley

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/9/04 10:52pm
Msg #13196

Re: You are contradicting yourself

In one post you say:
"I want to compile actual statistical data, i.e. the original invoice date, amount due, etc.."

and in another post you say:
"I do not intend to use prices"

So Mr. Whitton, would it be fair to say that these two statements oxymorons?

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/9/04 9:16pm
Msg #13176

Maybe the better idea is to create a list of troglodyte notaries...

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/9/04 9:16pm
Msg #13177

Maybe the better idea is to create a list of troglodyte notaries...

Reply by Loretta Reed on 12/10/04 8:16am
Msg #13215

I actually think that you Mr. Whitton would be a better shrink in the back woods of Kentucky than a notary or a real estate agent. You are a good friend.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.