Notary Rotary
From MI,thinking of sign up with the National Notary assoc
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by Ks on 12/28/04 9:46pm
Msg #14707

Hi I have been trying to weight my options on becoming a notary. I think I am leaning towards yes, for many reasons . I am just confused on if its worth paying a company to get you work or do you try to get work own your own (which may be hard with no exp). I talked to the National Notary Assoc. They told be the charge $115 for supplies and commissioned I believe and they say they will get me work in my area ( is the true has anyone every went through them is it worth it)? Plus $90 for online training I believe. I live in MI and my main concern is how do I get the work? Can anyone help me ? I have been searching sites and seems like I can get the same thing for cheaper , but the National Notary Assoc says they will let me know of avaivable notary jobs in my area thats why I am leaning toward signing up with them.

Anys suggestions or comments ???

Reply by Jon on 12/28/04 10:15pm
Msg #14716

Re: From MI,thinking of sign up with the National Notary ass

NNA stands for Not Necessarily Accurate. They won't actively give you jobs as they are not a signing service. They will put you in their database, and companies can call you if they want. Spend your money elsewhere, you will get a much better value.

As for getting jobs, you will need to do some legwork, just like any other business. If you read all the posts on this board, you get a great education.

Reply by Happy in Fl on 12/29/04 3:49am
Msg #14807

Re: From MI,thinking of sign up with the National Notary ass

Ks-MI Believe a Premier Membership on Notary Rotary will probably 'pay-off ' in signings more than thru NNA. (It has for me, thats for sure)

When you sign up- you can post your Photo- your experience- etc., There are many Testamonials of that here relative to that.

In this Forum- if you Click the little orange square box, nect to Posters name- you will see what I'm referring to.

Wish you the very best in your endeavors as a Notary. Welcome.

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/29/04 10:00am
Msg #14827

Hi KS,

Hi, I have some thoughts, but they are rather too lengthy to go onto on this board. Plus the fact I talk better than I type. So if you wish send your phone number to my email ([e-mail address]) with a good time to call, and I will give you a call.

Best wishes.

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 12/29/04 11:22am
Msg #14842

In a word -- Save your money. No one can guarantee you work. Depending on the area of MI that you are in, you may or may not be able to get work, i.e. Detroit Metro is saturated with notaries who fell for the NNA get rich quick scheme. Having said that, if you think you want to do that, read every notary board you can find, learn all that you can learn, network (if possible) with other notaries and MARKET, MARKET, MARKET yourself. There is no fast road to success. Also be sure that you want the life style that we have to live (last minute signings, slow and or low pay, not being able to have much of a social life, especially from the 15th to the 25th of each month. You also should be someone who does not require a structured life because in this business (if you treat it like a business and not just pin money) almost everything is subject to change. It is not unusuall to have five signings in your appointment book and end up with one or none due to cancellations or rescheduling! You will have little or no control over your schedule, you might have one for 9 a.m. and not another thing until 8 or 9 p.m. or 4 or 5 one day and then none for the next several days. And the problem with starting new in a saturated market is that everyone wants experience and references. When I started 3 years ago the business was at its zenith and the first 2 or 3 months, I was lucky to get 2 or 3 signings a week and I turned down nothing! I also worked at least 40 hours a week just trying to get business. Also, you will need a fast computer, a hi speed internet connection, a fast laser printer(PCL6), a plain paper fax machine, a copier, a reliable car and a cell phone with at least 1500 anytime minutes. Don't expect to recoup your initial investment for at least six months. Don't mean to paint such a black picture, but it is reality.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 12/31/04 2:38am
Msg #15085

Good advice! And if you are in one of the more competitive markets, recouping your investment in six months would be doing very well! Can't remember who it was, but someone on another forum suggested that you have enough operating capital to survive 18 months before expecting to be well established. Naturally, everyone's lifestyles are different and "break-even" comes at different levels. Also, there will be great differences geographically. Bottom line, take the income claims you hear with a grain of salt. Regardless of where you are, not very much business is going to find you. You have to go find IT!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.