Notary Rotary
First Signing Question
Notary Discussion History

First Signing Question
Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by Donna_CA on 12/11/04 1:12pm
Msg #13343

First Signing Question

I have a signing today at 4:00PM. I was supposed to get e-docs yesterday but there was a missing file which prevented my being able to open the documents. The SS couldn't open them either and called the Title Co. They didn't have the missing file so they sent the docs by Fed-Ex which I received about a half hour ago.

My problem is that the docs are still dated for yesterday (12-10). I know it's illegal to backdate but will it be an issue if the borrower's dates are today (12-11)? This is a B of A Refi and I'm comfortable with the docs. Just not sure about date issue and don't want to start my career off on the wrong foot.

I tried a search for related topics but didn't come up with anything and I am getting a recorded message from SS saying it is after hours.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 12/11/04 2:07pm
Msg #13345

Docs can be dated yesterday with no problems as long as your notary certificates are dated for today. As for the date the borrowers write next to their names on the signature line is up to them. Most will use the current date as well.

Also, check to make sure the dates on the RTC are correct. Signing/transaction date = 12/11/04, expiration date is 12/15/04. If changes need to be made on the RTC, each borrower must initial the changes.

Reply by Donna_CA on 12/11/04 2:22pm
Msg #13347

Thanks a million. You've reduced my stress levels back to normal. RTC looks good.

Reply by Glena/NV on 12/11/04 2:42pm
Msg #13349

Donna,
Just keep in mind...backdating has nothing to do with the date on the documents. It has something to do with the dates you use on the notarial certificate.

For instance:
BORROWERS SIGNED TODAY and the lender asks you to DATE CERTIFICATE FOR YESTERDAY - that is BACKDATING

BORROWERS SIGNED TODAY, lender asks to DATE CERTIFICATE FOR TOMORROW - that is PREDATING.

ALWAYS date the documents on the day that the borrowers appeared and signed in your presence.

Reply by Donna_CA on 12/11/04 4:50pm
Msg #13351

Thanks Glena. I definitely think I'm ready now.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.